Spyderco Puukko

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nathanours

Spyderco Puukko

Post by nathanours »

Do any of you have and use a Puukko? I picked one up at the seconds sale on Saturday for $50 and am really impressed, but never see any discussion about these. The fit and finish on it are fantastic, and it's one of the prettiest knives I've ever seen. I cannot find any flaw on mine, other than not coming with a sheath. This leads me to my next question. Does anyone know where I could get a decent sheath that would fit? This seems like it would be an excellent hunting and fishing knife. Here are a few quick cell phone pics:

yablanowitz

Re: Spyderco Puukko

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a couple of them, one a first with a sheath and the other a factory second without a sheath. Since I have one sheath, I haven't even looked for one for the other knife, though I do know of several craftsmen that could make one. Of course, it might cost more to have one made than the knife itself cost as a second.

As far as the knife itself goes, it is an excellent woodworking tool. I have recently been whittling on an old walking stick that I started on many years ago. I had given up on it because the white oak was just too hard to carve with the tools I had back then. After using a BushcraftUK and the Puukko to work another staff from local ash wood, I went back to the oak and found it relatively easy to work. I should be ready to take some pictures of the projects pretty soon.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I saw that score and was quite jealous. You might ask around about sheath makers. That deserves a nice leather sheath.

Gordon
palonej

Post by palonej »

Real nice chunk a lumber on that blade Nathan!
Great score!
Joe
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I love my Puukko, it is a great skinner knife in my experience (which is totally limited). I have to somewhat frequently clean up the brass bit on the handle as it gets tarnished and does not maintain the gorgeous shine I want on it.
LC Kid

Puukko Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi nathanours!

The Puukko is a fantastic field knife, you certainly made a wonderful catch getting yours at $50.

I have two Puukkos, the R100 Hunting and the R110 Carpenter, both are H. Roselli made in Finland, and both are my Go-To knives when hunting/fishing/trekking in BC. Both came with their sheaths, but I made another one for the smaller, the Carpenter, in a very nice piece of Cordovan leather, and I'm very happy with it. :cool:

Actually the sheath for a Puukko is a very important and essential part of the knife, according to the nordic cutlery tradition. :)

And I agree with yablanowitz, to have a properly made leather sheath for your Puukko is gonna cost you waaaaay over $50. :rolleyes:
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a couple of Puukkos, one with the desert ironwood scales, and one with G10. They are fantastic for whittling. I did find that one of them got a pretty significant chip in the cutting edge while I was whittling the bark from some dried pecan branches, I don't know if that was just a weakness in the factory edge, or if some twisting forces happened while I was cutting the bark off.

I haven't measured the angle of the grind on mine, but my impression is that they are a narrower angle than say, my Bushcraft UK or other Scandi grinds I have -- they really cut well!

You might contact Christina Gere at SheathPro (http://knifesheathspro.com/contact/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) about a sheath, they make the sheaths for Spyderco.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

Great score
nathanours

Post by nathanours »

Well, I ended up buying some leather, and am going to attempt to make the sheath myself. We'll see how it goes.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

nathanours wrote:Well, I ended up buying some leather, and am going to attempt to make the sheath myself. We'll see how it goes.
Post pics when you are done!
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

nathanours wrote:Well, I ended up buying some leather, and am going to attempt to make the sheath myself. We'll see how it goes.
Nice. I've made a few, both leather and kydex. For leather, I'd recommend getting a groover and a spacing marker. Without those, it's tough to get a professional look. Mine are a little rough looking, but fully functional, and I only wear ever them in the woods, so I'm good with that. YMMV

Gordon
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Hi

If You are in Facebook, you can see here one way how to make traditional 'back sew' puukko-knife sheath.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 873&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take care

Pekka