Finch 2 On the Way

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SG89

Finch 2 On the Way

Post by SG89 »

This will be my first Byrd and I am pretty excited about it. A G10 ladybug-esque FFG with a 50/50 choil and screw together construction... Yes please. If I like this one I plan on getting a Crow 2 and Robin TI. Will post pics when I receive it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Re: Finch 2 On the Way

Post by sal »

Hi Spydergirl,

Le me know how you like it?

sal
SG89

The Finch 2 Has Landed

Post by SG89 »

First impression: Impressive. Lock back is rock solid. Nice lines. Fit and Finish is flawless. Love all the jimping. Love the cutouts below the lock and the skeletonized liners. A beautiful little folder with great features and nice touches for a value line product. Will definitely buy more Byrd products if they maintain this amount of quality.
Spydergirl88
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Thanks for the review Spydergirl !!!!
Glad you made me discover it !!!
Look like a really nice little knife ! As Ladybug/Manbug are... !!!!

I'm surprised of such less answer about it. Is it new, recently produced ? (not available for me here)

Edit : I already knew, but those pics make me write it.
Knives used to have such a better look closed with a choil than without !!! :cool: :p
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Thanks for the review. This shows what I wanted. Hoping to buy one of these for my girlfriend and make her some custom scales. Really like how it has the 50/50 choil.

I know it isnt apples:apples, but how would you compare the finch to the roadie? I have only ever heard rave reviews about the roadie, but am hesitant to go this direction for her since it costs about 3x as much.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Looks good, this size with 50/50 choil should be quite useful. Will put it on my wishlist for when I'll be able to order some stuff Stateside again.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

EDC Honeybee wrote:Thanks for the review. This shows what I wanted. Hoping to buy one of these for my girlfriend and make her some custom scales. Really like how it has the 50/50 choil.

I know it isnt apples:apples, but how would you compare the finch to the roadie? I have only ever heard rave reviews about the roadie, but am hesitant to go this direction for her since it costs about 3x as much.
Get her the Finch 2. It appeals to knife people and non knife people. It's a great starter knife. If she shows interest in getting more knives then maybe suggest the Roadie. The Roadie is a great knife and also the Tern is the closest thing to it in the Byrd line.
Spydergirl88
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
EDC Honeybee wrote:Thanks for the review. This shows what I wanted. Hoping to buy one of these for my girlfriend and make her some custom scales. Really like how it has the 50/50 choil.

Get her the Finch 2. It appeals to knife people and non knife people. It's a great starter knife. If she shows interest in getting more knives then maybe suggest the Roadie. The Roadie is a great knife and also the Tern is the closest thing to it in the Byrd line.
Thank you! She doesn't get into blades like I do. So far I got her a small multi-tool for purse carry, but the blade is inconvenient and small. Going to make her some custom purple scales for the finch also from some great resin stock I just bought. I will be sure to post it to the spyderco mods picture thread when I buy it and make her some scales. Should look pretty nice.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Nice. Thanks very much for the photos, Spydergirl88.

Very interesting design and specs. Appears narrower than the Robin 2, it would be interesting to see them side by side. Note, no clip on the Finch 2.

Finch 2 - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=848

Overall Length 4.37" (111 mm) Blade Length 1.91" (49 mm) Steel 8Cr13MoV
Closed Length 2.46" (62 mm) Edge Length 1.57" (40 mm) Weight 1.1 oz (31 g)
Blade Thickness 0.102" (2.6 mm) Handle G-10

Robin 2 - http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=613

Overall Length 5.687 " (144 mm) Blade Length 2.438 " (62 mm) Steel 8Cr13Mov
Closed Length 3.313 " (84 mm) Edge Length 1.875 " (48 mm) Weight 2.4 " (69 g)
Blade Thickness .093 " (2.5 mm) Handle G-10

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Love my Finch-2, although I've only had it for a few weeks.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

@sparky2016, Finch 2 is a "Ladybug" size/style/shape
Robin 2 is a "Dragonfly" size/style/shape

;)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Nasgul wrote:@sparky2016, Finch 2 is a "Ladybug" size/style/shape
Robin 2 is a "Dragonfly" size/style/shape

;)
In a very general way. But the Robin 2 is notably wider and bigger than the Dragonfly, and the Finch 2 is a bit narrower than the Ladybug. So I was surprised at how small the Finch 2 is compared to the Robin 2.

The Finch 2 seems to be better described as the smallest of the Meadowlark / Cara Cara line - the knives with narrow handles, and a choil. (Which raises the question of where the sub 2.5" member of that family is.)

Robin, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly - from another thread here:

From //forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=46685

ManekUEMF

Post by ManekUEMF »

Disregard
Last edited by ManekUEMF on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

ManekUEMF wrote:Is the Finch 2 Spyderco analog the Manbug?
Read the two posts above yours.