HAP40 Delica and Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: HAP40 Delica and Endura

Post by shunsui »

Here's a small group of Enduras on the scanner.
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Hap40 and CPM M4 are similar except for one glaring difference: Cobalt..8.5% in Hap 40, none in CPM M4.

Cobalt: Increases hardness, also allows for higher quenching temperatures (during the heat treatment procedure). Intensifies the individual effects of other elements in more complex steels. Cobalt is not a carbide former, however adding Cobalt to the alloy allows for higher attainable hardness and higher red hot hardness.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Bile Bob wrote:Hap40 and CPM M4 are similar except for one glaring difference: Cobalt..8.5% in Hap 40, none in CPM M4.

Cobalt: Increases hardness, also allows for higher quenching temperatures (during the heat treatment procedure). Intensifies the individual effects of other elements in more complex steels. Cobalt is not a carbide former, however adding Cobalt to the alloy allows for higher attainable hardness and higher red hot hardness.

How will this translate to the user if a direct comparison is made to M4?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:I don't see why these keep getting compared to Super Blue? I don't think they will be as effected as SB...

...and try giving one a coffee dip! I did that with a GB and it gave a nice shaded patina.
Interesting. Coffee forces a patina? I've never heard of that trick. Pictures?

Yeah, well in theory anything acidic can draw a patina.
It just gave my GB a darker tint, nothing extreme, but I didn't soak it for days. Just look at the teeth of an old habitual coffee/tea drinker. My GB's patina is less than that, lol.
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

shunsui wrote:Here's a small group of Enduras on the scanner.
These are almost (my ZDP BRG is FFG) exactly the same Enduras I have now that my HAP40 came. You must be a man of good taste and discretion ;) I'll try to post a pic of mine tomorrow.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Someone please post in this thread if they see a Hap40 Endura in stock at a dealer.

I have New Graham, Grand Prarie, Cutlery Shoppe, Knifeworks, Top Quality, and Knife Outlet open on my phone and am refreshing every so often, but you guys seem to almost always find stuff before I do.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Call Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia, AL and ask for Randy Yerkas. Tell him Jeremy sent you and you might get a hook up! They have a few
swigert

Post by swigert »

I got lucky at CS. They must have only had a couple. No photos or details up, just a name and the price was where it should so I grabbed it and it shipped yesterday.

Sometimes you just get lucky.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

swigert wrote:I got lucky at CS. They must have only had a couple. No photos or details up, just a name and the price was where it should so I grabbed it and it shipped yesterday.

CS has had them up for more than a week. They're more expensive (slightly) than other places, though.
swigert

Post by swigert »

captnvegtble wrote:
swigert wrote:I got lucky at CS. They must have only had a couple. No photos or details up, just a name and the price was where it should so I grabbed it and it shipped yesterday.

CS has had them up for more than a week. They're more expensive (slightly) than other places, though.
Aren't they out of stock now though?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

twinboysdad wrote:Call Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia, AL and ask for Randy Yerkas. Tell him Jeremy sent you and you might get a hook up! They have a few
+1
Mark's is amazing. I just got a new job in Vestavia and one of the things I like most about it is that I am so close to Mark's and I can wander over there on lunch.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dplafoll wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Call Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia, AL and ask for Randy Yerkas. Tell him Jeremy sent you and you might get a hook up! They have a few
+1
Mark's is amazing. I just got a new job in Vestavia and one of the things I like most about it is that I am so close to Mark's and I can wander over there on lunch.
Mark's is 50 miles away from me, but I made my biggest single knife purchase ever over there a couple of weeks ago, a blue fluted Ti Millie :D They have an amazing variety of Spydies for a general outdoor sports store. Jeremy, I can't remember now if you originally tipped me off about the place or if I stumbled onto it myself. They have some nice diso'ed knives too, at reasonable prices, like a Superleaf and a Nishijin R, and several others. Joe in the Knife dept. is good to deal with, too, as is everybody there.

As for Knife Center, I received my preordered HAP40 Endura from them yesterday, but don't know what they have in stock now.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
animportant

Post by animportant »

DougC-3 wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
+1
Mark's is 50 miles away from me, but I made my biggest single knife purchase ever over there a couple of weeks ago, a blue fluted Ti Millie :D They have an amazing variety of Spydies for a general outdoor sports store. Jeremy, I can't remember now if you originally tipped me off about the place or if I stumbled onto it myself. They have some nice diso'ed knives too, at reasonable prices, like a Superleaf and a Nishijin R, and several others. Joe in the Knife dept. is good to deal with, too, as is everybody there.

As for Knife Center, I received my preordered HAP40 Endura from them yesterday, but don't know what they have in stock now.
Hey Doug, did kc send you a shipping email prior to sending it? I preordered months ago, fingers crossed its at my door today. Should be arriving with a purple dragonfly too :)
mattman

Post by mattman »

This was just the first "wave" of the run, right? I hope more are coming...
Donut

Post by Donut »

mattman wrote:This was just the first "wave" of the run, right? I hope more are coming...
Yeah, in general the Seki marked Japan models come in groups of ~100 so we get several waves of them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
swigert

Post by swigert »

From past experience there are definitely more inbound. I'm surprised about the lack of pics still. When mine gets here today I'll get some pics.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm still waiting on my knifeworks preorder... emailed them a couple of days ago mentioning I've seen others receive their preorder, but they ran out apparently, and their email specified they don't yet have an ETA on the next batch.
Glad I'm not impatient nor in a big hurry.
...now if I were waiting on the HAP40 Delica or Stretch, that may become a different story, haha! :D
Going back to Caly.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Donut wrote:
mattman wrote:This was just the first "wave" of the run, right? I hope more are coming...
Yeah, in general the Seki marked Japan models come in groups of ~100 so we get several waves of them.
Thanks.
That's what I recall from the SB run, as well... just having a little anxiety.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I saw and handled a Hap40 E4 and it was dynamite, I am going to get a Delica though as my tastes have moved smaller
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Just letting people know that KnifeCenter has hap40 Delica up for pre order. May not mean much as I'm still waiting for my Endura I pre ordered in August! Argg