Steel upgrades for byrds?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
sparky2016

Re: Steel upgrades for byrds?

Post by sparky2016 »

sal wrote:Hi Nick,

Timely question. Perhaps some history?
Regarding the comment about BD-1 being similar to Gingami 1 - I found this history from 2004 interesting - //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 532#p20532. From a long time ago, so partly ancient history but FYI.
sal wrote:<snip>
In terms of steel. Gingami 1 (silver paper in Japanese) was a premier steel only 10 years ago. And is still better than (in edge retention):

Surgical steel (the worst - actually a "throw-a-way" steel [304])
420J2
425 modified
AUS-6
AUS-8
440A
440B

It yields to;

ATS-34
ATS-55
154CM
AUS-10
VG-10
BG-42
CPM steels

the above is for comparisons of common stainless knife steels.

<snip>

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am very happy with my Raven 2! Actually i haven't picked up my Tenacious since i got it.
I really wish you'd upgrade the titanium handle Cara cara 2 with BD1 as well! Seems a little odd to me with the flashy Ti handle and still the same old steel. Now i am not a "steel snob" by any means, but i would buy an upgraded Ti C.C. 2 in a heartbeat instead of being on the fence as of now.
All the best and happy holidays!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

Welcome to our forum.

Glad you like the Raven 2. It's a very nice piece.

Regarding the Cara Cara, the maker of the CC and the maker of the Raven are not the same. The Cara Cara maker has not yet successfully worked with BD-1.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I see.. Can you see a steel upgrade in a foreseeable future? It's not a dealbreaker in my case, but i would rather wait for a BD1 version to be honest.
EDIT: Thanks for the welcome! Apparently forgot my manners yesterday.. :)
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Larry, why not go and get yourself at least one Byrd knife, preferably the Cara Cara? It is great. You will like it a lot. It has excellent steel, excellent FRN handles, and, is lightweight and razor-sharp. Its super :)

The steel on the Byrd Cara Cara is very great.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I do have a Byrd! :) The Raven 2, hasn't left my pocket since it arrived. Next Byrd will be the Crow or C.C. Ti
sal

Post by sal »

Larry_Mott wrote:I see.. Can you see a steel upgrade in a foreseeable future? It's not a dealbreaker in my case, but i would rather wait for a BD1 version to be honest.
It could be a while. Not all makers are good enough and of those, not all of them are interested in trying to work with new steels.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Sal, if I may ask, have you ever personally visited the Chinese factories where the Byrd knives and other value knives are made? It must be interesting to actually watch the factory equipment like in Golden manufacturing the blades and stuff, and watch the skilled people at the machines.

I would love to see a Byrd knife that had a spear-point blade.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:I see.. Can you see a steel upgrade in a foreseeable future? It's not a dealbreaker in my case, but i would rather wait for a BD1 version to be honest.
It could be a while. Not all makers are good enough and of those, not all of them are interested in trying to work with new steels.

sal
Thanks for the heads up. I have actually ordered a Ti C.C. 2 :) Still, if there's a BD1 Ti handle coming out later i will get that too.
Happy holidays to you Sal and the family and employees!
sal

Post by sal »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Sal, if I may ask, have you ever personally visited the Chinese factories where the Byrd knives and other value knives are made? It must be interesting to actually watch the factory equipment like in Golden manufacturing the blades and stuff, and watch the skilled people at the machines.

I would love to see a Byrd knife that had a spear-point blade.
Hi SEF,

Yes, Both Eric and/or I visit all of the factories in all of the countries.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Cool thank you Sal.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I realize that this is a two-year old thread but I'd love to revisit the possibility of seeing a steel upgrade in the Cara Cara 2, at least the titanium version?

I have been carrying the Cara Cara 2 nonstop since I bought it two months ago. I love the shape and feel of the Cara Cara over the Endura, with the choil and nicely pointed tip, and the stainless model's handles are so nice and thin.

The 8Cr actually has been very good to me, easy to sharpen up to a nice keen edge, but if the Cara Cara 2 Titanium saw a steel upgrade like BD1 or similar I would buy it in a heartbeat!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carrot,

We're always trying to upgrade in all areas. The Chinese makers are only now beginning to think about using other steels. New steel + new heat treat + new grinding and sharpening requirements is not as easy to do as you might think. Lotsa new variables to deal with. "Easier to do it the old way and besides, most customers don't know the difference" We work on it.

sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

sal wrote:Hi Carrot,

We're always trying to upgrade in all areas. The Chinese makers are only now beginning to think about using other steels. New steel + new heat treat + new grinding and sharpening requirements is not as easy to do as you might think. Lotsa new variables to deal with. "Easier to do it the old way and besides, most customers don't know the difference" We work on it.

sal
Thanks Sal. It's always interesting to see the manufacturing perspective. I really enjoy the Cara Cara 2 design. The cutting and slicing performance for its price is just awesome and I really appreciate the value side of things that Spyderco brings to the market. Please keep making incredible budget knives; they are so much easier to recommend to friends who are just starting to show an interest.

The fact that I can have an Introvert and a PITS on my desk at home and carry a Domino and Cara Cara beater in my pocket really shows that Spyderco knives are for AFIs of all kinds.