Manix 2 Handle Jimping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yidmbxks

Manix 2 Handle Jimping

Post by yidmbxks »

I recently got a Manix 2 and noticed that on the bottom of the handle the forwardmost jimping notches on each side of the liner seem to have a manufacturing defect. The "cove" of the jimping is not smooth like the others. This is such a small defect that I hesitate to mention it but I was wondering if this is possibly an indication of counterfeiting or if it is normal.
IMG_1176.JPG
Evil D

Re: Manix 2 Handle Jimping

Post by Evil D »

Fairly common. The M2 I just bought recently had it in the same spot.
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

OK, thanks for the feedback. This is my first Spyderco and just wanted to make sure it was legit since there is so much out there about fakes. I'm pretty happy with it and everything else about it seems to be top quality so this stood out as different.
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

Since you said your flaws were in the same spot, I wonder if the stamping die is broken or had some debris in it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Here's mine Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

Spydergirl, your picture is better than mine, but when I compare my knife to your picture the tooling marks are identical. I think they must have a damaged stamping die for the liners. They better get that fixed!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure if these liners are stamped or laser cut, that could be the start/stop spot. It's a bummer that it's there at all but it's also pretty easy to remove if you have a Dremel or even some small files.
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

Good point, Evil D. You might be right about a laser start/stop mark. I thought about cleaning it up with a file, but I was a bit unsure about taking the knife apart. Is there anything tricky about how that ball bearing lock is in there that would make it hard to put back together?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yidmbxks wrote:Good point, Evil D. You might be right about a laser start/stop mark. I thought about cleaning it up with a file, but I was a bit unsure about taking the knife apart. Is there anything tricky about how that ball bearing lock is in there that would make it hard to put back together?
It is a bit tricky with this model, also keep in mind it voids your warranty. There's a video on You Tube that details how to get it back together, it's not horribly complicated but there's definitely a step by step way to do it and it's a bit more involved than most folders.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Same on mine, which is a pre-FFG knife in S30V, so this little blip goes back a few years for sure.

I had never noticed it before...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

After having taken apart and successfully put back together many Manii, I would strongly suggest NOT taking apart your Manix.

It's doable, but you'll need four hands and a lot of patience. Luckily, I am retired and do have opposable thumbs on four limbs.

I can now strip down, clean and rebuild a Manix in three days, flat.
Matt
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

All I know is that the Manix 2 comes apart a lot quicker than it goes back together :D reassembly can be frustrating.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

On a point of related curiosity... Does Spyderco have a different term for raised notches on the handles of a Manix or does it fully fall into the definition of jimping?
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

Sorry for pointing it out to you awa54... I only noticed because I was closely inspecting the knife as it is my first Spyderco...stupid OCD tendancies! Thanks for the advice Razzle, I'll probably leave it in one piece since I don't have 3 days to mess with it and I'm not very good with my toes anyway. I don't think jimping is the correct term either, Willamette, but it's all I could come up with to describe it. I'd be interested to know if there is an actual term for it too.
adam569

Post by adam569 »

I've got a fairly new one that has that same issue.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it is the start/stop point for the laser as well. You can find it on the liners of other knives as well. People get on here and mention the ones on the Para2 pretty often. They are easier to spot. It is not a sign of a fake and in my opinion may even be a good sign that it is not. I have always called it jimping myself. Enjoy your Manix. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
yidmbxks

Post by yidmbxks »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback...it helped put my mind at ease. This forum is a pretty powerful tool and encapsulates a ton of experience. The Manix has definitely made me a Spyderco believer...now I just need to figure out what my next one will be.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

yidmbxks wrote:Sorry for pointing it out to you awa54... I only noticed because I was closely inspecting the knife as it is my first Spyderco...stupid OCD tendancies! Thanks for the advice Razzle, I'll probably leave it in one piece since I don't have 3 days to mess with it and I'm not very good with my toes anyway. I don't think jimping is the correct term either, Willamette, but it's all I could come up with to describe it. I'd be interested to know if there is an actual term for it too.
No worries, I bought the Manix 2 as a user, a tiny cosmetic thing like that has no bearing whatsoever on my enjoyment of it!

I *do* need to get an FFG version some day though, using it as a pocket-able machete substitute pointed up the fact that the hollow ground blade wedges when cutting hardwood limbs and saplings.

By the way, that "jimping" is fantastic for grip, but only if you have tough hands or have gloves on, bare handed use for tougher tasks (that the Manix 2 is *totally* up for), can result in blisters where the steel bumps peek up past the scale.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

yidmbxks wrote:Sorry for pointing it out to you awa54... I only noticed because I was closely inspecting the knife as it is my first Spyderco...stupid OCD tendancies! Thanks for the advice Razzle, I'll probably leave it in one piece since I don't have 3 days to mess with it and I'm not very good with my toes anyway. I don't think jimping is the correct term either, Willamette, but it's all I could come up with to describe it. I'd be interested to know if there is an actual term for it too.
I shall ask and see if we learn something new?

Sorry for the cosmetic issues you have with your knife. My guess was a machine signature; deliberate for unique identifier or accidental with a machine needing maintenance. It's in a tough spot to remedy with a file to dress it without moving the scales away. I have only taken apart one Manix and the flared lanyard tube was the biggest obstacle to separating a scale from the liner. In your case, it may be easiest to remove the scale screws and simply rotate the scale a few degrees with lanyard tube in place, dress the anomoly, then rotate the scale back, and resecure. It does void warranty though so weigh that out before making changes unless you can warranty it through Spyderco and have them address the issue.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Razzle wrote:After having taken apart and successfully put back together many Manii, I would strongly suggest NOT taking apart your Manix.

It's doable, but you'll need four hands and a lot of patience. Luckily, I am retired and do have opposable thumbs on four limbs.

I can now strip down, clean and rebuild a Manix in three days, flat.

Haha, had me laughing at the end. :D

I just scoped out my Manix's for this (beauty of this forum and its users - has you take closer looks at your knives!).
But, the jimping is consistent and clean on both my older hollow ground PE and SE 154CM Manix 2's, as well as my Cruwear M2.
This must be a much more recent characteristic and on non-skeletonized liners.
Going back to Caly.