Question about Southard authenticity - pics added

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JAfromMN

Re: Question about Southward authenticity - pics added

Post by JAfromMN »

No you are not.

Id send it to spyderco.
swigert

Re: Question about Southard authenticity - pics added

Post by swigert »

Nope your not asking too much. If it doesn't satisfy you then return it. It's your money after all.

Can I suggest something? Order from another dealer. Many will inspect the knife before it gets sent out to make sure it's what you are looking for.

I'm a cutlery shoppe fan. Jeff or Bailey are always willing to open a box and check centering, even grind etc.

Maybe that would be a good option.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I just thought of this though. Funny it's a southard because that model is one of the handful out of many handfuls I have gotten from Amazon.

Amazon has always been good for me.
The Deacon

Re: Question about Southard authenticity

Post by The Deacon »

mikejr wrote:So I guess I'm being too nit picky, as each of these knives has a slightly different issue keeping it from being 'the one'...

So a brief description of the three:
  • #1 has a couple rather large lumps in the grind near the spydiehole, on both sides - hard to see in the pics maybe but obvious in hand
  • #2 has some fairly obvious grind lines, but more importantly the attitude of the blade has the tip very close to the edge of the handle - you can easily catch skin on it (the tip), plunge grind is asymmetrical as well but that doesn't bother me. Notice in the 3rd pic above the light visible under the lowest point of the blade.
  • #3 - tip appears to be bent, but it could just be the gring
Am I asking too much from a $200 knife?
Each of us has a level of expectations and are entitled to ask as much as we want from any purchase. However, in a manufactured product there's a difference between minor cosmetic imperfections and defects. At the least that means that some levels of expectation are best suited to purchasing from a brick and mortar store where it's possible to visually inspect an item prior to purchase. At worst, it means that even the best example of a product will never meet our expectations.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikejr

Post by mikejr »

The Deacon wrote:
mikejr wrote:So I guess I'm being too nit picky, as each of these knives has a slightly different issue keeping it from being 'the one'...

• #1 has a couple rather large lumps in the grind near the spydiehole, on both sides - hard to see in the pics maybe but obvious in hand
  • #2 has some fairly obvious grind lines, but more importantly the attitude of the blade has the tip very close to the edge of the handle - you can easily catch skin on it (the tip), plunge grind is asymmetrical as well but that doesn't bother me. Notice in the 3rd pic above the light visible under the lowest point of the blade.
Each of us has a level of expectations and are entitled to ask as much as we want from any purchase. However, in a manufactured product there's a difference between minor cosmetic imperfections and defects. At the least that means that some levels of expectation are best suited to purchasing from a brick and mortar store where it's possible to visually inspect an item prior to purchase. At worst, it means that even the best example of a product will never meet our expectations.
I agree, however there's a benchmark each of us has and when expectations fall below that we question 'value' for what we've paid. In my case, Amazon was able to adjust the ratio on their end and I feel like I've achieved appropriate value now. Love them or hate them, they do have excellent customer service.
swigert

Post by swigert »

mikejr wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I agree, however there's a benchmark each of us has and when expectations fall below that we question 'value' for what we've paid. In my case, Amazon was able to adjust the ratio on their end and I feel like I've achieved appropriate value now. Love them or hate them, they do have excellent customer service.
Want to share more details on what exactly Amazon did?
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

"I'm a cutlery shoppe fan. Jeff or Bailey are always willing to open a box and check centering, even grind etc."

This is the solution to your problem. Jeff'll treat ya right.

Tod
swigert

Post by swigert »

tr4022 wrote:"I'm a cutlery shoppe fan. Jeff or Bailey are always willing to open a box and check centering, even grind etc."

This is the solution to your problem. Jeff'll treat ya right.

Tod
I've had Knife Works do the same. There are so many great dealers. Here's how I look it. Order from them 90-95%of the time and for that one screamin deal every once in a while order from Amazon and on the small chance you get a fake or not great finished quality just take advantage of their amazing return policy. And always order direct from Amazon not 3rd party.

But for me, like I said above. All my Amazon knives have been flawless.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I've had pretty good luck with Amazon, too. However, I did by a serrated Police 3 that I think was a counterfeit because it was impossible to open or close one-handed. I sent it back for a refund.
mikejr

Post by mikejr »

swigert wrote:Want to share more details on what exactly Amazon did?
They discounted the price to a point where I felt good about the purchase.

Had this happened at a smaller online specialty retailer, I'm sure it would have worked out in a similar manner, or perhaps they'd have inspected the product before sending it out (but isn't this Spyderco's job?).

And to be fair, I normally purchase knives from an online knife retailer (a place where cutlery ships free you might say), they just don't carry Spyderco and I was making some other unrelated purchases on Amazon.

Lesson learned.
Donut

Post by Donut »

In the past I received an entirely different item (that cost me $20-ish) from an Amazon reseller that had a defect. The reseller was able to issue a 40% refund without a return.

In my opinion, minor cosmetic differences that do not affect the function of the knife aren't very serious. Keep in mind, you are getting a hand made product. It isn't a machine that grinds these blades. It is a person with the aide of a machine that grinds them with his hands.

I know if I produced 1,000 of these knives with my hands, there is no way I could produce them to all look identical if you picked two and put them next to each other. There will be differences, there will be minor flaws.

I think your question might actually be: Do I want to pay $200 for a knife that is produced entirely by a machine that is identical looking to every other version, or do I want to pay $200 for a knife that is produced by people so that they make sure it is functioning before it gets to you.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mikejr

Post by mikejr »

Donut wrote:I think your question might actually be: Do I want to pay $200 for a knife that is produced entirely by a machine that is identical looking to every other version, or do I want to pay $200 for a knife that is produced by people so that they make sure it is functioning before it gets to you.
That's not my question at all, of all of the Spydercos I've owned and currently own these were singular in exhibiting grind issues and so my expectations are those set by these others knives.

The purpose of this post was to look for some anecdotal evidence that other Southard owners had similar issues or even the glossy blade finish. I can live with cosmetic blemishes if I know a product is genuine, and the issue is consistent with the model or type.

I do appreciate everyone's comments.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

So did you ever find out if the three were genuine or not? Or at least the one you kept?
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

swigert wrote:Nope your not asking too much. If it doesn't satisfy you then return it. It's your money after all.

Can I suggest something? Order from another dealer. Many will inspect the knife before it gets sent out to make sure it's what you are looking for.

I'm a cutlery shoppe fan. Jeff or Bailey are always willing to open a box and check centering, even grind etc.

Maybe that would be a good option.

This. Cutlery Shoppe has always been good to me. I know there are other great dealers, too.

Tod
palonej

Post by palonej »

Hate when OPs just disappear without resolution.
Curious what the end result was here.