Rust on TiCN coated S30V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Rust on TiCN coated S30V?

Post by Bodog »

Yep. Looks like it ate right through the coating. I don't use the knife that much, these aren't scratches from use. The rust follows the factory grind marks. Color me a little disappointed. Just goes to show that pretty much any steel can rust. Ugh. I didn't leave it sitting in saltwater or anything, just a clean, dry drawer with my other knives. Even the low chromium knives don't rust like that. It's a little odd to me that on one side the rusting was only on the ricasso and the other side was only on the primary grind.

Won't be buying TiCN coated knives anymore. It actually prevents me from properly caring for the knife. If I go to sand the rust off the coating will come off too. So I guess this knife is mine until I lose it or throw it away.

It does bring up a question in my mind, though. I did a review of a knife on another forum and used this knife (and a military) to show why I feel like S30V type steels aren't really all that great to me. I now wonder if there was a botched heat treatment or something. But I have no idea. It sharpens like S30V normally does. It acts like S30V normally does, except the rust of course.

Last edited by Bodog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Re: Rust on TiCN coated S30V?

Post by Bodog »

After a little bit of metal polish:

This was sitting right next to my uncoated, unoiled PSF27 MT blade, a unoiled 1095 blade, and an elmax blade. The other knives are just fine.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Give it a clean and see if it happens again. Would be curious to see if it persists.
palonej

Post by palonej »

I would call CS on that one bro.
Blade looks like you never cut anything!
Not cool as we pay extra for the coating.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

palonej wrote:I would call CS on that one bro.
FWIW, the coating is not added or marketed as corrosion prevention. There has even been some speculation that it could make the steel more prone to corrosion. In my experience s30v is not one of the best stainless options for corrosion resistance. S90v has performed much better for me in that area.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If I were you I would stonewash the blade to get the "blackwash", effect that ZT and Kershaw use on their knives.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
endgame

Post by endgame »

S30 and 35 rust like crazy on me but I live at the ocean.vg10 never does I do not no why
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had light rusting with S30v and I never have corrosion problems. It isn't super stainless.

I am intrigued by the pictures. That rust has a strange pattern and with it following the grind lines like that I wonder if some non stainless steel was ground on the same belt and then embedded in your blade. not sure if that is it but something looks strange about it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I avoid coated blades whenever possible. I find it easy to restore a satin finish on plain blades with just sandpaper. That isn't an option with a coated blade. I'm not a ninja so light discipline is pretty low on the list.

I would send it in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I hesitate to spend the money to send it in just to get a response back saying that I didn't oil the blade or something. I say that because I'm genuinely stumped at what caused it and I don't know if it's my fault or not. If my other knives rusted too then I'd know, but when some non-stainless knives were sitting in there just as long and they didn't rust, well, then, I don't know.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Now that I got home from work and looked a little closer, the rust lines are all over the blade. Why they congregated where they did is a mystery. Has anyone else seen botched TiCN?
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

My user s35v para rusts up pretty easy

I live in southern Ontario Canada and land locked
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I don't like seeing this.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Surfingringo wrote:
palonej wrote:I would call CS on that one bro.
FWIW, the coating is not added or marketed as corrosion prevention. There has even been some speculation that it could make the steel more prone to corrosion. In my experience s30v is not one of the best stainless options for corrosion resistance. S90v has performed much better for me in that area.
While I've not had the greatest of luck with S30V either, TiCN is supposed to add at least some level of corrosion prevention.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/898650/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That should make S30V easily more corrosion resistant than 1095 and PSF27, I'd think. With this level of rust resistance, personally I'd prefer another, tougher, harder, more abrasion resistant steel coated with TiCN (or nothing at all) rather than S30V if it's still going to corrode easily.

I've had some small rust spots appear on S30V before, but it was nothing my thumb nail couldn't remove. Definitely not to the point where it eats away at the blade ad much as what happened here.
Last edited by Bodog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

JAfromMN wrote:I don't like seeing this.
I do not like seeing it either.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Bodog wrote:
JAfromMN wrote:I don't like seeing this.
I do not like seeing it either.

I wanted a black ppt just like yours but now I'm not so sure.

If it's going to rust just being in storage I don't want it.

I've had good luck with dlc s30v black native but I've never tried ticn coating.

I'm more than a little disappointed seeing this.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Mine might be a bad knife from the factory or I might have unknowingly screwed it up. I don't know how I could have because I'm not rough on my folders. I'm gonna call Golden tomorrow. Hopefully they're willing to look at the pictures before they tell me to send the knife in. I've had some bad experiences with that in the past and it soured me on specific companies. I absolutely don't want something to happen that makes me think about Spyderco differently than I do now. I'm gun shy.

Honestly I was hoping that someone could pop up saying they've seen it before and that 1) it's my fault due to x and y or 2) it's a problem that's been seen before and spyderco fixes it without any problems. If it's my fault I don't want to repeat the mistake.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I'm looking forward to what they have to say.
adam569

Post by adam569 »

That's one of my favorite knives a safe queen I hope it's a factory defect.
Recent purchases: orange dragonfly 2, CS exclusive paramilitary2, black g10 large chinese lum :spyder:
Wish list: Manix 2 cruwear, navaja, SB delica and SB Caly 3.5 :spyder:
Top 3 edc : s110v paramilitary2 , orange vg10 dragonfly, and Cruwear military :spyder:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Sent them an email with the same photos. Waiting to hear back.