Delica 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Delica 5

Post by MichaelScott »

Considering the evolution of the Delica 4, what would be suggestions for changes to the current model?

I think the handle ergonomics are fine. I would like to see:
  • deep pocket clip in a subdued color, not shiny
  • more FRN color choices
  • chiol similar to the Dragonfly 2
  • no dent on the lock release
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Re: Delica 5

Post by SpyderNut »

My only "want" would be for more FRN color choices. Oh, and maybe a sharper blade tip too. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

The Delica 4 is such a great blade. Holding mine right now, the only thing I think I would change is going to a deeper pocket clip. More color choices would be nice as well. I don't mind the dent on the release so much, it somewhat helps me find it without looking. But either way I am good with the release. I don't think the Delica will ever have a choil. Reference a couple other threads on this forum for more information why.

I bet it would be a great platform for a lot of sprint runs in a lot more steels than what it already is.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

NO CHOIL! Sheesh....
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

I would love to have the wire clip off of a Dragonfly or Chaparral on a delica!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I would redesign the finger guard, personally. No exposed blade tang and perhaps a bit more room for the index finger. Round the spine (or make less sharp).
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't change much. I wish it had a pointier tip but we have been told that the current tip is here to stay.

I would definitely NOT like to see a choil or a deep carry clip. I would also not want to see a wire clip because I prefer tip down. The Delica and Endura are knives for the masses and for that reason it should and probably will stay with a four position clip to suit as many people as possible.

As far as the dent goes I say ditch it. It has never done anything for me personally and it adds unnecessarycost to the knife.

It is hard to argue with more color choices. Bring them on.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they'd just remove those points on the grip and make it more like a Harpy I'd be happy. I've been hoping for a deep carry clip option for years that could be used on any of the usual 3 hole clip models.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Evil D wrote:If they'd just remove those points on the grip and make it more like a Harpy I'd be happy. I've been hoping for a deep carry clip option for years that could be used on any of the usual 3 hole clip models.
Hate to mention another brand but a 2 screw deep carry clip like the current Benchmade one would be great. Simple but effective. I'm really starting to not care for the regular hourglass clip on many spydies, mainly on the G10 models though.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

A thinner sabre grind or a more robust flat grind. Call me Goldilocks, but I want something between the current sabre grind and the FFG.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The only possible changes I would want to see is an updated lock to remove any up and down play (none of my SPydies have it but some have experienced it) and most important, new colors of FRN.

NO CHOIL!!!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The new improved stronger backlock (as in Native) and a pointy tip.There are other ways to strenghten the tip.I wish I had a Delica 3.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

For me the D4 is as close as one can get to e perfect edc.
I would welcome a deep carry clip,dark or denim blue scales (like those on the kahr edition),and a blade without the ricasso,with the cutting edge running all the way to the handle.
NO CHOIL!
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Wire pocketclip and choil is all I'd need for a next generation Delica.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Back to a pointier tip like the classic Delicas.

Choil or no choil, or both in two separate sub models is ok with me.
bearfacedkiller

Why does every knife need a choil? There are plenty of knives with choils so why add one to one of the few Spydies that does not have one?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Doc Dan wrote:The only possible changes I would want to see is an updated lock to remove any up and down play (none of my SPydies have it but some have experienced it) and most important, new colors of FRN.
^ This. I think using the newer lock tech found on the Native 5 or the stop pin on the Chap would make the Delica significantly better.
Quick Draw

Post by Quick Draw »

D4 is as perfect as it gets. The dent I could do without but doesn't bother me much. Current D4 just needs more sprints with different handle scales (CF, G10 or Micarta).
As others have said No Choil, wouldn't be a Delica if it had one.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Pointier tip, thicker stock on the FFG, wire clip. Wire clip being #1. I really do wish the blade stock was same thickness as the Caly 3.5, it just seems too thin to me and the E4 does not
bearfacedkiller

I would like one with thinner stock myself.

1.8mm sounds good to me :D
-Darby