Delica G-10 scales; recommendations please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Delica G-10 scales; recommendations please

Post by mad german »

Howdy folks. Longtime Spydie fan but new forum member. I've fallen in love with my Delica 4 all over again. I can't believe I've not been carrying this knife for a long time. I've had it in my hands for the last several days and for the life of me can't see what "lead me astray!"

I'd like to give her some freshening up and treat her to some new G-10 scales. I've seen some that I like at bladescales.com, but was wondering what other trusted vendors there are for getting some nice G-10 scales for her might be.

I'm not after anything too wild or out there looking, but wouldn't mind a bit of color. A nice pattern would be cool too, instead of just flat slabs of G-10.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Glad I'm here. Hope to help others along the way.

Cheers!
My collection is ever changing!
farnorthdan

Re: Delica G-10 scales; recommendations please

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, not a huge delica guy and have never bought after market scales, the only place that comes to mind is Wilkins out of Berlin.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

First of all, welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you here. :)
I am not that familia with the Delica, nor have I any experience with after market scales, but I am sure you will get lots of help here.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Welcome! I'll post my pics of my delica with anso style putman scales.

Wilkins
Cuscadi
Putman

Those are the three best I think. Nice thing about putmans work is you don't have to deal with international shipping.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hi Madgerman and welcome to the forum. By your nickname I'm guessing you might be in Germany so you should take a look at Kevin Wilkins' site and Cuscadi.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have Cuscadi G-10 on a ZDP Delica and I've been very happy with them.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have a look at some of the recommendations tonight. I'm thinking orange G-10 would look very cool. I'll have to search the pic forum and see what shows up.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MadGerman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

There is a guy named Boomer52 at USN and BF that makes really nice ones. He makes D4 and E4 scales that are shaped like Strider gunner grips.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thanks guys for everything. Change of plans; I'm going to get myself a knife I've been lusting after for a while. I'm taking the $ I was going to spend on the Delica scales and get myself a G-10 Dragonfly.

I know a lot of guys like big "man sized" knives, but to be honest with you, when I've carried knives that had blades that were bigger than 3.5", it was just too much knife in my pocket. I really prefer blades in the 2-3" range. They fit better in my pocket, are more easily carried in all of my pants (from Dockers to jeans) and they just feel better.

So a G-10 Dragonfly for me it is!
palonej

Post by palonej »

I like the way you think!!
Enjoy the new blade!!
Joe
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Mad German so crazy he comes looking for a delica and leaves with a dragonfly.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Not a bad end choice the Dragonfly ! ;)
He can take the Delica and other later :D

You can also add new scales to your G10 D-Fly ! :D
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

mad german wrote: I've fallen in love with my Delica 4 all over again. I can't believe I've not been carrying this knife for a long time. I've had it in my hands for the last several days and for the life of me can't see what "lead me astray!"

Well now we know what "lead you astray", haha! Other knife purchases!! :D

Congrats on your G10 Dragonfly, a great LBK, but I have a feeling you'll eventually be back around once again to your Delica. ;)

I have two styles of grips from Boomer52; regular Delica shape and also the larger "Strydica" shape. He is an easy guy to work with and his pricing was surprisingly fair. I threw out a pattern idea and he executed it perfectly, to the angle!
Also have a couple of sets of the Wilkins Grips in G10, but they are quite expensive.
Going back to Caly.
mad german

Post by mad german »

Update. I ended up taking some of the $ I had set aside for knives and ended up getting a FRN Dragonfly so I could put the rest of the $ towards my very first PM2.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

mad german wrote:Update. I ended up taking some of the $ I had set aside for knives and ended up getting a FRN Dragonfly so I could put the rest of the $ towards my very first PM2.
Oh man you're in for a treat, my first PM2 opened my eyes to folder perfection. Only down side is now I'm obsessed with the PM2 and can't get enough of sprints and exclusives.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

That G-10 Dragonfly is one of my favorite knives! I really like the dragonfly in general, and that G-10 version is in some ways 'too heavy' but that is why I like it. The lightweight version is awesome and probably my most used (The H1 serrated and ZDP models), but I carry the G-10 once in a while in a totally justified 'because I can' manner. you will really like that knife.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

mad german wrote:Update. I ended up taking some of the $ I had set aside for knives and ended up getting a FRN Dragonfly so I could put the rest of the $ towards my very first PM2.
Hi,

Absolutely the right way to go!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have the G10 DF and FRN versions. The G10 is my hands down favorite. It is in my pocket now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050