Help me choose a spydie-gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Help me choose a spydie-gift

Post by elena86 »

I need help to choose a spydie as a Christmass gift for my brother in law who is also my best friend.It's going to be his first spyderco so I wish to be a quintessential spyderco in every aspect.Knowing him, I am sure he is going to carry and use it everywhere(he is both a city and outdoor guy); he is the one-knife type guy and I know that because he carried and used only one SAK( and he owns a few) for the last 10 years or so but I saw him drooling over my spydies and asking alot of questions about locks and steels.All I know is that he doesn't want a slipjoint anymore (and he hates blade play in his folders) but something more capable in any given situation with a strong lock.I am going to engrave something nice on the blade and I hope it's going to be a nice surprise for him.I will probably atach a Sharpmaker because I know he likes to sharpen his blades and he is quite a skilled sharpener.I have to mention that money is not an issue here.Thanx.
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Gato

Re: Help me choose a spydie-gift

Post by El Gato »

I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions here. Whatever you end up getting, along with the Sharpmaker, is going to make a very nice Christmas gift. You and your brother in law are both going to be happy.
Good for you! :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

If you want 'quintessential' Spyderco I'd always suggest the full stainless Police model- especially in the serrated edge. It's everything Sal, Eric and family are about and no fripperies....Plus, if you want to engrave something nice, that big empty expanse of steel handle is the perfect canvas :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I think if your brother in law is a practical man then you should look at getting him a good working knife. The HAP 40 Endura/Delica or s110v Manix would be great users but if you want to get him something more special I would go for a Gayle Bradley. The GB can handle pretty much anything and it still looks great :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

There are so many good choices that you really can't go wrong. When I buy knife gifts for non knife friends or family it's always a Tenacious or Man/Ladybug but if I were to buy one for a friend looking to upgrade I'd without a doubt go for the LW Manix BD1. The S110V manix is one of my very favorite folders ever but I don't think it's a good choice for someone who isn't a proficient sharpener, the BD1 will be a great steel to sharpen and get better on.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

A few that always make me appreciate Spyderco

Stainless Steel Delica (any version of the Delica is a solid choice)
G10 Dragonfly
Any Para 2
Any Native (the G10 and Forum Natives are absolutely amazing versions)

I am sure he will appreciate anyone that you choose.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

He's a very practical guy so a strong reliable working folder will make him happy.And it will probably be his go to folder, day and night, in any environment, not a display piece.AFAIK he never left his house without his, now retired, SAK.I suspect he will enjoy something easy to carry but big enough to acomplish multiple tasks.In the same time I'd like to be something in the midle to high end range folder that will give him some pride of ownership with a good allaround blade steel, not too hard but not too soft either.I am too biased towards 2-3 models that's why I'm asking my fellow forumites to help me decide.Brainstorming is allways better.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Well I think in this case you cannot go wrong with a Gayle Bradley or a Sage 1 :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
endgame

Post by endgame »

It has to be the pm2 black g10 and silver blade.get him a deep carry pocket clip for the city.best lock and blade combo.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I second the PM2 option.Its very :spyder: -ish,strong lock,light,small enough for the town and big enough for the outdoors.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Since you say budget is no object, then either a PM2 or Slysz Bowie :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Get him a delica and endura. One ffg one saber ground fully serrated. Its hard to know what he'll like best until he uses it.
BTG

Post by BTG »

middle to high end....maybe a little large, fine for me, and I'm like 5'10" 180....but I can't think of anything better than a Ti Millie.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Well I think in this case you cannot go wrong with a Gayle Bradley or a Sage 1 :)
Agree with Johnnie. Great choices all around. I'd personally add the Techno, Slysz Bowie, or the Ti Native. Can you tell I like Ti? ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Thank you all for the great suggestions but let's narrow down the things a little.Let me remind you the key words:quintesssential, carry and use everywhere(both city and outdoors), capable in any given situation, strong lock, pride of ownership.I was thinking of a 3 incher maybe bigger but not more than 3.5 inch, inhouse design, G10 or CF handle.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Well, given what you have stated as your requirements it is really hard not to suggest the pm2 I think. I considered the Delica too but I have a feeling that you want to give him something a bit nicer (even though it sounds like he's the type that would be perfectly happy with the Delica).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

PM2 is in pole position.Nothing new here, but I was expecting at least one more clear contender to give me the sensation that I make a choice :).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Based on your last criteria I would say Sage1 or Para2 depending on what handle material and blade length you want to go with.

Edit: don't rule out the Caly3.5cf either. I don't know if ZDP is what you want but I think it checks all the other boxes.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BTG

Post by BTG »

In that size, a nice PM2 sounds good...or maybe a cruwear Manix 2...still see them at bentoboxshop....a little pricey..don't know how available over there.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Based on your last criteria I would say Sage1 or Para2 depending on what handle material and blade length you want to go with.

Edit: don't rule out the Caly3.5cf either. I don't know if ZDP is what you want but I think it checks all the other boxes.
Yes Bear.Sage1 is the strongest contender.A tough one.

P.S.All my Caly3.5's had up/down blade play so...I have more confidence in Spyderco's liner locks.