What makes a forum "vet"?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

What makes a forum "vet"?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Ive been curious about this lately. Is it post count? The amount of time you've been on the forums? Both? I've seen people with 500+ posts but theyve only been on for say, 3 months and I've seen people with maybe 100 posts but they've been around the forums for years. Are they considered a "vet"? Feel free to as questions if i didn't clarify well enough.
Monocrom

Re: What makes a forum "vet"?

Post by Monocrom »

You just become one at some point. Generally it's something that is quietly understood by other forum vets. No real mention of it or fanfare. Sorry if that sounds too cryptic. I guess the default answer is if a recognized forum vet makes a Happy Birthday topic for you on your Birthday.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I am not always recognized as a Spyderco Forums vet....
MostInterestingMan.jpg
MostInterestingMan.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
but when I am....

I am usually mistaken for this man...
deacon.jpg
keep posting, my friend! :spyder: :p :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I think the vets around here are the ones who represent the forum in a good way, welcoming new comers kindly, offering advise without making others feel stupid, not being combative or trying to stir the pot. It's definately not post count or how long you've been hangin here. There are quit a few old timers around here who carry themselves well and have my respect, just like in the real world and like everywhere there are some that need some improvement.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

What makes you a vet?- giving out antibiotics to poodles and so forth. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When you read a new thread title and immediately think "Not THIS again", you have become a forum vet.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

demoncase wrote:What makes you a vet?- giving out antibiotics to poodles and so forth. ;)
ahh, but a *forum* vet would probably just offer advice on treatment, since the functionality of a veterinary e-clinic has yet to be fully worked out.

...or perhaps you were just illustrating that clever word play and sarcasm are often wielded by true forum vets? :p
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

awa54 wrote:
demoncase wrote:What makes you a vet?- giving out antibiotics to poodles and so forth. ;)
ahh, but a *forum* vet would probably just offer advice on treatment, since the functionality of a veterinary e-clinic has yet to be fully worked out.

...or perhaps you were just illustrating that clever word play and sarcasm are often wielded by true forum vets? :p
Heh- Bazinga :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
awa54

Post by awa54 »

demoncase wrote: Heh- Bazinga :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazinga_(genus)

wait, what?!?

only a true forum vet could make such an obscure reference stick!

;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ha, when you need to start posting in off topic you have become a vet. :D

I have a lot of posts but I don't consider myself a vet. I am not a newbie but there are many who know far more than me about Spyderco. I guess I still consider myself a student.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Ha, when you need to start posting in off topic you have become a vet. :D

I have a lot of posts but I don't consider myself a vet. I am not a newbie but there are many who know far more than me about Spyderco. I guess I still consider myself a student.
Keep going Daniel San :D

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think quality vs. quantity comes into play here. I have 3k more posts than Sal but I highly doubt mine contributed as much as his did ;)

You can reply to every thread and drive up post count very easily without ever having really said or contributed anything meaningful.

Sort of like this post right here :D
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

When you take a break from the forums for months.... And other member remember you PLUS are happy to see you back.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Personally I think you are a "veteran" when it's obvious you care enough to contribute to the place. If your account is 10 years old and you have 50 posts or it's 3 months old and you have 3000 posts; it's more the attitude than the numbers. There are people here who contribute FAR more than their post count or age would make you believe.

Basically...intent is everything. Are you here to stay and try and help other or just picking fights with random people on the internet? :)
LC Kid

The Real Vet

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

A Forum Vet? :rolleyes:

Anyone who, like me, begin checking the Forum from the Off-Topic section. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think what BLERV said carries a lot of weight toward the true meaning of a Forum Vet. I also think that the comradery you develop with fellow forum members over time plays a huge part in it as well.

Back in the mid to late 2000 decade I developed a lot of solid friendships and name recognition which I feel was in the direction of being a Forum Vet. Having significant contributions to threads and having original ideas also play a part as well.

I think it's fair to say that once you've got at least two years here on a consistent basis I would say that most Forum members would attain Vet status for the most part>> post count really can be deceiving because you can have a lot of posts that don't really say much. And quality will beat out quanity when you establish yourself as a solid forum member IMO.