Help me choose a spydie-gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Help me choose a spydie-gift

Post by araneae »

Sage 1 is a great choice and a bit smaller than a PM2 which coming from a SAK may feel huge. Also, hard to go wrong with a Delica.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

If i were getting a Sage it would be the Sage 2. My buddy has one and every time I handle it I love the sense of quality I get from it.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Fluted Titanium Native...

Stunningly handsome, excellent secure refined mid lock on this version of Native with NO BLADEPLAY, silky smooth deployment, quality materials, iconic Spyderco model with minimalist "hump"

Yup that's what I'd go with...let us know your decision!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Native 5 G10...because it has:

A lock type that is familiar to many people
A "just right" blade size
Great ergos and classic blade shape

The PM2 would be the definite choice if he would like something that size. When he has seen your Spydies, what size did he gravitate towards?
endgame

Post by endgame »

If you want him hooked and the perfect knife pm2 hands down.he will take it from there.the delica and others are great but boring especially the lock .the pm2 he will love it
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I decided for the good old PM2.I will customize one with some Cuscadi glow in the dark scales and a Casey Lynch deep carry pocket clip and than engrave something nice on the blade.Thanx everyone for the great suggestions.

P.S. I have the feeling that he would like a PM3 even more, due to the size, but AFAIK there are zero chances to see this one released before Christmass this year.Hopefully before next Christmass.
It's interesting that no one recommended a Worker :)
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I'd vote for a completely different knife.
The Hungarian Folder is pretty enough for carrying it in the city, the linerlock is strong enough for outdoor use and it is one of the very rare opportunities to buy a higher-end Spydie for a reasonable price in Europe:
http://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com/ ... 14533.html

Some pics:

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marcus, it's a gorgeous folder but doesn't seem to be a working knife IMO.I would say is more of a collectors knife.Your pics are great as allways.I might get one for myself, just to show off in front of my friends.How is the grip, by the way ?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

elena86 wrote:How is the grip, by the way ?
The grip is comparable to the Vallotton, the G-10 is polished.
So, I would say that the handle material's grip is almost non existent.

Another proposal, but only to find on the secondary market would be the original Starmate.
Sorry, but none of mine is for sale. ;)

Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

BTG wrote:middle to high end....maybe a little large, fine for me, and I'm like 5'10" 180....but I can't think of anything better than a Ti Millie.
+1 on this. Imo any millie model would be great, but the Ti is classy and a hard worker at the same time.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Knivesinedc wrote:
BTG wrote:middle to high end....maybe a little large, fine for me, and I'm like 5'10" 180....but I can't think of anything better than a Ti Millie.
+1 on this. Imo any millie model would be great, but the Ti is classy and a hard worker at the same time.
+2 the Ti millies are works of art, my first was the fluted, liked it so much I bought the standard. :D

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Original Starmate ? Now we're talking !
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm going through the same thing for my Dad's 70th Bday. He's a classic SAK guy, so I want to get him a larger working blade, but something he will actually carry because weight/size is a factor. At this point, I'm leaning toward a Sage1 or Sage2. I find them to be right in the middle size and weight wise, and I know the deep carry clip will please him. My only reservation is that he is an old guy that would be proud of a USA knife, and the Taiwan etching right on the blade might turn him off. The leaves me thinking about the Native (I love the Manix and but its just not him). If the Native LW had a deep carry clip I think it would be the perfect knife for him (actually, the CF Native Sprint Run if I could). The PM2 might be a little large in the pocket for him.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

abbazaba wrote:I'm going through the same thing for my Dad's 70th Bday. He's a classic SAK guy, so I want to get him a larger working blade, but something he will actually carry because weight/size is a factor. At this point, I'm leaning toward a Sage1 or Sage2. I find them to be right in the middle size and weight wise, and I know the deep carry clip will please him. My only reservation is that he is an old guy that would be proud of a USA knife, and the Taiwan etching right on the blade might turn him off. The leaves me thinking about the Native (I love the Manix and but its just not him). If the Native LW had a deep carry clip I think it would be the perfect knife for him (actually, the CF Native Sprint Run if I could). The PM2 might be a little large in the pocket for him.
Try a Chaparral.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

elena86 wrote:
abbazaba wrote:I'm going through the same thing for my Dad's 70th Bday. He's a classic SAK guy, so I want to get him a larger working blade, but something he will actually carry because weight/size is a factor. At this point, I'm leaning toward a Sage1 or Sage2. I find them to be right in the middle size and weight wise, and I know the deep carry clip will please him. My only reservation is that he is an old guy that would be proud of a USA knife, and the Taiwan etching right on the blade might turn him off. The leaves me thinking about the Native (I love the Manix and but its just not him). If the Native LW had a deep carry clip I think it would be the perfect knife for him (actually, the CF Native Sprint Run if I could). The PM2 might be a little large in the pocket for him.
Try a Chaparral.
I agree on the Chaparral. For a couple of reasons. For one, I am your Dad's age and I had the "Made In Taiwan" stigma as so many of us older folks do......until I got my first Sage 2. I hated that Taiwan marking, but I could not deny the high quality, the fit and finish, the S30V blade steel and the feel of it in my hand. It totally changed my mind. I now own 3 of the Sage series, edc one of them, and have a CF Sage 1 on the way.

But I think an excellent choice for your Dad would be the little Chaparral. The little brother to the Sage, it disappears in the pocket yet is big enough to do real work. It is closer to the size of the SAK that your Dad is used to, and if anything it is of even higher quality fit and finish than the Sage. If he will take the time to appreciate the quality of the Chap, then Taichung, Taiwan will prove itself in close examination, and you might point that out to him. The Chaparral in either the CF or Titanium, (I have both), I think would be an excellent choice, and the mid-lock is a bit easier to manipulate with aging fingers and hands.

Either the Sage or the Chap would make a very nice gift for your Dad. But I do think that the little Chaparral would be the best choice of the two.
Just an old guy's opinion. ;)
A happy birthday to your Dad. :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

El Gato wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Try a Chaparral.
I agree on the Chaparral. For a couple of reasons. For one, I am your Dad's age and I had the "Made In Taiwan" stigma as so many of us older folks do......until I got my first Sage 2. I hated that Taiwan marking, but I could not deny the high quality, the fit and finish, the S30V blade steel and the feel of it in my hand. It totally changed my mind. I now own 3 of the Sage series, edc one of them, and have a CF Sage 1 on the way.

But I think an excellent choice for your Dad would be the little Chaparral. The little brother to the Sage, it disappears in the pocket yet is big enough to do real work. It is closer to the size of the SAK that your Dad is used to, and if anything it is of even higher quality fit and finish than the Sage. If he will take the time to appreciate the quality of the Chap, then Taichung, Taiwan will prove itself in close examination, and you might point that out to him. The Chaparral in either the CF or Titanium, (I have both), I think would be an excellent choice, and the mid-lock is a bit easier to manipulate with aging fingers and hands.

Either the Sage or the Chap would make a very nice gift for your Dad. But I do think that the little Chaparral would be the best choice of the two.
Just an old guy's opinion. ;)
A happy birthday to your Dad. :)
Chap my pocket right now! I love it for office carry, but I was hoping to get him something a little more robust for when he's out cutting wood or renovating a room. I like the sage for him because it's right between the Chap and GB IMO. Maybe I should just give in and give him all 3 :/ Let me know if you're leaning toward Sage2 or Sage1 when you get it. I think he'd like the CF weight and grip better, but the simplicity of the titanium is nice. I also have a Sage4 I considered giving him, but he'd never use it cause it's too pretty.
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

abbazaba wrote:
abbazaba wrote:Chap my pocket right now! I love it for office carry, but I was hoping to get him something a little more robust for when he's out cutting wood or renovating a room. I like the sage for him because it's right between the Chap and GB IMO. Maybe I should just give in and give him all 3 :/
Chap my pocket right now! I love it for office carry, but I was hoping to get him something a little more robust for when he's out cutting wood or renovating a room. I like the sage for him because it's right between the Chap and GB IMO. Maybe I should just give in and give him all 3 :/ Let me know if you're leaning toward Sage2 or Sage1 when you get it. I think he'd like the CF weight and grip better, but the simplicity of the titanium is nice. I also have a Sage4 I considered giving him, but he'd never use it cause it's too pretty.
In that case Sage1 is the best choice.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Under those conditions the Sage would be a fine choice. Use mine everyday. Good thinking on your part. ;)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Hard to go wrong with any of the Native 5 variants. I saw one of the CF/S110V model for sale on BF recently and that would be my top choice if you can find one on the secondary market. The FRN/S90V Forum Native and the G10 Native are also excellent knives.

The back lock on the Native 5's has been one of the more solid locks I've encountered.