Sculpted Cocobolo Stretch

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
The Deacon

Sculpted Cocobolo Stretch

Post by The Deacon »

A while back I saw a thread on BladeForums by a gentleman from Lithuania who makes custom scales for some of Spyderco's nested liner FRN models, including the Stretch. I asked if he could make a set in cocobolo with what I describe as an "Anso Style" and what he calls a "sculpted" texture. They arrived about a week ago and, IMHO, he did an excellent job, I think they're gorgeous. I finally got up the nerve to take the knife apart and install them yesterday. Several hours, and a whole lot of expletives :o later...

...and a shot with my other Stretch "woodies".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Re: Sculpted Cocobolo Stretch

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Those scales are gorgeous, IMO. Of the group, these are the best, though the others are quite nice too.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Those are all beautifully done, Paul. Really like the Anso-style texture on the new one too. I'd love to see that coupled with Snakewood. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

That bolstered little devil is sexy as anything.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still not sure how I feel about Anso on wood, but they're very nicely done.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It sort of looks like a diamond pattern on that one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That is one beautiful Stretch Paul, I notice it has been drilled for a pocket clip, are you planning on putting one on? I seem to remember you saying you prefer many of your knifes without pocket clips.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow beautifully done!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
paladin

Post by paladin »

Outstanding bookmatched slabs with loads of character!

I'm REALLY enjoying that transverse stripe bisecting the lanyard hole shooting past the lockbar pivot right now.

The way the "sculpted" pattern makes the grain look like a wavy damascus is striking, Paul...good call on the materials, pattern, & maker... :cool:

What part of the deconstruct/reconstruct made you swear? Was it something inherent in the Stretch design, or something specific to the handles themselves?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks everyone.
Evil D wrote:Still not sure how I feel about Anso on wood, but they're very nicely done.
I hear you, David. Nothing "works" for everyone. Beauty, and strangeness, are both in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing that you look at that and see a "tactical" texture that conflicts with a "traditional" material. I, on the other hand, look at it and see a texture reminiscent of old hand hewn beams and thus perfectly suitable to wood.
farnorthdan wrote:That is one beautiful Stretch Paul, I notice it has been drilled for a pocket clip, are you planning on putting one on? I seem to remember you saying you prefer many of your knifes without pocket clips.
Chalk that up to a brain fart on my part when communicating with Andrej. I have no plans to use a clip, even though he did supply longer screws.
paladin wrote:Outstanding bookmatched slabs with loads of character!

I'm REALLY enjoying that transverse stripe bisecting the lanyard hole shooting past the lockbar pivot right now.

The way the "sculpted" pattern makes the grain look like a wavy damascus is striking, Paul...good call on the materials, pattern, & maker... :cool:

What part of the deconstruct/reconstruct made you swear? Was it something inherent in the Stretch design, or something specific to the handles themselves?
I agree. It's some great looking cocobolo, and the texture adds even more character to it.

As for the cussing, chalk it up to my frustration with fingers that are no longer as nimble as they once were and eyes that are no longer as sharp as they once were having to deal with the design common to all Spyderco's midlocks with nested liner FRN handles. If you think losing a screw is annoying, try not being able to pick one up that's right in front of you. As for the pivot washers, they accounted for probably 75% of both the time and the invective.

The scales themselves were perfect. The liners and screws fit them perfectly. Putting the knife back together with the FRN scales would not have been any easier.
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Thanks everyone.
Evil D wrote:Still not sure how I feel about Anso on wood, but they're very nicely done.
I hear you, David. Nothing "works" for everyone. Beauty, and strangeness, are both in the eye of the beholder. I'm guessing that you look at that and see a "tactical" texture that conflicts with a "traditional" material. I, on the other hand, look at it and see a texture reminiscent of old hand hewn beams and thus perfectly suitable to wood.

Yep, on the nose. Tactical finish in a non tactical material, which normally I would like the mixing of both worlds. But, I do see what you mean about the beams. Makes me wonder if a more similar finish could be applied to wood scales.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Amazing, as are all of your Stretches!

Out of all of your aftermarket Stretch scales, which set had the nicest fit and finish? Or if you didn't want to put it that directly, who would you be most likely returning to for further work in the future?
Going back to Caly.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpeedHoles wrote:Amazing, as are all of your Stretches!

Out of all of your aftermarket Stretch scales, which set had the nicest fit and finish? Or if you didn't want to put it that directly, who would you be most likely returning to for further work in the future?
AFAIK, Steve Rice (STR) isn't doing Spyderco mods any more, so it's really between the other two. Steve Ketchen (spketch) and Andrej (suingab) both do excellent work but, to the best of my knowledge, only Andrej makes scales for Spyderco's nested liner FRN models. When I want another set I'll use one or the other, depending on the Stretch.

Funny thing, a few years back it was difficult to find someone to do this kind of work. Now it's hard to decide which of a number of excellent craftsmen to use.
Paul
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input.

I am somewhat familiar with Steve Ketchens amazing work, but hadn't heard of Suingab until you mentioned him. I looked up some of his other work and it looks great as well.
Going back to Caly.
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Beautiful cocobolo scales. I think they suit well a hunting blade like this.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Very NICE there Paul!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)