PM2 - Too large to EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

PM2 - Too large to EDC?

Post by mad german »

Hi all. I recently ordered a PM2 but now am starting to second guess myself. I don't have it in my hands yet, should be here today or tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I ordered too much knife. Right now, I EDC a Delica and a Cold Steel American Lawman. I like the size of both of them, but I think the PM2 will be even bigger than the Lawman. Maybe it carries better in the pocket, I'm not sure. I do know it's a little bit lighter.

The other thing that I'm concerned about is the blade retention in the handle of the PM2. All of my other folders are lockbacks, so the blades snap back into the handle nicely. Having the blade open while in my pocket is never a concern with those knives. I know nutnfancy had the blade of a Tenacious open up on him and give him a cut on his hand, so now I'm wondering about the PM2's blade. Can it open up like the Tenacious blade?

Like I said, I'm just a little concerned about it.

Thanks for all the help you folks can offer.
My collection is ever changing!
Liquid Cobra

Re: PM2 - Too large to EDC?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Again I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have to wait until you receive it in hand to know if its too big for you or not. Only you can decide that.

As for the blade retention its not an issue and you don't need to worry about it. But I think you already knew that since you've asked before ;)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 5#p1050475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

You might consider it big if you like the size of the Delica.

As for it opening, the PM2 has four-way clip positioning, so as long as you position the clip to ensure that the spine of the blade rides against the edge of your pocket, you'll be fine.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I wouldn't say it's too big to EDC I've been mulling over getting something even bigger.

The blade retention is just fine I carry tip down and haven't ever run into issues.

It fits so nicely in hand and is so light for what it is. There's a reason it's so popular. If you find you don't like it when you get it I really doubt you will have a hard time flipping it.

- John
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi mad german,

I prefer smaller folders for EDC also (e.g. Dragonfly, Manbug, Ladybug) due to working in an office environment and company policy. Personally, the PM2 is far too large for me to EDC. However, you may be just fine if you're already accustomed to the Delica and Lawman. The PM2 actually rides fairly low in the pocket too, which is nice. I tend to carry larger folders like this in my waistband vs. right front pocket mainly because it's uncomfortable to have the knife bunch up in my pocket when I sit down. Hope this helps.
As for accidental opening, I've never had an issue with a Compression Lock opening up without my knowing it. If it makes you feel better, though, just carry it tip-down and you'll be just fine.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You didn't like what you heard in the other thread? It isn't coming open in your pocket. If you are really worried about it then carry it with the spine against the seam of your pocket. I bet most of us on here own a Para2 and I haven't heard any complaints about the detent. I have multiple Para2s and the detent is quite strong on all of them. The detent on backlocks is different than locks with a ball detent and I can see the concern. A backlock tries to pull the blade closed until it is open almost half way while a ball bearing detent stops holding the blade as soon as it is overcome. I think that is one of the bigger benefits of a backlock. I have dropped both a Delica and a Para2 on the ground many times and the Delica has never come open but the Para2 has opened when imacting the ground on more than one occasion. With that said, I feel as though you are overthinking this a little bit. It isn't coming open in your pocket.

The Para2 is wildly popular as an EDC blade and for many the size is perfect. It is definitely bigger than a Delica but it isn't imposing or threatening to me. It rides well in the pocket and it isn't heavy at all. It is one of the most popular EDC knives out there for a reason. :) I hope you enjoy it. It is my favorite model.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I carry a Para 2 very often with no problems. It's really not that big in the pocket. Out of all 14 Para 2s I've owned, all had excellent blade retention. Nothing to worry about there. Enjoy it!
:bug-red-white
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Hahaha, no.

It is not big at all. Good blade to handle ratio.

Never had an issue with it opening in my pocket nor have I ever heard of someone having that issue.

Just wait for it to arrive and you will see.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Only if you have very small pockets, laws preventing it to be carried or a personal aversion to fairly bulky knives.

Compared to some folders it's scant; compared to others it's a giant. Perspective and all that.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Overly concerned.
Going back to Caly.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thanks guys. Apologies for asking the same questions in two different threads. I didn't realize I asked the same questions twice. My PM2 has been shipped from knifehog.com so I should have it by week's end. I'm not sure if you guys would be interested, but I'd be happy to do a review from a "PM2 newb" perspective once I have some pocket time with it.

Cheers,
MG
My collection is ever changing!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No worries about asking twice. :)

We are always open to hearing people's opinions. If you have time to do a review then go for it. Again, I hope you like it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I EDC it in my right back pocket. Women's pockets are ridiculously small compared to men's and even with that in mind it's not too big for me to EDC. It has never opened in pocket or otherwise when it wasn't supposed to. Best overall knife ever IMO.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

Your stressing over this knife WAY too much! Lol! I can almost bet though, that once you actually get it and carry it, within a week you'll be wanting another one!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Looking forwards to your review MG :).

I don't know much about the Cold Steel American Lawman but if I had to guess the PM2 is going to feel even smaller. Thinner in pocket and lighter in hand.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It's a good size to EDC - full grip, capable of real work, but not overly large in pocket.

Once you get used to it, you'll start looking at the Military. Ask me how I know... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Spydergirl88 wrote:I EDC it in my right back pocket.
I carried mine there for a year. The G10 does chew through denim quite readily.

In the end, it was too big for my needs on a daily basis, but I do miss having the blade length now occasionally. I think my size preference issue had more to do with how large the handle was compared to the blade, but it was super comfortable to use in pretty much every grip.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Definitely not too big in use...the pm2 is pretty much perfect size for that. In pocket it is slightly more bulky than the Delica though. Get the knife and carry and use it for a week before you make any conclusions. This one grows on you very quickly.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Just get it first then worry
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

For me in business casual, yes it is too big. If I wore jeans to work the answer would be no.