The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sparky2016

Re: Crow & Raven 2 Full Review

Post by sparky2016 »

Thanks for the pix, araneae
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Ben336 wrote:I didn't see where it was said that there was going to be a titanium version.

The titanium Cara Cara 2 is already available for sale at many retailers.

I don't believe there will be a Ti Crow nor Raven, etc... if that is what you're asking.
...not too sure how or why the Cara Cara got brought up in this thread though. :confused:
Going back to Caly.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I finally got my Crow 2 that was stuck in limbo for a few months with another preordered knife...

So far I am thoroughly impressed with this value line knife. Size is great for me.

Going back to Caly.
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

How is the BD1 holding up?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I was lucky to be at the Amsterdam Spydiemeet and receive a Byrd Crow 2 there which has been my EDC since.
(so that's a bit over 2 weeks)
I have used it at quite a bit of cutting, it's cut a bunch of cardboard, some wood, rope, plastics and whatnot and has been properly tested in the kitchen.
Food prep is always one my favorite ways to see how a new knife cuts, wether it's a slicer, how the handle works and how it lets you control the blade. Eating a lot of ginger I like to cut loads of it to see how a knife works, it has a very fine peel to peel off and it is a very fibrous material so thin slicing 'against the grain' takes a good slicer.
Ginger was one of many tasks that this little big knife excelled at, especially considering the blade stock being pretty beefy. The other materials previously mentioned also were taken care of easily.
I actually had never considered this blade before but had been looking at the Raven 2 and actually believe now that this one would come out as a favorite.
Although it has a rather small cutting edge the fact that it has a great handle and very useful fingerchoil the control you have over the edge and tip make it a great work knife.
(I personally like an EDC worker to not be too big and often carry a bigger SE blade, like a Pacific Salt, as well when I might need something bigger)
The steel will have to be sharpened more often than S30V but it won't take much effort, I touched it up about once a week and never took more than about 2-3 minutes.

Thanks to Spyderco for giving me the chance to become fan of this little big real use knife! :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Good to hear more positive first hand feedback.

This is truly an amazing value. I am surprised it has not garnered much more attention by now.
It's a stout thick little guy, but ergos are awesome.
Going back to Caly.
EvanB.

Post by EvanB. »

I got one a couple of days ago. Color me impressed. Ergos and size are great. Honestly, it's what I hoped the Stretch would be. The only thing I can find fault with is that the jumping, especially on the thumb side, is not sticky at all. I think a Spydie version with nested liners would be a hit.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

EvanB. wrote:I got one a couple of days ago. Color me impressed. Ergos and size are great. Honestly, it's what I hoped the Stretch would be. The only thing I can find fault with is that the jumping, especially on the thumb side, is not sticky at all. I think a Spydie version with nested liners would be a hit.
I presume you're talking about the Raven which I haven't tried yet but I thought the same about the Crow the first week I had it
"wow this would really do well as a regular Spydie with nested liners"
These are also some blades designed by one of my all time favorite knife makers: Sal. I would recommend these to all Spyderco fans, otherwise you might just miss out on some great Spyderco design. ;)
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I have the Raven 2 on the way based on the review which pushed me off the teetering edge.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

What's going on here ? :confused: I purchased a Crow and it displaced all my 100+$ spydies from my edc rotation :eek: . It's such a stout and capable little blade and the design has the distinctive signature of a true genius: Sal Glesser. It's a huge but pleasant surprize for me :rolleyes: I am curious if Sal ever took the Crow for a spin and what are his impressions
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Elena,

Of course I did. So did Eric. We are 100% hands on when it comes to ALL models, from the beginning with the design to testing production pieces.

Thanx for the kind words. The Raven and Crow were my designs and I spent a great deal of time refining the design and working with the maker. Getting BD1 made in the US (with Carpenter) and into China was also something with which I spent a great deal of time. He was the first in China to heat treat BD1 properly. We will be making more designs with this maker. ( 2 in-the-works )

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:Hi Elena,

Of course I did. So did Eric. We are 100% hands on when it comes to ALL models, from the beginning with the design to testing production pieces.

Thanx for the kind words. The Raven and Crow were my designs and I spent a great deal of time refining the design and working with the maker. Getting BD1 made in the US (with Carpenter) and into China was also something with which I spent a great deal of time. He was the first in China to heat treat BD1 properly. We will be making more designs with this maker. ( 2 in-the-works )

sal
Thank you Sal for taking the time to write back.I am a mechanical engineer trained in designing and I meant every word.I can recognize a good design when I see one and Crow is indeed a refined design.I really like all your in house designs and for as long as you will continue designing Spydercos I will continue buying them :) I only hope you will be able to implement the Sandwik steel in the Byrd line and not only.

P.S My dream is to own a Spydie designed by you with your signature on the blade.I would treasure it for the rest of my life.
sal

Post by sal »

email me.

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Gotta love this company. :)
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

EDC Defined !
Deep carry clip ordered for Raven 2. Now I need an all black PM2.
Mr. Glesser, any future plans for different color combinations for the Raven 2?
sal

Post by sal »

Not at this time.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I look forward to more Byrd BD-1 models and from this maker. My two are really nice.

Even though the detent stops one of them from landing on the stop pin.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Raven 2 with deep carry clip originally designed for the Tenacious.

ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

After a whole whopping 5 days with my first knife, a Tenacious, I hummed and hawed over what to get now that the knife collecting bug bit me, and I ordered a Byrd Crow 2. Loving it so far! It arrived super sharp, and while I didn't do a sharpness test with the Tenacious straight out of the box and used it for slicing cardboard, whittling while camping last weekend, and random slicing here and there, there was no comparison as to which was sharper when I unboxed the Crow 2. The Crow was the hands down winner.

Loving the size, and blade thickness. The overall F&F is at least on par with the Tenacious, and I'd say slightly better. The blade centers perfectly, and not quite centered on the Tenacious. The pivot mechanism is a bit stiffer on the Crow2, and not sure if it'll loosen up with time either. Not as satisfying to flip open as the Tenacious, but not bad.

Definitely pretty happy all in all with it.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2