Please more s90v so little options

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Please more s90v so little options

Post by Donut »

What's wrong with the standard production S110V?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

AFAIK in Slysz Bowie the lock face is treated.I once asked that and they confirmed .It also shows on the blade tang .Maybe Kristi 's post was an older one.
paladin

Post by paladin »

It would seem to be logical to make a lockbar itself or the bar/blade interface of the same steel as the blade to make wear to both parts uniform.

However, I think Sal & Co. have done their homework on this issue since I have never personally "worn out" any Spyderco locks...

and I SpyderBate-- A LOT!!! :eek: ;) :p :spyder:

As for the s90v...do yourself a favor (as DougC-3 suggested early on) and grab yourself a 2015 Forum Native or two!

It's a MUST HAVE at the discounted price :D
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Donut wrote:What's wrong with the standard production S110V?
Good question.

I may be incorrect in my assumption. Based on my reading, there seems to be a feeling S110v might chip easier and be harder to sharpen, than S90V.

Don't shoot me on that. It's just my take on posts I have read. Doesn't mean I subscribe to it. I don't have enough time on either steel to say one way or another.

All I can say for sure is, we use the S90V south fork in my house a good amount, and it seems to keep its edge very well for my standards.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

elena86 wrote:AFAIK in Slysz Bowie the lock face is treated.I once asked that and they confirmed .It also shows on the blade tang .Maybe Kristi 's post was an older one.
Her quote is from October 14, 2015.

Who did you ask?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
I think S90V helps sell a knife significantly. I wonder how many of the 2015 forum knives would have sold if it was S30V. The S90V blade pushed many to buy it and overlook the color, a color that wasn't very popular.
I can't fault people for their preferences, but it's a shame to see Spyderco put out a forum knife and have it sit on the shelf. Mine has been carried nearly every day since I got it. The color is great, imo. I think a fair number of people may have been turned off by the non-flattering promo pic they put up. It looks way better in person.
:spyder:
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
elena86 wrote:AFAIK in Slysz Bowie the lock face is treated.I once asked that and they confirmed .It also shows on the blade tang .Maybe Kristi 's post was an older one.
Her quote is from October 14, 2015.

Who did you ask?
elena86 started a thread asking about the Southard: viewtopic.php?t=64691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It referred to a response from 2012 from Brad Southard in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57713&p=818068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad S. wrote:It is not carbidized, it is however heat hardened at the lockface, Just like the Chris Reeves Sebenza, or the Spyderco Techno. An excellent way to prevent wear.
I can only confirm that there is a different coloration on the lockbar interface surface of the Techno.

I'm no metallurgist, but I don't think this contradicts what Kristi said, as heat hardening is not exactly the same as carburization (heat treat with a carbon source to infuse the metal) or carbidization (layering of tungsten/titanium carbide).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I confused things a little.It was about Southard indeed but since Techno was also mentioned in that post.....well , I blame my pills :)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

elena86 wrote:I confused things a little.It was about Southard indeed but since Techno was also mentioned in that post.....well , I blame my pills :)
I would imagine the Slysz Bowie is treated much the same as the Techno, so it's not a stretch to blend the two.

A lot of the conversation in those days treated heat treating titanium and carburization as synonymous (that might still be the case).

https://instagram.com/p/klbITWB6o_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I vaguely remembered a photo from Brad explaining how he prepares his lockbars and finally found it.

To bring this back to the topic on hand, I don't remember seeing anything from any Spyderco forum indicating that their titanium framelock suffered any sticking, so whatever Spyderco has been doing with their framelocks, it's clearly effective.
endgame

Post by endgame »

The only special treatment you can do to a lockface is carbadize or put a insert.they make the locks like any company.the only lickfaces I had problems with are knives like the nirvana.all one piece.it cannot be adjusted .lionsteel had a huge problem with theres.I wore out 2 before I got a refund .
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote: I think S90V helps sell a knife significantly.
I do not agree. Spyderco produce several S90V and S110V blades and I doubt that any of them, even very affordable models became best sellers. They still more expensive than S30V/S35VN plus sharpening can be a challenge, if you do not equipped. IMHO currently S90V and S110V are for for some knifenuts mostly with steel junkie flavor. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:
I do not agree. Spyderco produce several S90V and S110V blades and I doubt that any of them, even very affordable models became best sellers. They still more expensive than S30V/S35VN plus sharpening can be a challenge, if you do not equipped. IMHO currently S90V and S110V are for for some knifenuts mostly with steel junkie flavor. :)
Actually, I think the fact that the S90V Forum knife is still available shows that S90V by itself doesn't sell a knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm a firm believer that they would have sold fewer if it wasn't for the S90V.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
paladin

Post by paladin »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm a firm believer that they would have sold fewer if it wasn't for the S90V.
Exactly.... knife model + blade steel + out of the ordinary handle options + blade stamp = Forum Knife

It sometimes seems the more rare or exotic any of those factors are, the more hotly the knife is collected & coveted.

And I'd day the "steel" part of that equation is the most important factor for most forumites (read, steel junkies) on the boards here. :cool:
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I'm a firm believer that they would have sold fewer if it wasn't for the S90V.
Assuming the same price...

S90V adds collector appeal, some appeal to certain users, but to average joe, price may be more of a factor.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Actually, I think the fact that the S90V Forum knife is still available shows that S90V by itself doesn't sell a knife.
May be I wasn't clear, but this is exactly what I am talking about.
It would be interesting to know how many production models with S35VN were sold during the same period of time. Of cause production has an advantage. It sold everywhere.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cujobob wrote: Assuming the same price...
S90V adds collector appeal, some appeal to certain users, but to average joe, price may be more of a factor.
It cannot be the same price. S90V is more expensive as a material, also processing is more expensive.
In addition I do not think that S90V has much of collector appeal. In 2013 S110V had huge collector appeal, when Forum Native was the first Spyderco made with this steel. Now, when we have production knives with this steel and more coming, I do not feel any collector appeal of S110V or S90V. A knife with this steel is not unique anymore. Certainly it has appeal to some users.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bh49 wrote:
Cujobob wrote: Assuming the same price...
It cannot be the same price. S90V is more expensive as a material, also processing is more expensive.
In addition I do not think that S90V has much of collector appeal. In 2013 S110V had huge collector appeal, when Forum Native was the first Spyderco made with this steel. Now, when we have production knives with this steel and more coming, I do not feel any collector appeal of S110V or S90V. A knife with this steel is not unique anymore. Certainly it has appeal to some users.
It did, but it also probably helped that it was checkered (never done before) green G10 instead of FRN.

I bet the 2015 forum knife would have outsold the 2013 Knife if it kept the S90V and replaced the FRN with G10 (any color). I guess we will never know. Interesting discussion.

@liquid_cobra
average-Joe

Post by average-Joe »

How does one get the forum native?
Newbie here....
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

average-Joe wrote:How does one get the forum native?
Newbie here....
Joe, click this link and follow the directions:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;