CS Exclusive Orange Manix 2 LW..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: CS Exclusive Manix 2 LW..

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:Yeah, and I believe that Kristi also confirmed that the Native LW handles were all frn, which honestly seems odd to me given that they are made in Golden and feel just like the handles on the LW manix to me.
I think the perceived difference in feel may just be from the finish the mold design puts on the scales. The Native and Manix have slick areas and square corners and the Japan FRN has a tiny bit of texture on the smoother areas and has contoured corners... but, Lance, you use yours probably somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 times more than I do, so I'll defer to your judgement about it :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The FRN on the earlier Golden made Natives was similar in texture to the Japanese FRN. The new stuff on the N5 does seem way different, and very similar to the Manix 2 LW. I prefer the softer FRN, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.
:bug-red-white
timlara

Post by timlara »

I don't really have a strong opinion on the texture of FRN vs FRCP, but I wish we could see some more translucent colors. Clear/smoke or translucent orange would be sweet on the Manix. Maybe the original translucent blue version hasn't sold very well?

I'm also not a big fan of coated blades. I like the way they look when they're brand new, but they just don't wear very well when used. I guess they still serve their purpose of being non-reflective after they're all scratched up, but for my very non-hardcore box cutting uses I don't care about that aspect. Coatings also seem to add a little drag / friction when cutting, but maybe that's my imagination. I'd rather have a plain blade that's easy to polish up if I want to.

Anyway, if this CS version is orange like the Facebook photo with non-coated XHP, it would still be very tempting...
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

timlara wrote:I don't really have a strong opinion on the texture of FRN vs FRCP, but I wish we could see some more translucent colors. Clear/smoke or translucent orange would be sweet on the Manix. Maybe the original translucent blue version hasn't sold very well?

I'm also not a big fan of coated blades. I like the way they look when they're brand new, but they just don't wear very well when used. I guess they still serve their purpose of being non-reflective after they're all scratched up, but for my very non-hardcore box cutting uses I don't care about that aspect. Coatings also seem to add a little drag / friction when cutting, but maybe that's my imagination. I'd rather have a plain blade that's easy to polish up if I want to.

Anyway, if this CS version is orange like the Facebook photo with non-coated XHP, it would still be very tempting...
Translucent smoke is one of the best color ideas I have heard yet.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Is there any information or hints on when this version might be available?
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

My money is on them being the DLC coated cts-xhp steel blades and orange handles. I also seeing them being sold for around the manix lw S110v price. After picking up the orange DLC para I know this would be a home run in my book.

I really don't understand all the dislikes for coated blades. I get it on the cheaper coatings but Spyderco's DLC is some really good stuff.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Tabo wrote:I really don't understand all the dislikes for coated blades. I get it on the cheaper coatings but Spyderco's DLC is some really good stuff.
I have a black/black Manix 2 XL and I like it. I haven't used it enough to harm the coating. The orange/black PM2 looks very striking, I'm not sure if I would rather have that one than the previous orange/satin. As for the lightweight, I will wait to see the cost and blade steel but so far it is sounding good.
346ci

Post by 346ci »

Satin or black, I'm in for at least 2.
Looking for orange Spydercos
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I don't have the any Manix (yet? :D )
But those orange scales make me want one a bit more !

Do the same to the Native ! :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Ruarch wrote:Translucent smoke is one of the best color ideas I have heard yet.
^^^^THIS
TheOutdoorNerd

Post by TheOutdoorNerd »

Translucent smoke with a blackwashed blade!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would be in for a lightweight XHP without a coated blade. If it's DLC, I'll probably pass.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hopefully these pics will help a little with what we'd be looking at color-wise with the satin vs DLC coated lightweight Manix 2 options. Of course, these are G10 variants and the lightweight version has the wire clip, but you get the gist. I was thumbing through my Photobucket and found these pics from old BF sales threads of mine. Here's the non-coated satin blade:

And a DLC coated one... This guy has some Allen Putnam hex pattern G10 scales. Maybe someone at CS got inspired by seeing this guy, its big brother XL and a PM2 I decked out all in the same theme ;). I'm sure glad they brought out their recent DLC XHP PM2 exclusive, I was missing the looks of these guys :). Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

If you don't feel like waiting on orange scales and have a cruwear you can just dye it to hold you over ;-)

Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

I do love the frn version, though. Can't wait to buy it!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Sarge930 wrote:If you don't feel like waiting on orange scales and have a cruwear you can just dye it to hold you over ;-)

Sarge,

Fist time I've seen another LEO Ultratech in the wild, you have very good taste :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Liquid Cobra

Re: CS Exclusive Orange Manix 2 LW..

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cutlery shoppe posted on their Facebook page today that the Orange LW Manix 2 might be S90V.

Edit: Apparently both in satin and DLC
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Interesting. Looks like it'll be awhile yet till we know a release date. Probably just going to pass on this one since I just got the lw s110v. I was very interested in this one but couldn't wait so now no I longer have a need for a lw with nice steel. Especially if the Caribbean is released around the same time or even announced.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Crazy! The first DLC treatment on a CPM steel other than S30V, right?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Crazy! The first DLC treatment on a CPM steel other than S30V, right?
The blacked out LW Native 5 is DLC on CPM S35VN, if memory serves.