S110V Mule corrosion resistance (hunting pics within)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
bearfacedkiller

S110V Mule corrosion resistance (hunting pics within)

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So I have a few mules but the one that I use the most is definitely my S110V mule. I have been using it a lot ever since the first day it came out. It is my hunting knife, ice fishing knife, camping knife and it has seen quite a bit of use in my kitchen and around the house, yard and garden. It has also spent many days riding in my lunchbox at work. It has worn a set of halpern scales the whole time and it has been at least a year since the last time I had them off. Probably even longer, I can't actually remember when it was. It gets used to cut up fish for bait all winter long and is also used to gut some of the fish I catch. After a long day of icefishing I sometimes am too tired to deal with my gear and just leave my sled in the truck. I have had to thaw the mule out of a block of ice from the bottom of my sled a bunch of times. It was used all summer as a camping knife too. There are also at least a couple of times that my wife has run it through the dishwasher and it has sat in my kitchen sink dirty a bunch of times. This fall it was used to process a mule deer and an elk cow both as well as a few grouse and rabbits. The scales have not been off through any of this and no rust preventative has been used. If dish soap or hot water doesn't get it clean I will sometimes use some mineral spirits or isopropyl to clean it. I will just let the pictures fly from here and you can see for yourselves.

My ice fishing sled in case you didn't know what i was talking about. It can get water/snow in it and then it refreezes and the mule (as well as a ton of other stuff) is always freezing to the bottom of the sled in up to an inch of ice. I have had to bring a block of ice into the house and run it under hot water to get my mule out.

Dressed out my mule deer this year and used the mule when I got home to further process it. It spent that whole day covered in blood and gunk and was just washed with a little dish soap and hot water.

Cleaned some grouse and rabbits. Yes, we can shoot grouse with a rifle or handgun here in Colorado. This doesn't get the knife real dirty but it was raining on me a bunch that week. Gonna hopefully use the mule on some ducks here soon too.

Plenty of use in the kitchen and a few trips through the dishwasher.

It has also seen some use around the yard and in the garden.

On a recent elk hunt I used the mule to bone out a large elk cow. I was so exhausted and had so much stuff to do when I got home that it took me two weeks to get all my gear cleaned up and put away. Two weeks after I boned the elk out I finally pulled my S110V Mule and my BK15 out of my pack and expected to find a bunch of rust on them. The weather was nice when I shot the cow and it was nice until I got about halfway through boning it out but things got cold and wet after that. The knives were unfortunately put away wet and all gunked up. I know, I know, I should take good care of them. When you shoot an elk 2 miles from a road by yourself the clock starts ticking and with the weather turning priority number one is always getting the meat taken care of. It was five trips humping 70 pounds each time to get all the meat and my camping gear out. So when I pulled this thing out to my amazement it didn't have any visible rust or staining on it. I right away assume that S110V is every bit as stainless as I have come to think it is if not more and then I pull the slab of 1095 out of it's sheath only to find that it is rust free too. Hmmm... How could this be? There was such a heavy film of grease on it that it was well protected is my guess. It was harder to clean up than I thought and with a bunch of gunk crammed in around the handle slabs and tang I decided that that the scales were gonna have to come off to get it clean. I was anxious to see what was under there after all this time anyway and while there was a good bit of rust it all cleaned right up with some steel wool and a few bore brushes to get the holes in the tang and then a little mineral oil wipe down. So after a bunch of field use and food prep and a trip or three through the dishwasher this was all it had and it cleaned up well.

The operation. Boning it out and packing it out in a backpack. This is right before the weather changed.

The weather packing it out. Yuck.

The dirty knives. No, I don't have small feet. :)

Disassembly.

The rust on the scales seems to have stained a bit. Most of it came off but not all of it. They look way better than this now though.

A little steel wool, a couple of bore brushes and some mineral oil and it was good to go. The blade is spotless too.

Didn't have to do anything to the 1095 but wash it wish some hot water and it looks that same as before. Hmmm... There is a little rusting where the logo is cut into the coating but that is it. Fatty elk saved my knives. I had never left them this dirty for this long before and I guess I got a little lucky.

After all of the use I have put this through rust has been a complete non issue for me. I am sure water has been perpetually trapped under the scales as the knife is regularly subjected to wet conditions and to me this amount of corrosion is acceptable. I wiped the tang down with a generous amount of mineral oil this time before installing the scales and will take the scales off more often for a cleaning and oiling but other than that I am beyond super pleased with this knife.

Thanks for making such an awesome knife Spyderco!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Re: S110V Mule corrosion resistance (hunting pics within)

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow, that was a great write up Darby, thanks for sharing...
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Darby this an absolutely great review and very informative on the performance of S110V. I love seeing posts about knives at work in the field and yours is excellent. Now, more than ever, I am looking forward to a S110V version of the Military. Obviously a great steel for the outdoors.
Thanks for all the pictures and your comments! :) :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

It has been a great knife and a great steel. I am not trying to sell it as a super stainless steel or anything and I do not consider it to be the greatest steel for all applications. When I first got the Mules ( I have a pre-need replacement :) ) I was unsure what to expect and I kind of expected the worst. I thought it would be chippy, not totally stainless and impossible to sharpen. It has been none of those things to me. It came from the factory with a rather obtuse angle on the edge bevel and required significant reprofiling which I did with the sharpmaker and the diamond rods. It actually didn't take that long at all. As you can see I am terrible about maintenance (except for sharpening) and it hasn't rusted or pitted and I have scraped it against a ton of bones while processing game and the edge hasn't chipped at all. The only damage the edge has sustained so far is a very slight roll about an inch long mid blade and another slight roll about 1/4" long closer to the tip. I did this at some point while processing my mule deer this year but I was scraping and cutting against bone a bunch and I used it to separate joints so I probably did it at some point hitting some bone. I actually like the steel for game because I don't like to stop and sharpen and my required minimum level of sharpness for that job isn't atom splitting or anything. When camping or backpacking I like a nice easy to sharpen knife because I enjoy sharpening, especially when camping, and I like a very, very sharp knife around the campsite. I do not find S110V difficult to sharpen but as you progress through the grits on the sharpmaker it takes longer with each grit as you go finer. Sure, the diamond rods eat all steels about the same but by the time you get to the fine and ultra fine rods you can really see the difference in grindability. I can get it just as sharp as other steels but it isn't worth the effort for me. I finish it on the brown rods so it shaves clean and call it good. That doesn't take me long and it holds that edge very well. I like S110V and use it often and am glad I have it but it couldn't be my only steel. It wouldn't be my first choice for EDC but it will certainly hold a very functional edge all the way through boning out an elk which is great.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Good info Darby! I have tested s90v on my kayak and though its not H1, it does really well considering the environment.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing. Love off-studio real use knife-pictures. Seems you give your blades real jobs....
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice thread Darby, have you thought about getting a Southfork, maybe you can pick one up at the seconds sale?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience! Good job cleaning that baby up too, looks brand new.

Interesting thought you bring up though...could I have S110V as the only steel in my pocket? I too really like it's crazy die hard performance, but sometimes I do really want a super high level of sharpness and so far I think I've had the hardest time getting it with S110V because of how wear resistant it is. Harder than S90V or ZDP. It could just be my technique which is still not great, but it is definitely more difficult and it makes me wonder if it's worth it sometimes. It's a great steel and I love working it out, but I don't think I'd want my boning knife made from S110V.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have a sniper bladeworks in 1095 and it hasnt even spotted after heavy use same with my kabar.I havnt used s110v much yet but will soon.I think 1095 is very underrated and deemed cheap but if done right mine has hamon it holds a screaming edge and no rust.
bearfacedkiller

Toomz,
I try to use my knives as much as I can. I don't "collect" knives but I definitely hoard them so they don't all get a lot of real honest use. None are new or babied but I don't always use them enough. The reason for the write up was that I had in fact actually used this one a real lot.

Jon,
You bet I have thought about getting a southfork. It has been on my list for a while but it is pricey and for some reason I keep buying more folders instead and then the Sprig got announced and it looks more attractive to me. I like the blade shape and length better and it costs less and I think I heard they were gonna grind it a little thinner. I think that for my uses that the Sprig might be a better field knife. I will definitely be looking at the seconds sale.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Payne,
I like using this mule when hunting and fishing because even though I love knives and sharpening I don't want to be doing it in the field. In my daily life I never have marathon cutting chores like I do either in the field or in the kitchen so I don't really need S110V. I actually carry S30V, VG10, Super Blue and Cruwear the most for EDC but I also touch my knives up a little almost every day. Some of this just comes down to my sharpening habits I guess.

Endgame,
I have used 1095 a lot and like it. I have one kitchen knife in 1095 and I have used 1095 camping forever. Becker, Esee and Kabar have extremely popular product lines made from it and I have had great results with knives from all of them. I have used it in Dexter Russel knives too. That is what they use for their carbon steel knives. I have been looking at a custom chefs knife in 1095 for a while now. I would love to try it a little harder. Dexter Russel and Becker/Esee/Kabar all run it at like 56-58 I think. Maybe I'll get that custom for Christmas? :)
-Darby
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

BFK,

Great review. You said s110v would not be your EDC steel choice, may I ask what is your choice? You may keep me from snagging a PM2 in s110 with your answer
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

[quote="twinboysdad"]BFK,

Great review. You said s110v would not be your EDC steel choice, may I ask what is your choice? You may keep me from snagging a PM2 in s110 with your answer, since my B&M has lots of s30v models and s110v both
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

Thanks, great write up and photos (Nice GP100 grips as well!)

So far i'm not sold on Spyderco's fixed blade for use as knives for hunting, especially higher altitude backpack style hunting. Seems funny that they are so good at getting the strength vs weight ratios down pat on their folders, but not so much on the fixed blades. These days it seems like backcountry western hunters (me included!) are preferring lighter and smaller blades in general, like Havalons or even skeletonized titanium blades like Kestrel offers.

As for me, I've used a Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf, but hate the D2 on it. I'm currently experimenting with $15 Moras (The HighQ and Companion) during this waterfowl season to see if I will trust to take them out for Sierra mule deer next year.

Edited to add that I just looked up the Mule and it shows at 2.8oz w/o handle scales. That's pretty good....
"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
bearfacedkiller

The BK15 and Mule worked well on this elk hunt because I needed them both for camp chores too. I backpacked in a couple miles and was tent camping solo. The mule did camp cooking duties and the becker did some bushcraft work. They are both good knives for multitasking. I have thought a lot about getting a Bill Moran but now I have my heart set on a Sprig. The Mule may see a bit less field use when the Sprig gets here.
-Darby
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yea Dexter russel are what my prep cooks use they are like the reatrounts beaters.I do not no the steel.my xhef knives are vg10. get vg10 for the kitchen its the best all around working steel .beeing a xhef I use thes 12 hours a day and they sure do hold a edge.I use a wicked edge at about a 20°angle.if you are lucky to find shun's ken onion's original line of chef knives buy them they are the best all around chef knives out there.not his new line.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Thank you for summing up what convinced me to use the S110V mule even a little more than the XHP for hunting.

I thought S110V would be weird for EDC, too but the Manix LW proved me wrong-and I´m glad it did. It keeps going after lots of cardboard and paper cutting and with the brown Sharpmaker rod finish saws through dark bread crust as easy as it shaves salami slices for lunch breaks. While having Halpern scales on it I even had M390 rust and S30V as well as VG10 and others turned red when confronted with my sweat. S110V not yet.
As for this special Mule: It was discussed not being planned to be this thin behind the edge but this is one of my main reasons to use it more than the others (new 4V is ground to the same thin-ness).

Actually I use the Moran a lot for hunting. For not being full tang it performs great with good sheath and great handle.

vlawson: Stainless Moras have a tendency to roll the edge when hitting bones and get scary sharp in a breeze. For field processing deer I would rather use a Helle. I get the deer, roe and red deer, I shoot to a refridgerator room (no need to skin or quarter it) and I can absolutely rely on Helle three layer models to stay sharp even when hammered throough the pelvic bone or ribs, just like the S110V Mule (the Moran loses optimal sharpness when driven through bones).