I think it's time for something a little bigger!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bornagainprimative

I think it's time for something a little bigger!

Post by bornagainprimative »

I have an itch for a endura or maybe even a military or k2
JD Spydo

Re: I think it's time for something a little bigger!

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll make my advice direct and to the point>> IN the past 3 months I snagged an M390 version of the C-36 Military model. I've been awestruck with the excellent blade steel and the overall dependability of that blade. It's even temporarily put aside my beloved C-60 Ayoob model if you can believe that. It's not too often I get a new knife that blows away many of my old time favorites but that M390 Military is by far the very best Military model I've owned up till now.

Also if you could find one of the Sprint G-10 Ayoob models you would love it I can assure you. Nothing at all wrong with an Endura>> I always loved my full Spyderedged VG-10 model and my VG-10 combo edged Endura as well. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide upon.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I like my Endura and Military very much! I've been carrying a Military for the last month or so, and I have trouble rotating it out. It is lightweight, carries well, and fills my hands excellently.

The Endura isn't half bad either. It is lightweight, carries well, and has a thinner blade stock. Both meet my preferences for not too much belly in the blade.

I prefer the ergos of the Military, but at the Enduras price - and given its legendary status - it is hard not to buy one to try out. Also, the variety of Endura Sprints make it a desirable model.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Police or Ulize maybe? I've been eyeballing one of those two recently.

Or Tatanka? A little cartoonist for me, though...

Can never go wrong with a Millie.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Endura has never really done it for me, the only one I have is a SB and that's only to keep my SB collection complete. Do you already have a Paramilitary 2? If not its definately worth a try, probably one of spyderco's best selling blades, and for good reason. The military is also a fantastic piece, it's a bit long but once you carry one for a while they really start growing on you. Another one to check out is the stretch, still some SB's around as well.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Military all the way. There's some nice exclusives on the horizon (204P, S90V) and Sal has promised us some in nice steels (S110V, 52100) as well :).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I do have two paras sprints (one of which I am looking to sell) to finance a new knife or two. Had a delica which o also liked a lot but gave that away to my best bud who was knife less

I am looking for a longer blade to edc(not that I don't love my para) I am thinking either a military or an endura (or two)I don't really like the looks of the police lol)

Anyone of pics of a para next to a military and an endura for size reference?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Had to find some that matched ;) Threw in a PM1 for good measure!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

bornagainprimative wrote:I do have two paras sprints (one of which I am looking to sell) to finance a new knife or two. Had a delica which o also liked a lot but gave that away to my best bud who was knife less

I am looking for a longer blade to edc(not that I don't love my para) I am thinking either a military or an endura (or two)I don't really like the looks of the police lol)

Anyone of pics of a para next to a military and an endura for size reference?

Police is somewhat like a larger Endura with a choil.
Another you might consider is the Calypso (not Caly), but they are more difficult to find.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Two words: Slysz Bowie.Buy one today and thank me later. ;) :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

SpyderNut wrote:Two words: Slysz Bowie.Buy one today and thank me later. ;) :D :D

I wouldn't really consider that "time for something bigger"... unless your typical carry is a Dragonfly or something.
Going back to Caly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpeedHoles wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Two words: Slysz Bowie.Buy one today and thank me later. ;) :D :D

I wouldn't really consider that "time for something bigger"... unless your typical carry is a Dragonfly or something.
I see your point (especially when other options include the Millie, Police, Endura, etc.). It's just that the Bowie is such a phenomenal mid-sized model for most folks.

Anyway, how did you know I EDC a D'fly2? :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

SpyderNut wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:

I see your point (especially when other options include the Millie, Police, Endura, etc.). It's just that the Bowie is such a phenomenal mid-sized model for most folks.

Anyway, how did you know I EDC a D'fly2? :D

Haha, d'fly is always a solid choice, so I just threw it out there. I often carry one in Super Blue as well, but usually also have another knife on me.
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bornagainprimative wrote:I have an itch for a endura or maybe even a military or k2
Military is a classic Spydie- it's a big blade but very flat in the pocket and rock solid. Solid range of steel choices and finishes too, but everyone's a winner in my book. The standard S30c/G10 model will do everything you could ever need.

The K2 is bigger still and very heavily built- I love mine but it fills a pocket that's for sure. The titanium handle is liable to cause a bit of envy too.

Take a look at the Szabo folder if your feeling you need something swish with it- it's a more 'ponderous' opener with the closing mech, but the swoopy bladeshape and the funky carbon fibre laminate are something you could sit staring at all day.

Also, consider the Police- the 3 for one, but my preference is for the 'classic' all stainless/all serrated model- it's one of the range that simply defines what Spyderco are all about....And boy, does it cut.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

JD Spydo wrote:I'll make my advice direct and to the point>> IN the past 3 months I snagged an M390 version of the C-36 Military model. I've been awestruck with the excellent blade steel and the overall dependability of that blade. It's even temporarily put aside my beloved C-60 Ayoob model if you can believe that. It's not too often I get a new knife that blows away many of my old time favorites but that M390 Military is by far the very best Military model I've owned up till now.

Also if you could find one of the Sprint G-10 Ayoob models you would love it I can assure you. Nothing at all wrong with an Endura>> I always loved my full Spyderedged VG-10 model and my VG-10 combo edged Endura as well. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide upon.

+1 on a military, especially in one of the premium steels. I recently bought a pristine CF S90V piece and I can't find a single part of the design I don't like, other than the tip down clip. I even went and bought a SE Millie to replace my manix s110v for my work knife I like it so much and anyone that has talked to me knows I love my manix's.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

"I think it's time for something a little bigger!"

That's what she said.

Just saying what you all were thinking!

To the OP:
Of the choices you listed, if you are looking for strictly EDCing I would go with the Millie.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Looks like Paul has the picture covered but here's a millie and Para anyway. Very similar other than size, I think if you like the Para you'd like the millie.

Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bigger??? Tatanka!!!

The Endura and Military are very much different- different handle material and different lock primarily, slightly different size and weight. I had an Endura briefly (until my daughter made off with it). It impressed me as a light and trim knife for something with that much blade, but it wasn't my type because I like G10 and one-hand locks. I like the Military but it is a bit big for some people. Yes the handle is pretty long but overall the knife is still relatively trim and light for its size.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

If you want bigger, one handed operation, light weight and thinness for its size there is only one answer.

And your welcome.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Try the vollotton just a awesome knife build quality it insane