Bradley folder 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: Bradley folder 2

Post by Cujobob »

The hole isn't necessarily too small, it's somewhat restricted by the liner/handle though similar to the Southard. In fact, the Southard, from my memory, was very comparable to open with the hole.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I do want to make it clear, I love this Bradley 2. It feels amazing in the hand when it's open and is very smooth, as well. My main issue with the lock is just that, often times when I use a knife I'm using it quickly then putting it away. This lock is probably great for extended use but for quick in and out, I believe it's a little slower to do so. Middle finger flicking works really well, btw.

I'll probably buy another one and modify that one. I like the slim profile so much I don't know that I want to change out the scales on this. I think some canvas micarta would be amazing, though.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I have a question for the owners.How secure is it in the hand in a stabbing motion ?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The southards hole isn't occluded.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Cujobob wrote:My main issue with the lock is just that, often times when I use a knife I'm using it quickly then putting it away. This lock is probably great for extended use but for quick in and out, I believe it's a little slower to do so.
Have you tried releasing the lock with your index finger? Assuming you're right handed, move your thumb to the Gayle Bradley Logo side of the hole and use the tip of your index finger to release the lock while your thumb applies counter pressure. Turning your hand so the back side of your hand faces up while doing this can help while you're developing the muscle memory.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Mine is here!!!! F&F is GREAT.. Flickability with the thumb is smooth!!! Lock.. Not so much.. Gonna have to play around with the un-lockness a bit!! ;) Feels super in hand.. Sharp as a scaple.. Time will tell.. But best of all.. NO choil!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Could anybody with both models please measure the Spyderhole diameters and post up for comparison sake?
measured with calipers:

GB1 @ 13mm
GB2 @ 12mm

Oohhhh, close. Dirty dozen, or lucky 13? :D
Thanks for measuring.
Going back to Caly.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

The first time I saw the GB2 at a Spydermeet I thought it was a shame to loose the choil but many people will be happy to see it go, it's a somewhat more traditional design now and feels a bit like a Sebenza to me.
My question: is there someone with the GB2 and a Sebenza who might want to make a comparison pick?
I quite like the feel of a Sebenza and I really love M4 so I will probably end up buying one eventually.. Would like to see how they compare though.
(and also how they would compare "in pocket", how wide the GB2 is when folded)
Last edited by Joris Mo on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Instock at BHQ!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

elena86 wrote:I have a question for the owners.How secure is it in the hand in a stabbing motion ?
I just got mine last night. I would say the answer to your question is not great. I would get something else with a better traction plan and choil if "stabby motions" are your priority. I do really like this blade a lot. But it's not something I would use in the way you described. The jumping on this one is more cosmetic. It's small and doesn't grip all that much IMHO. Hope this helps.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I have small Sebenzas and obviously this Bradley 2. I had the Sebenza 25 and it did not seem nearly as ergonomic, to me, as this Bradley folder. The hump didn't feel natural to me. I sold it off for that reason.

As for stabbing motions, I would would say...it's not ideal. The CF handle texture is not grippy. It stays put nicely for normal cutting motions, but stabbing would really rely on the small row of jimping. The jimping keeps your thumb in place fairly well, but it's not a long row of jimping so it may be possible to slip off of it/over it.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

image.jpeg
Took this deer hunting with me this morning (unfortunately I didn't get anything to use it on)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wright.88 wrote:
image.jpeg
Took this deer hunting with me this morning (unfortunately I didn't get anything to use it on)
Too bad. I haven't got to go at all this season. Too busy with work. :(
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. After fondling this knife.. I decided it is not for me.. So off to the retailer for a refund it goes... Just a little too big for my tastes in a folder.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

I just got my GB 2, and I've got the GB 1 already. So far despite what I predicted, I like the GB 1 more. I thought for sure it would be the other way around. I still really like them both though.

Personally the exposed liners work perfect on the one. The way it feels, it fills your hand, and gives it that rounded feeling. I have average, medium size hands. I feel the exposed liners on the 2 don't feel as good. Still fine, I'm just comparing them. The 1 just fills/fits my hand perfect.

I do like the blade shape a tad more on the 2. I like the grind on the 2 how part of the blade has a horizontal grind, or grind marks moving from pivot to tip. Excuse my ignorance of knife terms. It makes the blade seem a lot longer than it actually is.

I like how a previous poster described the blade deployment as almost hydraulic like. That is a good description. The GB 2 is my easiest deployed spyderco out of my 6. Once I practiced with it some, I have no problem closing it.

I usually don't like carbon fiber. I know this is "fake" and just a top layer. But I was surprised to really like the look. I don't think it goes with the theme of hard use but I do like the CF layer they use on some of their Taiwanese knifes.

After holding them both it puts the GB 1 in a whole new perspective. What a knife, them liners, wow. It stinks that it has to be discontinued (not to take anything away from the 2). In my mind there is room for both, but I understand. They really are 2 different knifes all together though. The GB 2 is a better everyday edc choice and I think maybe will have a tad more mass appeal, just my 2 cents.

I am loving them both. Paging Mr. Ketchen..... :D

Last edited by Shockwave on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

jmh58 wrote:Well.. After fondling this knife.. I decided it is not for me.. So off to the retailer for a refund it goes... Just a little too big for my tastes in a folder.. John :)
A 3" to 3.25" GB3 with a similar shape to the 2 would be very welcome.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Shockwave wrote:Image
Thank you for the comparo pic! I hadn't seen one yet. The GB1 is perhaps my favorite knife of all time, and have a unopened spare just in case. I've been eagerly awaiting my unshipped preorder, but have a suspicion that I will end up with the same opinion as you. Either way, I'll be happy to have the GB2 as a more practical EDC, and the GB1 as my go-to worker.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Shockwave wrote:
But I was surprised to really like the look. I don't think it goes with the theme of hard use but I do like the CF layer they use on some of their Taiwanese knifes.
I agree that carbon fiber doesn't always scream "hard use" but I find that it's absolutely up to the challenge. The carbon fiber on the GB holds up better than g10 in the wear and tear department (in my experience).
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra