Military for edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cody_G93

Military for edc

Post by Cody_G93 »

Hey guys, new to the forum here but not new to Spyderco's. Anyways, I will be going to the factory seconds sale and was considering picking up a Military if I can find one. Anyone regularly edc a Military? Just curious if it might be too big to comfortably carry. I have a Pm2 and a few Manix 2's that I edc all the time and have no problem carrying them. Any input would be great!
paladin

Re: Military for edc

Post by paladin »

A Millie is a GREAT choice if you want a large-ish EDC. :spyder:

It is VERY light for a large folder and the profile is equally impressive.

I'm right-handed and I carry it in my right rear pocket with the spine against the outer seam of the pocket.

I have carried it Front Right pocket but it's a little uncomfortable when I bend at the waist.

I have carried it IWB more effectively than the FRP. But I believe the Millie is optimized when used for rear-pocket carry.

I'l close by welcoming you to the boards...good folks here! Enjoy your stay... :) :spyder: :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Cody by all means get yourself a Millie. I edc mine every waking moment of each and every day and it rides comfortably in my right front jeans pocket. If for some reason you find it too big for a front pocket it rides equally well in a hip pocket and you never know it's there. I am likely biased towards the Millie as it is my personal knife of choice, but I've carried mine daily this way for a lot of years. Getting one from the Factory Seconds Sale would be a great way to give it a try. It is a lot of knife, but it carries well, especially in the G-10 versions. :) :spyder:
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I have 4 that I carry often, the military carries much better than most knives it's size, and better than some smaller knives due to it's flat profile. I always carry in right front pocket.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Very light and thin in pocket. Great blade shape. It is a can't miss for EDC. You will get funny looks from non knife people when you bust it out as it is large but who cares? They will ask you to borrow it when a cake needs cutting at a company party! You will not be sorry. Endura and Paramilitary 2 are both great and smaller
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a military in my EDC rotation and carry it clipped in my right front pocket. I don't even know that I'm carrying it. I also have 2 different Manix 2 XL's in my rotation and carry them frequently. I'm carrying one of the XL's right now and can't even feel that I'm carrying it but it is significantly taller than the military so when I am carrying it I have a harder time pulling my cellphone out of that pocket.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

All of the above...and you should have no problem finding one at the SFO Sale.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My most common work related EDC. I tend to carry something a little smaller and more gentlemanly when I'm out in blue jeans after work, Damascus Delica, CF Sage 3, fluted Ti-Native, etc. At work however, I do rotate between a number of different models but my CruWear Military is the most often carried, and given that I work 5 days a week and with long hours don't get to go out after work very often, it would make my CruWear Millie my most carried knife. If you don't have problems ECDing a PM2 you'll probably be fine.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

Thanks for the feedback guys, anyone wish it was tip up carry?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Cody_G93 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, anyone wish it was tip up carry?
I'm so used to carrying mine just the way it is I've never considered tip up. Interesting thought though........ :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you can carry one legally, there's little reason not to.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been carrying one or another of my Millie's in my right back pocket for seven or eight years now. No, I have never wished it was tip up. If it came tip up I would wish it was tip down, and make it so.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hey Cody!!
If you can find a Cruwear Millie.....GRAB IT!!! There one for sale right now on Blade Forums Exchange....MINT!!
Carry mine all the time....RFP. It's gorgeous, smoooooooth and cuts like an extremely angry demon!!
Joe
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

Is the military any thicker than the pm2?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

For EDC use or not, the Millie is a classic.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Millie is a wonderful knife.Very light and thin for its size,ergos are fantastic.On the down side,its tip down only and because its long it will uncomfortable to sit down with it in the front pocket.And you will raise a couple of sheeple eyebrows when you pull the knife out.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Birdman21

Post by Birdman21 »

I have a total of 4 Millies and 2 PM's and I absolutely love each of them. I usually have one or another on me as either an at home carry knife or a work knife. Everyone should have a Millie IMHO, just bcuz
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

For me a bit big for urban edc but great when outdoors, currently on a farm in Portugal and the Millie is usually in my pocket.
(great size-weight, just the size would scare too many people when carried/used in some urban areas)
(also carrying an ARK here 24/7 as a try out and a Pacific Salt SE as a main user)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Cody_G93 wrote:Is the military any thicker than the pm2?
No, it isn't. The carbon fiber versions are even lighter than the regular Para2.

When I got my first Military, I remember thinking "Man, this thing is huge!" when I first pulled it out of the box. Then I put it in my pocket and it seemed to vanish. I kept checking to make sure it was still there. The funny thing was, after carrying it and using it for a couple of weeks, it had shrunk to a normal size, and my Delica had turned into a keychain knife. :D
endgame

Post by endgame »

Its fine for edc a little overkill but fine.I just dont like linerlocks