work knife suggestions.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: work knife suggestions.

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd recommend trying it for food prep if you;re worried about breaking it, but I would try it at work...it's a great work knife and will take more than you might suspect. Carry your current favourite work knife for the really hard tasks, but use the Millie for some of the lighter duty tasks and you'll get a good idea of whether or not you like it. I'm sure Harley likes the knife a lot, but if I'm not mistaken he bought a CruWear Millie and I suspect that it has completely kicked the S30V version out of his rotation. I could be wrong.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

This is it.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/Spyderco_Mi ... 6gpsbk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now to try find one and figure out how to afford it.

Joel's ultimate worker.

And she's a looker .

Also the fluted to military is on my want list.

I'm dropping hints to my Mrs so maybe "big maybe" she will get me one for our anniversary or Christmas.

Shame on you guys for infecting me with the bug again.
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

JAfromMN wrote:No combo Military .

Bummer.
I have a combo military, bought it like 10 yrs ago. Kicking myself for not getting a plain edge. Love the knife itself, and would definitely get another, but this was my first foray into combo edges, and I am not impressed. Thinking of selling this one to help fund a new one with a plain edge
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Birdman21 wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:No combo Military .

Bummer.
I have a combo military, bought it like 10 yrs ago. Kicking myself for not getting a plain edge. Love the knife itself, and would definitely get another, but this was my first foray into combo edges, and I am not impressed. Thinking of selling this one to help fund a new one with a plain edge
Somebody feel free to buy birdmans military for me.

Lol

It should sell quickly
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

JAfromMN wrote:
tr4022 wrote:
anagarika wrote:Tod,

Try the trick of brushing the lock aside. I can do it with both left or right hand. IIRC, i posted the trick over the BF thread.

Thanks for the tip, Anagarika, I'll give it a try. Hmmm, looks like JAMinn already has his new knife, but the question now is, How long can we keep this thread goin'? Here's my contribution for the day.

Lol I'm already rethinking the harpy as my work knife.

I know what I want now though and our boy Harley is letting me test his. MILITARY. I want mine in combo edge or fs
The military is a great blade from what I've heard. Fondled one once in AZ and it felt good. sturdy and robust. I'm very excited to be getting a 440v SE millie soon.
adam569

Post by adam569 »

The only military I have is the cruwear and I'll admit to not edc it. For me the delica is the perfect work knife I'm rough on it and if something happens it's not unreplacable. I keep my elmax pm2 also at work but don't use it as hard.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm getting really excited about the military that will hopefully be here tomorrow.

"Thanks again Harley "

Ps
I got the harpy today. Its a nice knife and I like it but I need to get used to it a little before I try using it at work.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Temprence 2
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

bornagainprimative wrote:Temprence 2
Its a bit more knife than I need.

I also don't like the extra attention a fixed blade gets on my belt.

It would be a good worker though.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I got Harley's military today and I got to say I'm a impressed with it and a little disappointed in myself.

I should have tried one of these years ago.

I really like the feel of it in hand. Like it was made for me.

Now if I can find a combo edge in black I'm going to be very happy.

Black combo military and a my black super tool 300.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Well I've been doing some thinking about what I want to carry this winter.

I tried the military it's to much knife for public so i carried my combo delica and it got me thinking.

I know what I want out of my knife and one just won't do it even with a multitool blade soooo

I'm making a blade less multitool and I'm going to carry 3 blades this winter.

Serrated endura in my winter pants, a combo edge delica in my jeans frp, and a dragonfly" I almost decided on a man bug but it has no clip" in my shirt pocket plane edge. All in zdp189.

So now I'm hunting for a zdp dragonfly and a black combo military just because I want one.

:D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I want to thank everyone again for there suggestions.

I decided to make the knife I wanted out of a hard used zdp delica.

I made the back flat so it's super pointy, did away with the jimpimg, rounded the hump and spine, stonewashed, beyond insanely sharp plane and serrated edges.

Its been working out great but it is a little small.

I thought you might want to know
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It's discontinued now, but they used to sell a CE Stretch. I got one at the SFO as a bonus when I bought my first PM2 in 2010. The Stretch is in between the Delica and the Endura in size, and features a wonderfully ergonomic handle shape. It is closer to the Endura in blade length yet closer to the Delica in handle length.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:Dyad???
Interesting thread JA :) You mention the Dyad for a possible "Work Knife"? I carried/EDCed a C-44 Dyad ( the big model) for a little over a year and loved having the two premium quality blades at hand. Because I personally use Spyderedged ( serrated) and plain edged blades both on a daily basis and the Dyad was a good one for me. There were two minor complaints I had about the C-44 Dyad however>> first off there is no lanyard hole or attachment to implement the use of a lanyard and when I'm in the woods or around construction sites or going from place to place working I almost always use a lanyard for my more valuable folders anymore.

Now I coud do without the lanyard if the Dyad would come with a nice belt sheath. Since I don't use my Dyad like I used to I"ve adapted another regimen. I have what I call "companion blades" which most of the time is a fully serrated Spyderco Hawkbill that I use as a companion blade to my main user. Here lately I've been using my M390 Military, SE 440V Native and SE Harpy as my most used daily line up.

If I had one recommendation for a Work Knife for what your trying to do I would recommend the new NATIVE 5 in either SE or PE. The NATIVE 5 in full Spyderedge is high on my gotta have list for a good reason. Let us know what you end up deciding.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

The delica is a little small.

I'm going to carry it until I figure out something.

If the dyad I'd like wasn't 160.00 I'd buy one. I think it's the knife Id be the most happy with.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JAfromMN wrote:The delica is a little small.

I'm going to carry it until I figure out something.

If the dyad I'd like wasn't 160.00 I'd buy one. I think it's the knife Id be the most happy with.
Well JA all I can say is that some time you just flat out get what you pay for. I will admit that a $160 price tag for a C-44 Dyad does seem to be a bit extravagant for a folding pocket knife>> especially one you'll be working hard with. However don't forget the old adage "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" and more often than not that's kind of been the story of my life to a large degree ;) and as long as you don't lose it or get it stolen the knife will pay for itself in the long haul. Really you should look at it as an investment of sorts.

Two of the Military models I love so well were not cheap either but once I got to working with them and once I seen how great they are to work with the price tag doesn't bother me so much anymore. Now if you weigh out all of your options and you still can't justify the price tag for the Dyad then by all means I would go with my second recommendation>> i.e. and that would be to select something ( or even two folders for that matter) from the H-1 Salt Series. You absolutely can't go wrong with anything from the H-1 Salt Series.

And now that I think about it being you are from the "Land Of Ten Thousand Lakes" the H-1 Salt Series is starting to make even more sense to me. But whatever decision you make please keep us posted and let us know what you've decided upon.