CPM CRUWEAR vs. CTS-XHP Military - which one should I buy first?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

1. Millie in CPM CRUWEAR
68%
2. Millie in CTS-XHP
32%

Total votes: 41

glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Which of these two do you think I should get first? I do not currently own any other knives in these steels. I do own a normal S30V military, and I'd like to try out a new steel. Knife will be a user!
JD Spydo

Re: CPM CRUWEAR vs. CTS-XHP Military - which one should I buy first?

Post by JD Spydo »

glbpro wrote:Which of these two do you think I should get first? I do not currently own any other knives in these steels. I do own a normal S30V military, and I'd like to try out a new steel. Knife will be a user!
I've yet to own a Cruwear Military model and by the way the C-36 Military is truly one of my all time favorite EDC and all purpose knives I've ever owned with a Spyderco label on it>> I do own an XHP Military that I've had for some time now and it's a great blade and I like it significantly better than the standard S30V model. But about 3 months ago I snagged an M390 Military and it's quickly become one of my top 3 EDC models. I've only sharpened it twice since I've owned it and I've used it almost everyday since I've gotten it. I'm here to tell you that the M390 is one I wouldn't pass up if you get the chance to get one. Don't get me wrong because I do like XHP steel but the M390 holds an edge better in my daily uses.

From a collector's standpoint I would say that the Cruwear model would be the one I would go after >> because I'm also anxious to test drive Cruwear for EDC use. I'm really wanting to see what XHP would be like in a full Spyderedged model just in case Spyderco would cave in and offer the Military in full SE again. Because I get the gut feeling that XHP would be a good blade steel for serrated edges IMO. Good luck on your search and keep us posted
palonej

Post by palonej »

I have a Cruwear Millie and can't tell you how much I love this knife!!
Smooth as Pam Anderson's butt.....in Bay Watch days....gorgeous scales, flickably fun and that blade takes and holds a wickedly scary sharp edge!!
Got mine for a great price on the BF Exchange! They seem to come up once or twice a month. Priced anywhere between $130 - $200.
A most excellently awesome beast of a knife!!
Good luck!!
Joe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

palonej wrote: Smooth as Pam Anderson's butt.....in Bay Watch days...
Lol glad you got specific on that lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Love PA's....oops I mean my Cruwear Millie, everything about it is perfect, don't have the CTS-XHP and don't see them very often on the secondary market.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Donut

Post by Donut »

Cruwear is much more available now, so it should be cheaper and easier to get ahold of. The XHP is not going to change much in price or availability and it is probably going to be tougher to find.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

I voted XHP because, in my opinion, it's the best all around steel I've used. It's good at everything. I had a cruwear manix but traded it away before I even used it, I really didn't like the scale color (I loved the diamond pattern). From what I understand cruwear isn't very stainless and on a daily user I want stainless, if it's a "BBQ Knife" im fine with it. I think the big advantage to cruwear in a military blade though is its toughness. I think the cruwear would be easier to sell too if you ever wanted to get rid of it.

My only millie is the S90V but I've fallen in love with the design and really want to try it in various steels, especially M390 and XHP
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I voted for cruwear as I'm a huge fan, I love carrying and using that knife. I find the blade to be much more stain resistant than we are led to believe, I don't have any issues with my millie or manix.

XHP is a great steel also and the rarer version of the knife, if you are just looking to fill a void in your collection then get this one.

User - cruwear, Collection - XHP

If you can afford it, get both, even if you have to mow your neighbor's lawn or wash a co-workers car for the extra cash :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Both are good steels but I prefer the Cruwear not only for it's attributes but I also think it will be more desirable in the future if you want to sell or trade. As far as using knife it's one of the finest knives I've ever owned and used. I can think of nothing I'd change about it.

Joe
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

XHP if you value corrosion resistance. Cruwear if you value additional toughness. I love XHP on EDC blades. I've found it easy to sharpen and it holds a respectable edge. I'm very curious about Cruwear and I'd pick one up in that steel just to try it out, but I haven't seen for a price I'm willing to pay.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Simple. The answer is "buy both!" ;)

But really, if I had to choose only one at this very moment, I'd probably say the Cruwear first simply because they seem to be getting harder to find. And, as Joe so eloquently stated, the Cruwear also possess all of the fine attributes of Pam Anderson's early-90's posterior.

:D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Cujobob wrote:XHP if you value corrosion resistance. Cruwear if you value additional toughness. I love XHP on EDC blades. I've found it easy to sharpen and it holds a respectable edge. I'm very curious about Cruwear and I'd pick one up in that steel just to try it out, but I haven't seen for a price I'm willing to pay.
I think this is a good strategy. I have the Cruwear and I think it fits the way that I might use this knife, although most of the time I would be fine with standard S30V steel.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Cruwear gets my vote. That millie is my favorite knife and gets carried every day. I live in florida and usually have that millie on me when I'm out saltwater fishing and never had any rust problems. Only spots where some little rust appeared is in the jimping. I've evenever let it sit inside an orange for a couple hours just to see what it would do and never had any sign of patina or rust.
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Military in any sprint is worth it. Buy both.
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
palonej wrote: Smooth as Pam Anderson's butt.....in Bay Watch days...
Lol glad you got specific on that lol

Some folks like cottage cheese...
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

XHP CAUSE I LOKE BROWN
endgame

Post by endgame »

Im not a steel junkie but the xhp is my girl.still love my vg10 I dont like anyother steel as much I am a chef work with it every day pluss many of my fav knives have it.put it this way vg10 isnt the most amazing steel but it good in every catigory and great in some.so easy to razor sharpen.
BTG

Post by BTG »

XHP, since you asked which first....I have the cruwear and love it..don't have a XHP....HOWEVER I see more cruwear available, so I'd grab the other first, then cruwear as soon as possible after that.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would get the cruwear as I believe that steel will more easily distinguish itself in performance than something like xhp. Of course, I don't actually own any cruwear yet so my advice is worth very little. :rolleyes:
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Thanks for all the replies and good advice. The choice has been made:

Initial impressions were rather poor actually :eek: When I first got the knife it was really stiff opening and the blade was noticeably off centre - much more so than my standard millie. I took out the pivot screw and a bunch of debris fell out of the pivot - what looked like old loctite and some unidentifiable red stuff. When I took the knife apart I found a nasty burr on the outside flat of the female pivot cup which needed about an hour's work to remove. Seems like whoever assembled the knife had to force it together - I had to use a hammer and drift punch to knock out the female side of the pivot!

Anyway, now the knife is back together and is still stiff, but at least it's smooth and not too badly off centre. This knife will be a user so I'm not really worried about the action. But still, come on Spyderco...

The steel is pretty impressive - compared to my S30V millie this knife almost seems to draw the material being cut into the blade, it's uncanny. I'm hoping to get a Domino next, which will give me a Spydie in CTS-XHP :)