Quick Delica4 Pivot removal question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vlawson

Quick Delica4 Pivot removal question

Post by vlawson »

I want to put Loctite on my Delica 4's pivot screw.

I would like to completely remove the pivot screw to do so. I don't want to be sloppy and get loctite on the internals. Also, if there is a thread lock compound from the factory, I'd like to remove it before adding my own.

Question(s):
If I do remove the screw, will the lock bar jump up? Will the blade fall out? Tips here? Should I hold tension anywhere while the screw is out? Does it help if the knife is open or closed?

I do not want to disassemble the knife. I do not want to void the warranty, or deal with a new knife in pieces. I simply want to loctite my constantly loosening pivot screw.

Thanks.
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
SpeedHoles

Re: Quick Delica4 Pivot removal question

Post by SpeedHoles »

Just remove the screw alone (don't bother removing pivot). Put a thin film of loc-tite 243 (don't glob it on), then install screw and torque to desired tension. Don't play with the screw tension too much after initial tightening.
Good luck!
Going back to Caly.
PM1

Post by PM1 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Just remove the screw alone (don't bother removing pivot). Put a thin film of loc-tite 243 (don't glob it on), then install screw and torque to desired tension. Don't play with the screw tension too much after initial tightening.
Good luck!
+1

Don't worry, nothing will explode or fall apart when you take that single screw out. The pivot should stay in the knife.

Side note to people who want to fully disassemble a Delica/Endura series knife: not only will you void the warranty, but the lockbar spring can be a royal pain when you try to put it back together. Just so you know. ;)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I said this before, but the fact that your pivot rotates when opening/closing means that there is "something up" with the knife... current D4s have a flat on the side of the pivot and a corresponding flat spot in the hole the pivot goes through, the pivot should *not* be able to rotate.

Maybe the knife you have is older and the keyed pivot was a CQI addition to newer knives, but the parts kit I have for the D4 has flats on all of the pins. Did you buy this knife new from a retailer?

As mentioned above loctite on the threads of the screw is all that's required, but if you've lubed the pivot area before, you'll want to degrease the screw and the female threads in the pivot before using loctite. I'd suggest rubbing/denatured alcohol or acetone/nail polish remover and the tip of a paper towel rolled to make a small point (for cleaning in the female threaded area), just be careful not to get paper caught down in the threads, that can be a real pain to get out!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

awa54 wrote:I mentioned it before, but the fact that your pivot rotates when opening/closing means that there is "something up" with the knife... current D4s have a flat on the side of the pivot and a corresponding flat spot in the hole the pivot goes through, the pivot should not be able to rotate.

Maybe the knife you have is older and the keyed pivot was a CQI addition to newer knives, but the parts kit I have for the D4 has flats on all of the pins. Did you buy this knife new from a retailer?

As mentioned above loctite on the threads of the screw is all that's required, if you have lubed the pivot area before, then you'll want to degrease the screw and the female threads in the pivot before using the loctite. I'd suggest rubbing or denatured alcohol and the tip of a paper towel rolled to make a small point (for getting in the female threaded area), just be careful not to get paper caught down in the threads, that can be a real pain to get out!

Many of them I have messed with still have enough play (loose tolerance) in the D-shaped pivot to liner interface to allow it to rock back and forth a bit, which may appear at first glance that it could be rotating back and forth as you open/close.

And good note on the alcohol to clean threads of oil before thread-lock is applied.
Going back to Caly.
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

awa54 wrote:I said this before, but the fact that your pivot rotates when opening/closing means that there is "something up" with the knife... current D4s have a flat on the side of the pivot and a corresponding flat spot in the hole the pivot goes through, the pivot should *not* be able to rotate.

I'm 90% sure it's just the pivot screw, and not the pivot pin, that's rotating. Ill triple check this afternoon before taking the screw out.

Yes, I purchased this new from Knifehog, only about a week ago.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hi vlawson, that's really odd. The way that the pivot is keyed the screw head that tensions it shouldn't move like that... but what SpeedHoles describes sounds pretty plausible. If the pivot pin isn't rotating, then loctite will certainly fix the problem.

PS You ought to be able to see if the pivot is engaged in the liner once you take the screw and washer off.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

SpeedHoles wrote:Many of them I have messed with still have enough play (loose tolerance) in the D-shaped pivot to liner interface to allow it to rock back and forth a bit, which may appear at first glance that it could be rotating back and forth as you open/close.
This is 100% true for mine, upon inspection. The pivot pin is D-shaped, with a flat side, and the liner is milled with a D-shaped hole. The Pivot pin does in fact turn slightly within the liner, but catches before it gets too far in its rotation. So, my problem is simply a screw that likes to loosen. I believe that maybe the washer was rotating slightly with the pivot, but only catching the screw head in the counterclockwise direction. Anyhow, called Spyderco CS and they said to loctite it and that it would not void the warranty.

Loctiting now...

THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me so far since joining this forum. As a relatively new member to the Forum and to Spyderco, I really appreciate it.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I acquire more knives, but as I gain experience, I intend to give back as much as I can, and answer questions as well as ask them!