Sonic Cleaners?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Sonic Cleaners?

Post by TomAiello »

Has anyone put a Manix 2 through a sonic cleaner?

How did it work out?

Thinking about running one of mine through, because I want to clean out some internal gunk without voiding the warranty.

Any experiences or suggestions?
JNewell

Re: Sonic Cleaners?

Post by JNewell »

I've never tossed a knife in an ultrasonic cleaner, but I've used them on a lot of other things with great results - sounds like a reasonable plan. You probably already know the cautions, such as using either a cleaner sold for the purpose or something that can't harm anything that's going in. (For example, some Simple Green formulations will strip anodizing.) I think I'd avoid letting the temperature get above what you'd be comfortable putting your hand into. When things come out of an ultrasonic cleaner they tend to be VERY clean, so relubrication (or using one of the lubricating solutions as a final step with the ultrasonic cleaner) is a good idea.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'd be curious to hear some experiences as well.

A good friend just used one when he rebuilt some carburetors and the parts looked amazingly clean afterward.
Going back to Caly.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Ensure the object being cleaned is suspended in solution. Hooks or basket.

If object sits on bottom of tank, cavitation will eat through tank.

DON'T put your hands in while it is running.

Ultrasonic cleaners work by creating micro bubbles to explode on surface creating a scrubbing action.

They should always be used in a sound proof area /cupboard, long -term for ear safety.

Suggest you test the cleaning solution on product BEFORE you put it in tank to see if any damage to plastic.
Lots of solutions are ammonia based.
K