Mantra or Mantra 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Mantra
56%
Mantra 2
44%

Total votes: 163

RamZar

Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by RamZar »

One or the other but not both and no third (neither) option.

You can change your vote at any time later.

Last edited by RamZar on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Liquid Cobra

Re: Mantra or Mantra 2?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'll certainly be getting both but I can only select one in the poll. So if I had to chose I would go with the Mantra 1. It reminds me of a Caly flipper which is pretty interesting.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Yes. One or the other but not both and no third (neither) option.

You can change your vote at any time.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Mantra.
ktsthiep

Post by ktsthiep »

Mantra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Very tough call and one I actually to make. I can't afford (nor can I justify) both but I'm still not sure which it will be. I am leaning towards the Mantra 2 so that's how I voted. It bothers me a bit that it has no functional opening hole but I think I can live with that. I also don't like the tip but that is easily fixed. What I do like about the 2 is the sleeker blade profile and the thinner profile when closed. I think it will make for a useful blade and a very comfortable edc.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I chose the mantra because I think I'll like that one just a little better, but honestly I plan to try out both and gifting the other to my dad.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sabb8pro2 wrote:I chose the mantra because I think I'll like that one just a little better, but honestly I plan to try out both and gifting the other to my dad.
Now this is a good idea. Get both and give away one or the other. I might just steal this plan. :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Probably going to be both for me.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'll get the Mantra I. It's like a Delica/Caly ti flipper. Taichung quality. Got to check it out.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Like the look of the Mantra better, but will pass on both, I don't do wire clips, especially on something as heavy as titanium, which is my favorite scale material.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Both, of course
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Mantra.I love almost everything on this knife.I dont care for flipers,but since it has a fuctional spydie hole,i dont care.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Are these gonna have an internal stop pin? If so will it be like the Southard or like the a Nilakka? I will need to know before I buy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm personally thinking both, but I think i like the newer style blade shape of the Mantra 2 over the Mantra. So i think I'm going with Mantra 2 in the poll.
-Nick :bug-red
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm going to need both but voted for the 2
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Loving both... Mantra is a Delica/Caly and the Mantra 2 is a Southard/Nilakka... Love them all :p But I have to go with the Mantra for now.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Definitely the Mantra2, great bladeshape and unlike many others I specifically love that tip. :)
(will definitely miss an opening hole, not a great fan of flippers but I'll get one for the bladeshape)
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I voted Mantra 2, but agree with others about the lack of functional Spydie hole. Going by the photo, a functional hole could have easily been incorporated without significantly altering the slender blade shape. Regarding the Mantra, I already have a drawer full of Spydercos' with a similar blade shape.

Very grateful for the low riding wire clip on both models.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mantra 2 seems to have a similar decorative Spydie hole and low profile as Positron and I can open the Positron one-handed using the thumb and middle finger pinch method. It's a little awkward and slow but works.