Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Who here likes and loves the Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara with the FRN handle and the stainless steel blades? It is beautiful, inexpensive, and well-super-engineered.

I am one who likes it a lot.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Post by Mad Mac »

A pair of Caracara (Mexican Eagles) migrate through our property, sometimes sticking around for a week or so. For that reason, I bought a Byrd Cara Cara for myself and one for my helper for work knives. They are a good value and we have been very pleased with them.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderEdgeForever

Mad Mac, would you say the Cara Cara would do well in cutting up beef steaks and butchering chickens and fish for meals ?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Mad Mac, would you say the Cara Cara would do well in cutting up beef steaks and butchering chickens and fish for meals ?
Probably, but really can't say. I bought the Spyderco kitchen knives for that sort of thing. I'd be reluctant to use a folder for food preparation. However, I did flick open a Spydie in a restaurant once to dissect a tough steak. My thought behind buying a Cara Cara for a work knife was that it was affordable enough that I would not be afraid to use it, abuse it or lose it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
SpyderEdgeForever

Have you ever known or seen a Cara Cara break or is it mostly unbreakable as long as it is not pressed into too much stress and strain?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Honestly, I have not used mine much and couldn't say.
elrond18

Post by elrond18 »

and a Caracara Rescue 2
wallace47

Post by wallace47 »

I use my cara cara 2 once a week when i cook a chile,and my meadow lark 2 every day to clean and cut up potatoes.They both keep a better edge than any of my wife's regular cooking knifes.Plus they were cheaper.Great value keep it up Sal.. :) :spyder:
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

I love my Cara Caras! G10 & FRN are great, they melt right into my hand. I can't wait until the steel upgrade!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, I could be wrong, I often am, but I don't think that we will be seeing upgrades. The whole purpose of the Byrd line is so the Company can offer knives with low price points and thereby increase market share and continue to grow.

A significant segment of the market can not or will not buy expensive knives. The Byrd knives give entry to this huge market. Ultimately, some of these customers will appreciate the design, craftsmanship and quality of Byrd knives and "upgrade" themselves to Spyderco knives.

On the Comparison Thread I posted a picture comparing the Caracara to a 1990 vintage Endura and it is posted again here for Byrd enthusiasts who might have missed it.

Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

My mistake. I was mixed up about the Spyderco budget line getting the upgrade. Sandvik, I believe.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I must admit, they don't get carried very often due to the plethora of other choices.
But I do love my Cara Cara's! :D
Got myself a G10 one first and a stainless one later.
About 2 years ago I got a custom one, been carrying that one a bit more than the others.

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Not a knife story, but a Crested Caracara tale. Sunday morning, a dozen Black Vultures were lined up at the edge of the pond where I had killed a Nutria the day before. Only one was working on the dam-destroying aquatic rodent so I looked through the spotting scope I have set up and it was not a Black Vulture.

It was a Caracara also known as a Mexican eagle. One vulture stepped too close and the Caracara raised its wings and talons in full attack mode. The vulture backpedalled and the eagle resumed ripping and tearing at the carrion. Even though the Caracara was a little smaller than the vultures and was outnumber eleven to one, the vultures stood without moving a feather watching their brunch disappear.

The Caracara is a serious falcon, a raptor, a bird of prey,
but not above fighting for a ready to serve meal.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Don't want that CaraCara in the bp!! :D Thanks for sharing the story and pic!! We are real big into watching raptors!! :) NICE!!! John :cool:
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
rescue2694

Post by rescue2694 »

The FRN Cara Cara is my favorite EDC . Yep! even beating out my new Stretch (2nd favorite).

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rescue2694,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
rescue2694

Post by rescue2694 »

Thank you for the welcome.

I've been a spydy hole user since 93. I don't think their is a better way to open a knife. Thanks so much for your design innovation. :)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

It is said that the definition of confidence is the feeling one has until one finds out all the facts.

I was confident there would be no Cara Cara upgrades and pontificated as much in an earlier post. To my surprise, I have discovered variations of Cara Cara knives offered by the Company now include a choice of titanium, stainless and G-10 handles, a rescue version and a black blade with black clip. Perhaps blade steel upgrades are in the future after all.
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I'd love to have a fully serrated Cara Cara (non rescue) or an Emerson Wave Cara Cara. I think either of those would be a big hit.
CascadianAaron

Post by CascadianAaron »

I love the FRN handle for use with gloves, great in the winter and camping. The blade shape and size works great for so many uses (I've even chopped kindling with it). BUT, the blade pivot has never "broken in" for me. Even when I loosen the pivot so the blade has play except when locked open, it is still very stiff. And the lock itself is very stiff. I can open and close with one hand, but compared to my Tenacious it's night and day. The Tenacious is the smoothest opening blade I own, regardless of where it is made. Easy to open, easy to close, smooth as silk and no play. I understand I'm comparing a $20 knife to a $40 knife, but they're both made in China so I am surprised how different the pivot action is.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get a smoother opening and closing action out of the Cara Cara? Or is this just how they work...