I feel sorry for the Dyad...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: I feel sorry for the Dyad...

Post by Surfingringo »

As far as two bladed knives go, I would rather see them explore more designs like the Tusk. Man, that little knife manages to have amazing ergonomics with either blade deployed. It's a pretty smart design!
Donut

Post by Donut »

We'll just have Brad Southard design a flipper Dyad. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've said for years that I personally would love a Hawkbill Dyad>> that to me would really jazz up the old C-44 model and could also be a great addition to the H-1 Salt Series or they could make it with the same blade steel as what they use on the TUSK model.

I also like SURF's idea of exploring other types and designs of double bladed folders>>and I do agree that the TUSK model would be a great place to start IMO.

But I still have a lot of love for the original C-44 Dyad and the Micarta version of the Dyad Junior is a super classic Spyder as well.

Or even a Dyad type model with the serrated blade being a Hawkbill and the PE blade being similar to maybe a Para 2 or even a Yojimbo 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD wouldn't a hawkbill Dyad really suck to use if the hawkbill blade was closed? Imagine how much blade would be sticking out from the handle right in the way of your grip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:JD wouldn't a hawkbill Dyad really suck to use if the hawkbill blade was closed? Imagine how much blade would be sticking out from the handle right in the way of your grip.
Good Point ;) However what I was thinking was a Hawkbill Dyad with blades in radii and degrees similar to what was on the SUPERHAWK model. You could have one PE and one Spyderedged>> and if you took SURF's idea of a double bladed folder built around a frame similar to the TUSK model might even work better yet.

Oh yeah there is going to have to be some process of elimination for sure to get the design right. It probably wouldn't work all that well if it were a double bladed Hawkbill with the same radii and degrees that the Harpy has for instance.

But I'm not about to give up on the concept of it because with the type of work I've been doing for the past 10 years or so a full plain edged blade accompanied by a full Spyderedged blade sure makes my life a lot easier.

One other idea you could entertain would be to build it on an inverted handle/frame>> I do welcome anyone else's suggestion though.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Spyderhawk is very uncomfortable in the closed position. Not at all ergonomic. I recently bought an old micarta dyad. I admit it wasn't purchased for use though just felt i needed one and the price was less than the G10 sprint. Micarta is one of my favorite handle materials too. I think the tusk is a step in the right direction but a little on the small side in my opinion. I really think you could possibly put a thin slender hawkbill in where the mariner spike is. Spyderhawk should be brought back for sure though.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:JD wouldn't a hawkbill Dyad really suck to use if the hawkbill blade was closed? Imagine how much blade would be sticking out from the handle right in the way of your grip.
Probably, and thats one of the main reasons I brought up the Tusk. One of my first thoughts when I received mine (and looked at the marlin spike that I will never use) was, "man, that marlin spike is shaped a lot like a hawkbill blade!". I think that design would be an logical format in which to incorporate a pe blade and a se hawkbill.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Probably, and thats one of the main reasons I brought up the Tusk. One of my first thoughts when I received mine (and looked at the marlin spike that I will never use) was, "man, that marlin spike is shaped a lot like a hawkbill blade!". I think that design would be an logical format in which to incorporate a pe blade and a se hawkbill.
Not only would it be a better framework to accomodate two different style blades but it would also give the maker a lot of options as to what type of PE blade you could use to accompany a decent Spyderedged Hawkbill blade. Like I said earlier I dearly love the concept of a premium, double bladed, full sized folder because I surely would embrace it as an ideal EDC for a typical work day.

Also it's possible you could still have the marlinspike too if done right.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think Spyderco's appeal was countercultural to the standard pocket knife. Thin, one handed, clipped, etc.

The Dyad was always appealing to me on paper but the idea of having two blades just seemed/seems excessive. I rarely dull one blade enough during use and typically can use either serrated or plain edge if that's the only one I have on me (even if one may be better than the other per task).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I think Spyderco's appeal was countercultural to the standard pocket knife. Thin, one handed, clipped, etc.

The Dyad was always appealing to me on paper but the idea of having two blades just seemed/seems excessive. I rarely dull one blade enough during use and typically can use either serrated or plain edge if that's the only one I have on me (even if one may be better than the other per task).
I would agree that most people could easily get by with either one plain edged blade or one fully serrated blade for their main EDC >> or maybe some people actually find that a single combo edged blade might fulfill all their needs of a pocketknife.

But speaking for myself and probably other people who do a lot of demanding hard work during the course of the day it's really nice to have two blades i.e. one fully serrated and one plain edge. Which is why I still love the concept of a double bladed full sized folder. My point being there is a market out there for double bladed folders depending on what type of cutting jobs you encounter. Myself I use my full Spyderedged 440V Native at least 2 to 3 times a day minimum>> and it goes without saying that I use my plain edged blade all throughout the day.

I do like SURF's idea of building a double bladed folder with a knife designed like the TUSK model>> that truly makes sense to me>> hopefully it would end up being in the H-1 Salt Series or sporting blades with the same steel they made the TUSK with.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I'm with you on that JD, I myself would have bought a couple of them.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why would you ever want to buy one knife when you can buy two? That's the problem with the Dyad in my mind.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

zhyla wrote:Why would you ever want to buy one knife when you can buy two? That's the problem with the Dyad in my mind.
I'll play devil's advocate here ( :) ) and say that while this makes sense, I think one of the main goals behind Spyderco's Dyad was to try to do something that had never really been done before. (I.e. combine two Round Hole opening blades, one serrated and one plain edge, with opposing back-locking mechanisms).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:Why would you ever want to buy one knife when you can buy two? That's the problem with the Dyad in my mind.
I can see where you're coming from "Zhyla" because I've got to admit that there are times I do prefer to carry two blades with both edge types. This week I've been carrying My M390 Military model PE and my 440V SE Native and those two really work well together. But there are jobs i would also like the convenience of the C-44 Dyad or even a new double bladed knife like SURF mentioned in a brilliant idea of his.

If we can get Sal's attention and consider the TUSK model to be modified into a double bladed folder with either H-1 or LC200N blade steel I do believe it would be a perfect folder for fishermen, longshoremen, Navy men & women and just about any harsh environment. I don't yet know how good that new LC200N steel would be in Spyderedge but I do already know that H-1 sure performs well in Spyderedge.

I didn't realize how nice the concept of a full sized, double bladed folder until I got my very first C-44 Dyad and it become my main EDC folder for almost a year. With the wide variety of cutting jobs I encounter there are times a double bladed, high quality folder is just what the Doctor ordered. :cool:
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I was thinking an ATR Dyad....one side plain stainless, the other side side serrated titanium. AND, add flippers...

Donut wrote:We'll just have Brad Southard design a flipper Dyad. :)
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

D-Roc wrote:I was thinking an ATR Dyad....one side plain stainless, the other side side serrated titanium. AND, add flippers...

Donut wrote:We'll just have Brad Southard design a flipper Dyad. :)
It's interesting to ponder but I still think that SURF's idea of making a double blade, Dyad type folder with the same frame and handle of the TUSK model is a great idea. And I'm sure they could design one where you could keep the MarlinSpike. And it would be great for it to be in the H-1 Salt Series or even made with LC200N which is the blade steel they are making the TUSK model with.

it hasn't been that long ago a lot of people here on the forum were calling for an H-1 Salt Dyad>> and I believe it was Spyderco themselves saying that production costs kept that one from happening. I'm impressed with the TUSK model with what I've heard the Brethren say about it>> I can only believe good things for a TUSK Dyad>>maybe that would remedy the complaints I hear about the original Dyad.