I feel sorry for the Dyad...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

I feel sorry for the Dyad...

Post by SG89 »

4 different sizes and it still never caught on enough to have staying power. Or was that the intention? Just wondering why it's not a production model. Seems like it would be a good seller but I guess not.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JAfromMN

Re: I feel sorry for the Dyad...

Post by JAfromMN »

It really doesn't make any sense to me either.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Our "justice" system at its "finest". The original Dyad died in a court battle which was won by (as is usually the case) the party with the deepest pockets. I don't imagine the sprint C44 made much profit with all the new tooling involved, either.

It's a great concept, and I carry my original C44 every day, but frankly, the concept works better with thumb studs than with Spyderholes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

yablanowitz wrote:Our "justice" system at its "finest". The original Dyad died in a court battle which was won by (as is usually the case) the party with the deepest pockets. I don't imagine the sprint C44 made much profit with all the new tooling involved, either.

It's a great concept, and I carry my original C44 every day, but frankly, the concept works better with thumb studs than with Spyderholes.
Wow I researched what you were talking about and that's just so ridiculous. Now I feel bad for even bringing all this up.
Spydergirl88
paladin

Post by paladin »

I own a Jr. with black mic. covers in ATS-55...

Neat little knife, but one of the most un-ergonomic Spyders ever, IMHO.

Nevertheless, I carried mine a bunch because of the uniqueness of it at that time, plus the PE blade was quite pointy & useful.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:Our "justice" system at its "finest". The original Dyad died in a court battle which was won by (as is usually the case) the party with the deepest pockets. I don't imagine the sprint C44 made much profit with all the new tooling involved, either.

Wow I researched what you were talking about and that's just so ridiculous. Now I feel bad for even bringing all this up.
Can I get a link?

I did some looking and I couldn't find anything.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Dyad series has long been a favorite design of mine. As Paladin pointed out, though, one thing that may have hurt the design was the somewhat uncomfortable grip/ergos due to the cross-blade concept. Despite that, I still really like the Dyad. There are a few here that would love go see an H1 Dyad model. :) Wouldn't that be nice?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Picked up a sprint Jr a few months back, sweet little knife but haven't gotten around to carrying it yet.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:The Dyad series has long been a favorite design of mine. As Paladin pointed out, though, one thing that may have hurt the design was the somewhat uncomfortable grip/ergos due to the cross-blade concept. Despite that, I still really like the Dyad. There are a few here that would love go see an H1 Dyad model. :) Wouldn't that be nice?
Sounds like a great boater's knife
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JAfromMN wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

Can I get a link?

I did some looking and I couldn't find anything.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 57752.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacTech
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
For standard day to day carry I have the Spyderco Dyad JR. If I'm going camping or somewhere where I anticipate the need of a bigger knife I have the full size Dyad

Grrr... i'm so envious, me want full size Dyad, but they're hard to find....

....stupid Taylor Cutlery making a cheap ripoff and drawing out a long expensive court battle against Spyderco.

....Spyderco made the Dyad series first and had patents, taylor craptlery made a cheap Chinese ripoff, then sued Spyderco for "infringing" on their "patent", drawing the court battle out long enough to make it unprofitable for Spyderco, at the time a much smaller company, Sal Glesser decided to retire the Dyad series rather than fight a long, drawn out battle against a manufacturer with a personal vendetta against him (taylor craptelry made some comment about "teaching Sal a lesson")

taylor craptelry makes Smith and Wesson knives (http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/smithwes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), BTW (CynicalGabe's S&W looks like a ripoff of a Chris Reeve Sebenza, specifically the handle scales and blade profile look Sebbie-esqe, the top-mounted thumbstud is different though) and taylor is known for making cheap Chinese knockoffs (ripoffs) of other reputable knifemaker designs

the "homeland security" knife is a Buck/Mayo ripoff
"super stout folder" looks like a ripoff of some CKRT designs
"every day carry" looks like a Kershaw ripoff

almost every taylor craptelry line looks like it has been *ahem* "inspired" *ahem* by other manufacturers and uses cheap, low quality steel

personally, i will never buy a taylor produced knife, mainly because they had a hand in killing the Dyad series....
Spydergirl88
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

One more reason not to buy Taylor junk.

Thanks.

I didn't know anything about that.

I've had a ats55 c44 and ats55 dyad Jr and both were great knives.

I have plans on trying to get the sprint this year.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I want to like the idea but I also believe in the saying "a jack of all trades is a master of none". Unless the two blades and handle are executed in a way that makes them rival single blade knives as popular as a Para 2, it won't likely replace those knives in EDC for many people.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah I think Yablanowitz has probably hit the nail on the head. But it wouldn't be the first time in corporate history that a company's best product either got sidelined, overlooked or in this case the knife I believe was just simply ahead of it's time. Albeit I could make that case for many of the Spyders during what I refer to as THE GOLDEN ERA OF SPYDERS 1998-2003>> Because there were a lot of superb models in that era that either got overlooked because of some of the icon models being so popular or dealers already had plenty of the iconic models heavily stocked to where there just wasn't room in their inventory.

Because during the late 90s I had one helluva time landing my first JD Smith model>> not to mention the almost year long wait I had before I scored a 204 Sharpmaker. But the big C-44 Dyad is truly in my top 3 and has been for years. It's such a perfect all purpose EDC model that it does truly make me scratch my head wondering why many knife users pass it by :confused:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JD Spydo wrote: It's such a perfect all purpose EDC model that it does truly make me scratch my head wondering why many knife users pass it by :confused:
No big mystery to me. In a word, ergonomics. Having that humped blade spine under your fingers does not make for comfort in prolonged use. For real world use, where 99% of the time you get out your knife, make a cut or two and put it away, it isn't really an issue, but most people seem to want a handle that is comfortable for 12 hours straight even though they only use the knife for 12 seconds at a time. Like I said, the concept actually works better with thumb studs so you don't need the humped blade spines to accommodate Spyderholes.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Like: the shape and slight belly on the SE, thinness of the PE and the cross lock

Dislike: blade shape of the PE and would prefer leaf instead of skinner, the weight and thickness are noticeable and the clip placement has too much handle sticking out
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
JD Spydo wrote: It's such a perfect all purpose EDC model that it does truly make me scratch my head wondering why many knife users pass it by :confused:
No big mystery to me. In a word, ergonomics. Having that humped blade spine under your fingers does not make for comfort in prolonged use. For real world use, where 99% of the time you get out your knife, make a cut or two and put it away, it isn't really an issue, but most people seem to want a handle that is comfortable for 12 hours straight even though they only use the knife for 12 seconds at a time. Like I said, the concept actually works better with thumb studs so you don't need the humped blade spines to accommodate Spyderholes.
I hear you Brother and I've heard that complaint repeated over the years but when I was EDCing one of my C-44 Dyads on a daily basis it was so convenient to have the best of both Spyder-Edges in one folder. Both blades on the C-44 Dyad are excellent designs IMO. The sheepsfoot fully serrated blade with just a slight belly to it is truly one of my favorite Spyderedged blades. Whereas that clip point plain edged blade is not only a great all purpose blade but it is also great for fishing and hunting when a folder is needed.

But you do make a valid point and I'm sure if there ever is a Dyad II coming our way I have no doubt that Sal or Eric will remedy that ever so slight inconvenience. The folder is so useful to me that I just don't let that minor problem bother me in the least. There are a couple of minor features on the original FB05 Temperance 1 fixed blade model>> but again that fixed blade design is so great of an all purpose fixed blade that I just don't even consider flaws that minor to disuade me from a great EDC fixed blade or folder either for that matter. But it is something to take into consideration for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:Like: the shape and slight belly on the SE, thinness of the PE and the cross lock

Dislike: blade shape of the PE and would prefer leaf instead of skinner, the weight and thickness are noticeable and the clip placement has too much handle sticking out
That's a really thought provoking observation on your part "twinboysday" because please understand I'm in no way touting the C-44 Dyad as being divinely perfect by any means>> for an example of what I'm talking about take the C-60 Ayoob Spyderco model for instance>> I fell in love with that design from "Day #1" when I bought my first one back in 2002. But when they did the Sprint Run with a G-10 handle it was such a great overall improvement from several standpoints. I saying that to concede that the C-44 Dyad certainly could use some design modifications for sure.

One big problem/complaint I've always had with the original C-44 Dyad is that there is no lanyard hole or attachment>> and if I was in a boat on a lake, ocean or river I would absolutely have to have a lanyard attached because seeing a C-44 ( or any Great Spyder for that matter) go overboard would probably drive me to taking "anti-depressants" :eek: But with Sal and Eric chiming in on these threads you know that they are always looking for ways to improve on their splendid knife designs to be made even better.

I guess it's fair to say that it's the concept of a two-bladed, full sized folder with two great edge types that entices me so much that no minor or small inconvenient design flaws I might encounter would steer me away from such a great tool as the C-44 Dyad. I'm hoping that we will eventually see more two bladed Spyders down the road. It really baffles me as to why there aren't more two bladed EDC folders in the entire market?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If the "entire market" includes traditional folders, there are tons of them out there, with two, three and even more blades.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I havem all and they are very uncomfortable with one blade open the other closed.the smaller one is the worst.great looking but unless you use both blades at once you will hate the feel.the blades need to go into the handle all the way so you dont get the spine pocking the crap out of youre palm
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

For whatever it's worth, I think the guy sounds like he's full of horsesh**
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Brands-LLC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.