Numbered spyderco price gaugers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Re: Numbered spyderco price gaugers

Post by Pinetreebbs »

To the OP, what if you just mind your own business? I'm not calling you out, venting on issues that bother you is fine, but what someone does with something they paid for and own is their business. The price for which they sell their property is the business the seller and the buyer. If the you don't like it, don't buy their knife, it's just that simple. If you think the prices people charge for Spyderco knives are too high, buy them all and sell them for less.

We are already seeing much higher MSRPs on Spyderco knives that more closely represent real market values. I have no doubt that all the complaining about "price gougers" and "flippers" had a large part in that change. Now, all of us pay more for excellent Spyderco knives and perhaps there is less margin for flippers to make money. All the complainers should be ecstatic.

FWIW: I'm not a CC member and I have yet to sell any of my Spyderco knives, just a few trades and a lot of gifting.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Archimedes wrote:If you bought it and you own it you can do what ever you want with it. You can ask and sell it for what ever you feel like and if someone buys it good for you. I have always liked making money on knives. I have no problem with making money on knives. That is what makes collecting fun. If you get a great deal it is exciting. If your knife goes up in value it is fun. If your knife becomes worthless it is not so fun..LOL!

Just like any market involving collectables people will try to make money. If I could only predict what knife is going to be valuable in the future I would be investing in them. I have seen outrages financial growth on some knives over the years. Better than the stock market, Gold or even Real estate. Still I just buy what I fancy and sometimes get lucky.
Exactly
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

OP, you do realize that you started a thread with a negative tone, so it's not a huge surprise that it has continued to be negative. I'd also wager that, seeing as how you're an active forum member, you're quite aware of how threads about selling knives for profit has been a cause of contention in the past. So I'm not sure why it would be expected that this thread would take a course different than the dozen others covering more or less the same subject, most of which devolved into the mess we have here.

That said, there seems to be a very negative view of people who collect knives, with derogatory remarks about "pocket jewelry" and insinuation that users are somehow superior to collectors (seen this come up in tons of threads). I think that both collectors and users are important to keeping a company like Spyderco thriving. If all I had were knives that I use a lot, then I'd only have four or five Spydercos instead of nearly 100, as I don't cut enough to get heavy use out of more than a couple knives. So by "collecting", I've given Spyderco about 20x more money than my needs demand. At the same time, if people only collected and nobody used the knives, then Spyderco wouldn't sell nearly as many knives either.

I think there's room for both the collectors and the users here. In fact, many of us are probably some sort of hybrid between the two, collecting more knives than we have a practical use for, but also putting those knives to use (even if it's just a limited amount). I admit to having some "pocket jewelry" that I bought just because the knives look fantastic (stepped Ti Chaparral, all three fluted Ti Military versions, stacked wood Kopa, etc) and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I've also bought knives and later sold them for a profit. :eek: If someone thinks that makes me a terrible person, well, so be it. If turning a profit on an occasional knife sale is the worst of my foibles (it's not ;)), then I'd say I'm doing pretty good in life.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

jabba359 wrote:OP, you do realize that you started a thread with a negative tone, so it's not a huge surprise that it has continued to be negative. I'd also wager that, seeing as how you're an active forum member, you're quite aware of how threads about selling knives for profit has been a cause of contention in the past. So I'm not sure why it would be expected that this thread would take a course different than the dozen others covering more or less the same subject, most of which devolved into the mess we have here.

That said, there seems to be a very negative view of people who collect knives, with derogatory remarks about "pocket jewelry" and insinuation that users are somehow superior to collectors (seen this come up in tons of threads). I think that both collectors and users are important to keeping a company like Spyderco thriving. If all I had were knives that I use a lot, then I'd only have four or five Spydercos instead of nearly 100, as I don't cut enough to get heavy use out of more than a couple knives. So by "collecting", I've given Spyderco about 20x more money than my needs demand. At the same time, if people only collected and nobody used the knives, then Spyderco wouldn't sell nearly as many knives either.

I think there's room for both the collectors and the users here. In fact, many of us are probably some sort of hybrid between the two, collecting more knives than we have a practical use for, but also putting those knives to use (even if it's just a limited amount). I admit to having some "pocket jewelry" that I bought just because the knives look fantastic (stepped Ti Chaparral, all three fluted Ti Military versions, stacked wood Kopa, etc) and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I've also bought knives and later sold them for a profit. :eek: If someone thinks that makes me a terrible person, well, so be it. If turning a profit on an occasional knife sale is the worst of my foibles (it's not ;)), then I'd say I'm doing pretty good in life.
As a Spyderco user and collector I could not agree more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Unsubscribing.
Going back to Caly.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:Personally, the numbered versions are worth far less to me, and I'm not even a collector. I don't want some random meaningless number etched into my blade, not even for a user.
This.

You'll be happy to know I got a numbered zdp delica stone washing as I'm typing this.

I'm Modding the crap out of it.

Stupid numbers

dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

jabba359 wrote:OP, you do realize that you started a thread with a negative tone, so it's not a huge surprise that it has continued to be negative. I'd also wager that, seeing as how you're an active forum member, you're quite aware of how threads about selling knives for profit has been a cause of contention in the past. So I'm not sure why it would be expected that this thread would take a course different than the dozen others covering more or less the same subject, most of which devolved into the mess we have here.

Well said. Like you, I am both a collector and user but I have more safe queens than users. When I do sell a knife I bet 75% of the time it's for a loss but the ones that sit in my drawer doing nothing are knives I hope to sell for a profit someday. There is nothing wrong with selling for a profit and I would like to think what most people don't like about flippers is the idea that it's someone with an above average amount of disposable income that buys up a quantity of knives with no reason other than to flip and make money on them. Nobody (should) care if the average user/collector buys a knife they like, or two, one to use and one to save, and is able to sell for a profit in the future.

If you can afford to be in the CC, even if you have to sell 8/10 knives, then that's awesome but if you're a company or someone with a lot of money that looks at the CC strictly as a way to make money then shame on you.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

Thank you for the insight from the collectors. I don't have the desire to collect knives but, I'm glad that there are people who keep the business thriving. And anyway, I still buy knives that I don't really need, how different is that from having a collection of, as they say, pocket jewelry? As for selling an item at a profit, it's exploitation when the buyer is compelled to make the purchase.