Complete change of mind on frn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

Complete change of mind on frn

Post by endgame »

I have handled allot of the new multifunctional frn with nestled liners and completly change my mind.they are up to and some above par with g10 with the tight fit.im only saying this with frn and nestled liners.no liners and they are crap to me .but the ones with liners are above par and very dependable
tangent

Re: Complete change of mind on frn

Post by tangent »

Ok....

All depends on what you're using the knife for. The FRN in the Native 5 is actually quite robust and it has no liners.

Different strokes...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

While I am not comfortable with the linerless FRN because of flex, it is plenty strong. Surfgringo uses his Salts very hard and has had no issues. I prefer the liners for my own reasons, but strength is not one of the reasons I would avoid the linerless FRN. I really like FRN after having come around to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find FRN superior to FRCP. It's not as rigid but bounces back from impact better. Frcp tends to chip but it's more rigid. I like it either way as one of my must used knives is without liners and I've had no issues with it.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I heard of broken blades under extreme conditions, but I never heard of their FRN handles to fail. For me, FRN is a great material and surely has its optimal place for certain knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

FRN is my hero. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I have also begun to love the bi directional FRN pattern in my hands
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

If it weren't for FRN, I'd probably never EDC a knife.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

In all honesty I prefer the feel and properties of FRN over G10 but the looks aren't on par with "quality" G10. I'll take CF over either all day.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My first Spyderco was in FRN, so naturally I've been a big fan of the material for quite some time. :) If I had my wish, I'd love to see a rebirth of the "fish scale" FRN pattern from the Calypso JR series...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:My first Spyderco was in FRN, so naturally I've been a big fan of the material for quite some time. :) If I had my wish, I'd love to see a rebirth of the "fish scale" FRN pattern from the Calypso JR series...
Yes on the caly jr fish scale pattern!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually prefer the Bi-Di texturing. Different strokes for different folks, as we used to say. I suddenly feel the need for a new Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

FRN rocks with or without liners, personally prefer without.
Definitely YES on fish scale FRN, on any Calypso (or anything else..)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Bi-directional for a more heavy use knife (Like my Manix2 LW for work), and fish scale on a more gentlemanly/non-work carry knife would be my preference. When the FRN Chaparral eventually gets made I'm dearly hoping that it has the fish scale texture.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
tangent

Post by tangent »

this_is_nascar wrote:If it weren't for FRN, I'd probably never EDC a knife.
^^^ This ^^^
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

FRN is some tough stuff. FWIW, I prefer linerless frn in a large knife like the Pacific Salt. The action is actually smoother with no bushings and I find them less prone to have any side to side blade play. I will admit that in the smaller knives like the dragonfly and salt 1, I can notice a tiny bit of flex at times. It is not something that affects performance but I prefer the rigidity of the larger (thicker) pacific salt. As far as the Native, I very much like the linerless frn model. The frn is plenty rigid and strong and the lockup on that knife is tighter and more solid than any lock back I have ever owned.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:My first Spyderco was in FRN, so naturally I've been a big fan of the material for quite some time. :) If I had my wish, I'd love to see a rebirth of the "fish scale" FRN pattern from the Calypso JR series...
Yes on the caly jr fish scale pattern!
I agree with you all concerrning FRN used in the Caly Jr models. I still love my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr and the FRN handle is great on that model. However there are some models that they did in FRN that I truly wish they would have done with G-10 instead. One model that I'm referring to is the Spyderhawk. As hard as I use my two Spyderhawk models I would have more confidence in the Spyderhawk if it had a more ridgid handle.

For your standard folders like the Endura and Delica along with the Caly Jr and a couple of others I could mention I find FRN quite adequate and ideal in some respects. But for a folder that I use for extremely hard cutting jobs I just like G-10 better because of it's ridgidity and ease of maintenance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I rather like linerless FRN. I like the simplicity of it. If you just accept that it's gonna flex a bit, you get over things like moderate blade play real quick. I think they're plenty safe even under reasonable abuse. If knives like the Pacific Salt were redone with liners, I'd sort of lose interest. Weird huh?
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I like Spyderco´s FRN, the models with liners seem very well balanced, I just can´t stand the holes in them, seem to attract lint and dirt. For continuous use/EDC I prefer lnerless folders, would love some full liner ones, though. As I don´t have any except the D´Allara Rescue which is just a bit too wide in the pocket for EDC I prefer linerless G10 models as the UKPK.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Knife newbs always play off the "plastic"... but once you use it, you find out these knives are For Real Now.
Going back to Caly.