MT21P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 4V

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
DM11

Re: MT21P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 4V

Post by DM11 »

I'm looking forward to getting this Mule Team!!!
can't freehand

Post by can't freehand »

I know this might sound crazy, but I'd really love to see Spyderco do a 420HC Mule or sprint run in perhaps a FRN Manix. It would be interesting to see the difference, if any, between a Spyderco run 420HC and the unfortunates found in cheapo knives like Kershaw's Scallion. Honestly, I'm not even sure Buck can be trusted given the scary 'performance' of their 5160.

CPM 4V is a new Crucible steel and all but on paper it looks like a non-stainless S30V. Carbon, vanadium, Moly, and Silicone contents are almost identical.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Hi,

New to the forum. Question - Do you think the Mule Team shape would make a good steak knife? I can't really get a handle (no pun :) ) on the size of the knife. Anyone have a photo of the knife in hand?

I just purchased a MT1-52100 and a MT3-S90V from another sales forum and would like to use them in the kitchen and for eating a meal. I understand the 52100 is high carbon and needs more care. I do plan on getting the new model next week.

Please let me know your thoughts :)

Thank you.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think it'd make a great steak knife. I have used a mule blade for that kind of stuff quite a bit.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

kjd2121 wrote:Hi,

New to the forum. Question - Do you think the Mule Team shape would make a good steak knife? I can't really get a handle (no pun :) ) on the size of the knife. Anyone have a photo of the knife in hand?

I just purchased a MT1-52100 and a MT3-S90V from another sales forum and would like to use them in the kitchen and for eating a meal. I understand the 52100 is high carbon and needs more care. I do plan on getting the new model next week.

Please let me know your thoughts :)

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum, kjd2121 ! I don't have a photo of a mule in hand, but I can tell you that, believe it or not, it is similar in size and shape to the regular size Manix, so, if you're familiar with the Manix, that should give you an idea. For me it would make a very good steak knife. I would probably prefer one of the thin handles for that rather than the "3D" ( = "contoured") handles.

Here's a few shots I saw in the Show your Mule thread -- there should be plenty more there: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31531&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(by the way, I'm going to send you a PM, so please check you messages :) )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

kjd2121 wrote:Question - Do you think the Mule Team shape would make a good steak knife?
I don't know , will it actually cut meat? (XHP version)

Here is a mule next to a Tenacious.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bdblue wrote:
[...}

Here is a mule next to a Tenacious.

[/quote]

Hi, bdblue, could you tell us which mule that is? I can't make out the name on the blade. It seems to be developing an interesting patina.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

For those interested in in-hand shots:

Rounded Halpern scales. Very comfortable but handle heavy. Not a big deal as this isn't a chopper. It makes the blade very quick in hand. I wear a size large glove for reference.

And this knife has taken quite a bit of work in stride looking no worse for the wear. Made me a believer in spray formed D2. Can't wait to see how 4V compares head to head at the same thickness.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This 4V Mule is dropping before my Elk season opens up so hopefully I will be able to put it through a good workout right away!

My S110V Mule did great this year on a Mule Deer!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Thank you everyone for the awesome replies. The knife appears larger than I thought and that is a good thing for me. Can't wait until they arrive today. Time to look for handles.
swigert

Post by swigert »

kjd2121 wrote:Thank you everyone for the awesome replies. The knife appears larger than I thought and that is a good thing for me. Can't wait until they arrive today. Time to look for handles.
Halpern Titanium should be your first stop for handles.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Does Halpern offer Black hardware?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

DougC-3 wrote:could you tell us which mule that is? I can't make out the name on the blade. It seems to be developing an interesting patina.

That is MT05, 9Cr18Mo steel. I don't know what is happening in the photo- that must be a reflection of something, maybe my shirt.

As for Mule size, it is a good size for a using knife. It is a little bit big for EDC pocket carry. The blade is not thick enough to be a "bushcraft" or "survival" type knife.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

kjd2121 wrote:Does Halpern offer Black hardware?
I will answer my own post - -NO they do NOT!!! Bummer
Niles

Post by Niles »

Ordered. Pretty excited to make some handles. The sheath...not so much, but you've got to have a sheath.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

The Spyderco store is temporarily unavailable
animportant

Post by animportant »

Arg.. this should be fun. Anyone know many were available? Would like to know if these have sold out yet. Long load times, and saying my cart is empty.
kosta

Post by kosta »

Only at 9:25 I could pay. :)
My mules.
Last edited by kosta on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Probably need to call them
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, guys, we're aware of the issues you're posting about. At this point, it seems to be the high volume of folks trying to order causing the site to slow down. We're working now to ensure that is all it is. Please be patient and keep trying.

Please also avoid trying to do the little inventory trick to see how many are still in stock. That causes a completely unnecessary load on the server. We never load the full inventory on the site so whatever number you see it's not indicative of how many we have left.

Thanks!
There is nothing more important than this one day.