Tell me why I need a Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
phillipsted

Re: Tell me why I need a Sebenza

Post by phillipsted »

You guys aren't making this easy. I've had my eyes on a Lie Nielsen bench plane for a while (a #51 Shoot Board Plane, for the woodworkers out there), and the Insingo Sebenza keeps intruding on my purchase plans. Argh.

TedP
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I am really liking mine. I have only had it a few weeks but the blade shape is a great for utility and still a good Piercing knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

phillipsted wrote:You guys aren't making this easy. I've had my eyes on a Lie Nielsen bench plane for a while (a #51 Shoot Board Plane, for the woodworkers out there), and the Insingo Sebenza keeps intruding on my purchase plans. Argh.

TedP
I feel your pain Ted. I'm nowhere near pulling the trigger on one but I have a feeling it's an inevitable purchase at some point, even if it results in a catch and release ordeal. I'll never get this monkey off my back until I know for certain.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I got turned against these knives at the 2013 Blade Show. I had always thought they were overpriced and still do because they are just plain basic knives. However I picked up some at three different booths and never found one I could open they were all so tight at the pivot. You're telling me you're at the wolds largest cutlery show and you don't have display models that open silky smooth. I have heard people talk about how perfect they are once broken in but at these rediculous prices they should be buttery smooth first time and every time. Haven't touched another sincesince
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

One thing to consider is that the Sebenza predated many of the knives we have access to today. From inventing the lock and constructing a knife with thick titanium scales and extremely tight tolerance in it's hay-day the Sebbie was a modern marvel just like the Delica was.

What a Sebenza is (to me) is a no-frills tool. It packs the most blade in the most compact package possible. Features a flow-through design without hotspots. Has a very secure lock. The blade is ground for performance and has nice touches like a rounded spine and effective jimping. The warranty is very impressive and since the tolerances are so tight they actually include a tool to take the knife apart (and it will go back together properly!).

More of a frills guy myself, I think the TiLock is a better design. It's more interesting to look at and the blade/handle ratio is just perfect. The Small Sebbie is a tad too small and the large one is a bit unwieldy but I do have small hands. Sure knives from Strider and what-not may be more "impressive" but they are building off a concept that Chris Reeve perfected. Much like a British roadster there have been better adaptions of the principals through history but you have to give a nod to the original.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Blerv wrote: The Small Sebbie is a tad too small and the large one is a bit unwieldy but I do have small hands. Sure knives from Strider and what-not may be more "impressive" but they are building off a concept that Chris Reeve perfected. Much like a British roadster there have been better adaptions of the principals through history but you have to give a nod to the original.
I completely agree on the sizes. If CRK would come up with a 7.5" 21 or 25 it would undoubtedly be a success. With the Inkosi being even smaller than the small and the 25 being more robust than the large and considering the speed of change at CRK this could take a while. That said lately I have been starting to waiver a bit on this point. for years I didn't carry the small that much but lately the small hasn't seemed so small to me and really it is perfect in most situations. It doesn't scare people in fact usually they are more impressed by how refined it is and it performs really well for 90 percent of the things I use a knife for. When I am in the field I carry a larger knife because it is more useful but back at the shop a small really does everything I need it to do. Apart from the fact that I am to paranoid to let anyone else use it :-)

To your point of other knives like Strider being more impressive to me they are just different. CRK from a quality standpoint is pretty hard to beat, you really can't fault it but I love my strider for the light weight and ergonomics. It (the Strider) does however scare people :-) which for me is not a positive.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DRKBC wrote:To your point of other knives like Strider being more impressive to me they are just different. CRK from a quality standpoint is pretty hard to beat, you really can't fault it but I love my strider for the light weight and ergonomics. It (the Strider) does however scare people :-) which for me is not a positive.
Agreed (as with your other points). I mainly used "impressive" to indicate more flair.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I bought an inkosi opened it a few times packed it back up and returned it. It was small for my hands and to be honest not very comfortable.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Mic1 wrote:I bought an inkosi opened it a few times packed it back up and returned it. It was small for my hands and to be honest not very comfortable.
I can imagine that, it is a pretty small knife and in that small size I can't imagine the handle cut-outs work that well. Have you tried a 25? I find it is quite comfortable I wear a large size in gloves and it fits my hand well, better than the 21 actually.
Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

I like the 25 but I like the insingo 21 better. You are right in my opinion the cut outs only allowed the inkosi to be comfortable in one grip otherwise they dug into the meat of my finger where on the 25 they are comfortable. I love the Umnumzaan in every way but that darn hump on the lock bar it is uncomfortable. But I much prefer the thumb studs and design with the big pivot and lock bar over travel.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Because it rhymes with Evil Davebenza. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:Because it rhymes with Evil Davebenza. :p

Winner. That was the answer I was looking for.

:leaves house to go buy Sebenza:

:p
Donut

Post by Donut »

Make sure you get the Yojimbenza in S90V. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Evil D wrote: I have a feeling it's an inevitable purchase at some point, even if it results in a catch and release ordeal. I'll never get this monkey off my back until I know for certain.
Just remember that more than one person has been "underwhelmed" by the Sebenza when they first get it, myself included. If you don't like it initially, put it away for a few months and try again before you finally decide to sell it. My first Sebenza, a Regular, didn't "click" with me until almost a year after I bought it.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

PSquared wrote:
Evil D wrote: I have a feeling it's an inevitable purchase at some point, even if it results in a catch and release ordeal. I'll never get this monkey off my back until I know for certain.
Just remember that more than one person has been "underwhelmed" by the Sebenza when they first get it, myself included. If you don't like it initially, put it away for a few months and try again before you finally decide to sell it. My first Sebenza, a Regular, didn't "click" with me until almost a year after I bought it.
I will second that when I got my first one I expected the clouds to open. They didn't but the more I carried that knife (and also once I had taken it apart) the more I really started to appreciate the perfection and simplicity of it. I started to notice al the little details, now I judge every other knife by the Sebenza.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've found the Chris Reeve Sebenza to be very simple, very efficient, very effective, and very practical. Yes, it's no frills, but seems to me that's what you want in a knife... something that's simple, that cuts, that's easy to sharpen, and that's easy to maintain. Yes, it's expensive, but it's made to last a LONG TIME as well as be repaired/refurbished when necessary. Chris Reeve designed the knife so the owner can maintain it, and they also recommend the use of a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker or a Lansky Sharpener to keep it sharp. And, Chris Reeve can fully refurbish well-used Sebenzas to make them as good as new as possible.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

OK guys one last question, how do I go about ordering one? I see them listed on the usual online vendors, but I specifically want a double thumb stud version and would like to NOT have them blue anodized. Is this a special order thing or am I missing something? Is there any point in shopping around?

I also can't make up my mind if I want an Insingo or standard version. I love the blade shape on the Insingo, and honestly don't know why I'm unsure about it. Pros and cons? I have no problem carrying wharnies (I'm a Yo 2 lover) but the fact that this blade has a slight belly makes me love it even more.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:OK guys one last question, how do I go about ordering one? I see them listed on the usual online vendors, but I specifically want a double thumb stud version and would like to NOT have them blue anodized. Is this a special order thing or am I missing something? Is there any point in shopping around?

I also can't make up my mind if I want an Insingo or standard version. I love the blade shape on the Insingo, and honestly don't know why I'm unsure about it. Pros and cons? I have no problem carrying wharnies (I'm a Yo 2 lover) but the fact that this blade has a slight belly makes me love it even more.

The price from dealers is all the same but if you want the silver thumb studs (and they are the nicest by far, the blue just wears off) Neil at True North Knives is who you will need to go through. Re the dual thumb studs, quite honestly I have both and they aren't very easy to open from the lock side with the thumb stud. You pay a fair bit more for this option still if you like the look, you may as well get what you want. If you have patience go to the exchange on BF, in the for sale section under "Chris Reeve Knives for sale " What you are looking for comes up fairly often and if you buy this way even if you don't love the knife, you likely won't lose any money for your trouble.

I have owned both I like the standard blade shape but that's just me and honestly it is purely esthetics, I just prefer the look of the drop point. The Insingo is a great utility blade, there is very little down side other than maybe stabbing if that is important to you. If you don't like it you will be able to sell it in a heart beat without suffering much of a loss, particularly the Micarta version they are always in hot demand.

One last thing if you decide to go with a drop point you might want to look at a 25 as well. It comes with double thumb studs, FFG or FFHG I guess, little more ergonomic, more robust in general, ceramic ball interface on the lock, different pivot and some other updates. Depends what your after, many still prefer the 21.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Evil D wrote:OK guys one last question, how do I go about ordering one? I see them listed on the usual online vendors, but I specifically want a double thumb stud version and would like to NOT have them blue anodized. Is this a special order thing or am I missing something? Is there any point in shopping around?

I just made a purchase from True North Knives. I did not like the knife and sent it back. It was not a CRK.There return policy allows you to return with no penalty except for the cost of shipping both ways. I would get the 21 with insingo. Very strong tip with plenty of stabbing ability. I've been using mine for a few weeks and I like it. I am still torn between the pure smooth Precision and strength of CRK and the ergonomics and blade steels of the manix 2. Out of all the blade shapes including tanto from CRK I like the insingo the best. How I wish for a CRK in S90v - 110 . Wish in one hand and ............
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I would get a Micro Tech So com Delta if you can find one.