Nitpicking the Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Nitpicking the Caly 3

Post by awa54 »

In light of the coming discontinuation of the Caly 3 I picked one up, since it has been on my want list since I first handled a UKPK.

I have a few observations about details on the Caly 3 and wonder if others share any of them... First is the longer shallower choil, with a less pronounced front lip (which I assume is required to allow clearance for the locking mechanism) than the profile on the UKPK. The UKPK version just feels more secure to me. I know that the second finger has the same retention ability on both, so this is more a perception than a real issue. Next up is the *huge* pivot bolt heads, I can't imagine a structural reason that they had to stand completely free of the scales like that. Then there's the inside finish of the Spyder hole, it looks like the milling inside a Soviet era rifle receiver (very rough!), this was the same on my Kiwi 4 too, I know this is a total non issue as far as function, but it's out of place on a knife that has such a high level of F&F everywhere else! And last the interface between the handle scales and liners, the Caly 3 is the only knife I own with CF or G10 scales that has either enough gap or flexibility in the scale to allow that interface to be felt and heard when you tap the scales across the handle from the rivets/spine.

None of these take away from my overall impression that the Caly 3 is an awesome design and very well executed, but it definitely falls a tiny bit short of the standard set by my Chaparral and Ti UKPK (IMO the most similar knives to the Caly 3 in my collection).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
twinboysdad

Re: Nitpicking the Caly 3

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal mentioned issues on the plant making Caly 3 and 3.5, and as a huge fan of both I can only hope the model is being reviewed for CQI and possibly a Golden, CO manufacture. They are both better knives than the Native IMO
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is one of my all time favorite knives and I am sad to see it go. Bummer about the poor fit on the scales. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
swigert

Post by swigert »

Im really hoping but also thinking its the case that the reason for discontinuation is the maker just isn't up to par and isn't doing what Spyderco needs and wants.

I would not be surprised in any way if in 1-2 years these knives are being made in Golden.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Never had one.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is one of my all time favorite knives and I am sad to see it go. Bummer about the poor fit on the scales. :(
I think it must be the nature of the CF material combined with the fact that the scales are really only held firmly along the spine and at the pivot that creates this situation, hardly a huge F&F fail (though a sheet of paper can slide in between scales and liner in some places), just a little shortfall when compared to a Golden or Taichung made knife.

The Caly 3 is made by Moki right? I got a Moki Blakiston's Fish Owl about a year back, and was baffled by the loose bolster fit, used to be they had a rep for some of the best F&F in the production knife world.
Last edited by awa54 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have owned a Caly3 for a number of years, now. The fit and finish on my example are perfect. There are no gaps, spaces, or anything. The liners and scales and spacer blend so perfectly they all look like one piece to the naked eye. This is the smoothest operating Spyderco I own, of any lock type. The shallow choil bugs me a bit, but I am not a huge choil fan. I love the large pivot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

My Calys are two of my favorite knives

ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah, the pivot screw is atrocious. I think it's a great knife though. I'd like to see the lock re-engineered to the tighter tolerances found on the Native 5. Or use a stop mechanism like on the Sage 4 and Chaparral.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Some of the best ergos I've ever handled in a knife. On this particular knife I tend to see the choil as more of a "trigger" type grip so the shallowness never bothered me like it does on a Stretch 2 or Gayle Bradley. The grip I hold it in finds my thumb pressing against the thumb ramp and my index finger pulling back on the choil.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

My SB Caly 3 exhibits some of the best and worse finish in the same knife.
The Bad-
1) Jimping on thumb ramp is not perpendicular and uneven
2) Spyder hole is uneven from one side to another.
3) Uneven blade grind especially at tip

The good-
1) Finish on the lock and back spacer fades into one another as a single piece of steel
2) Ergos are awesome. I love having the grip over the pivot, really comfortable and easy to control. I was looking at the GB 2 and no

The wish-
1) Screw construction not pined
2) Reduced pivot exposure. I like the big pivot pin but it could be more flush with the construction
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I guess in fairness I ought to say how fantastic the blade grind and backspacer finish are (*perfectly* flush lockbar open and closed), not to mention the flawless fit of the scales to the liners (aside from the microscopic gap between layers) and the perfect edge bevel all around the scale perimeter.

Like I said, it's hardly a sloppily made knife, but when compared to the near perfection of the Taichung and Golden made knives there's a difference to be seen.

(mine also has uneven jimping on the thumb ramp only, but not very noticeable)

The real solution here is to start EDCing this one so that its little faults blend in to the patina of regular use.
-David

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Caly 3 is the only Spyderco with a choil I occasionally carry. Fit & Finish on mine is excellent. That said, I will agree with your comment that the domed pivot is noticeable. I'll also add that I'd of liked the edges of the G10 scales softened a bit more. Still I will mourn it's passing, and look forward to a new & revised version.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I like my Caly 3.
Going back to Caly.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's a great design with an awesome blade and the ergos are out of this world. Caly 3 truly embodies the genius of Sal Glesser as a designer.The only folder that displaces my beloved SB Delica from my pocket and it carries like a dream.I don't care much about the small imperfections and mark my words: in a few years it's going to be one of the most sought after spydies.So,skip nitpicking and grab one while you can.I have 4 of them so I'm quite covered so to speak :D :p :)
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

swigert wrote:I would not be surprised in any way if in 1-2 years these knives are being made in Golden.
I hope this come true ! :)

Caly 3 (CF) is a great knife that just need few improvements !!! :cool:
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The one thing that I would nit pick about this knife is that in its current rendition if the blade falls, the sharp edge will catch your finger, unlike the Delica and others. But over all it is a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
endgame

Post by endgame »

All my calys are perfect I love this knife.and yes in 4 years it will be very sought after..there are some true caly lovers on this forum so im sure they will all chime in
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

One for show and one for go. I love these two!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Ahh memories. I remember when Sal was asking for input on the Caly 3 and I insisted it have an adjustable pivot. In hindsight I'm not sure if it actually mattered, but that knife is going to be my first Spyderco to see regular use for over a decade.

Not that I'm complaining about it's absence in the catalog, with limited production capacity and all the awesome designs coming out now I'm all ears for fancy new stuff.