Mule Team 21

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ruarch

Mule Team 21

Post by Ruarch »

So I couldn't resist and ordered a MT-21 today. I did some digging on the interwebz and I am having a hard time finding a selection of scales and more importantly sheathes. I saw the Halpern scales and I would be happy with a set of them but I was wondering if there are more out there I am not aware of? Are there any sheathes out there?

I know there are some out there that get mules and hand make their own scales and sheathes and make them truly a personal knife. I think that is very very cool, but I don't have the means to do that. I just want to strap it to my pack and thump on the knife out in the sticks.

Thanks for your help! What are you all doing with your mules?
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Commendatore

Re: Mule Team 21

Post by Commendatore »

The Mule Team shape is the best all-purpose knife design I own, be it food prep or gutting/skinning deer.

Actually the first Mule Team blade I got was just to have this design! Edge all the way to the handle, pointy tip, just a slight curve instead of the, for me, useless belly typical drop point hunting knives have-perfect!
Great handle shape, some compared it to the Stretch, and multi-purpose blade, like the Tenacious´. Combined with a set of Halpern 3-D scales and a DIY Kydex sheath and a G-clip it represents the best FB EDC I can possibly imagine. Plus there´s so many decent steels. Thank you Spyderco for this great series of blades and the chance to compare various steels in a single design!!
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Not really impressed with the Halpern scales. I got 2 sets of the #5's flat scales and they fit just ok. There is a portion of the spine that is proud of the scales, but the underbelly is pretty good. I heard the 3d contoured scales fit even worse. Next time I will either try my hand at scales or find a custom guy to fit.

As far a sheaths - I don't plan to carry, but I'm sure their are kydex benders that can help you out. Try Blade Forums dot com!!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

There is a bit of variance on the Mules. I made a set of scales that fit perfectly flush on one Mule, but when I swapped them over to a different Mule, there were small sections of the Mule that were proud of the scales, just a tiny bit, but not perfect. I think you'll run into that with any mass produced Mule scales, as small production variances between makers will result in slightly different fitment since the scales aren't finished to the individual knife.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

The Halpern scales are designed to allow the tang to show all the way around. Not everyone's cup of tea, but affordable and effective.

In terms of sheaths, you can order the leather temperance 2 sheath from Spyderco or Sheathpro does a lot of mule sheaths.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

If you want a true one of a kind mule them contact a local knife maker. You could probably get a very nice set of scales made and installed for around $100. If you want a custom leather sheath I have a friend that has made a few for the mule including one of mine and I think he's doing one for a member here right now.
I have my second mule (xhp) getting custom CF scales done with toxic green accents and flared tube construction with matching sheath from Screech Owl Knives and it's not outrageously expensive either.

I still say try your hand at making a set though, you can do it very cheap and with basic tools (drill, dremel and sandpaper) and a little patience it's not all that difficult to do. I made a set out of maple I plan on putting on a future mule as a gift and have some Rosewood Burl I'm going to use on a future mule I'm waiting to be made.

The halpern scales are a good value and work just fine but I didn't like mine mainly just because I wanted a more custom feel to mine since they are hunting knives and will be something my son will get to use/own eventually. I can't say that about my folders.

4V is an interesting steel and I think it's a good one to try in a mule. I'd like to get one but I want to hear some real use experience with how easily it stains/corrodes, you'll have to let us know what you think or it!
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've used my XHP a good amount without scales, but long periods of use can cause blisters. I have the flat-sided scales that are good enough for a utility knife. I've made wood scales for quite a few knife blanks and I have some nice wood waiting to be put on 2 of my Mules.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

So I tried contacting Sheathpro and they haven't gotten back to me for a couple days now. Any other sheath makers out there? Looking for a Kydex or similar material that can go either traditional or scout carry.

Btw, I got my MT-21 today and I LOVE it. Processes wood like a beast! I am hearing that even though it isn't stainless it is pretty stain resistant so it might go with me in the woods. (hence I need a sheath and I don't want leather for a couple reasons)
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Used my MT21 at dinner last night, which included honey mustard and chicken. It took a very nice patina very quickly. Mostly just darkened the steel (more grayish). Seemed to patina somewhat more readily than my K390 Mule.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

kjd2121 wrote:Not really impressed with the Halpern scales. I got 2 sets of the #5's flat scales and they fit just ok. There is a portion of the spine that is proud of the scales, but the underbelly is pretty good. I heard the 3d contoured scales fit even worse. Next time I will either try my hand at scales or find a custom guy to fit.

As far a sheaths - I don't plan to carry, but I'm sure their are kydex benders that can help you out. Try Blade Forums dot com!!
I got a set of 3D and flat scales from Halpern, never used the flat scales yet...but the 3D do leave a lot of exposed steel on the handle. Not a huge fan of that.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I wrote this because of these kinds if threads. Hope it helps

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68953&p=1047000#p1047000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Niles

Post by Niles »

I'm making some dovetailed bolsters and scales for my 4v mule right now, and recording the process. Hopefully by the end I'll have a video tutorial to share. If so, I'll post the link here.

Handles are not tough and it's cool to have made your own.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Why dont you just use paracord.this make the mule a great survival knive .you can get a real comfortable good looking scale from the paracord pluss you can use the paracord for something else.call baddog burl get them to fit you a set.
Stainyes

Post by Stainyes »

*New member here*
I've been a knife user all my life and just recently been bitten by the Spyder.
I received my MT21 yesterday and just wrapped the handle with leather for the time being.
I also made a "pocket" sheath for it, which I will attach with a lanyard to my belt so when the knife is drawn out of the pocket, the sheath pops off.
I will cover the sheath in either Cordura or leather.
I will make some white or gray linen Micarta scales for this beaut later.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25 ... EF64D1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff25 ... 8B722C.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stay Keen
~Dane~
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Interesting sheath idea Stainyes, and welcome to the forum.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

My mule 21 came in the mail today, not sure what I'll do for scales yet. I have some stabilized buckeye burl I think im going to try on this one but I would love a nice, contoured micarta handle too.
Cory

gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Stainyes wrote:I also made a "pocket" sheath for it, which I will attach with a lanyard to my belt so when the knife is drawn out of the pocket, the sheath pops off.
Nice. If you can make a pocket sheath like that, you can do better with the paracord wrap, too. Here are some ideas ...
http://paracordprojectsguide.com/10-coo ... dle-wraps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/kno ... cord-wrap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gordon
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Would the new 4V mule be an okay choice for a paracord or leather wrap though not being stainless? With pinned or screwed on scales you can oil the tang to prevent corrosion before putting the scales on but if the paracord got wet at all it would hold moisture pretty well I'd imangine and cause rust or is that not a valid concern?
Cory

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

dubya3 wrote:Would the new 4V mule be an okay choice for a paracord or leather wrap though not being stainless? With pinned or screwed on scales you can oil the tang to prevent corrosion before putting the scales on but if the paracord got wet at all it would hold moisture pretty well I'd imangine and cause rust or is that not a valid concern?
That's absolutely a valid concern (and likely outcome)! You could unwrap it after heavy use to wipe it down. A pain I know but less frustrating than having major pitting or rust issues...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

dubya3 wrote:Would the new 4V mule be an okay choice for a paracord or leather wrap though not being stainless? With pinned or screwed on scales you can oil the tang to prevent corrosion before putting the scales on but if the paracord got wet at all it would hold moisture pretty well I'd imangine and cause rust or is that not a valid concern?
You could also do a two-layer wrap with the inner layer being a flat cord soaked in epoxy. Black looks nice under red cord.

Gordon