Where to buy replacement screws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mammuthus

Re: Where to buy replacement screws?

Post by mammuthus »

bump :(
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd suggest when looking for help be more specific when saying "stripped screws". Do you mean the head is stripped so you can't get a grip with your screwdriver with a torx bit (or hex or whatever)? Or, do you mean the threads are stripped on the screw or inside the hole so your great grip with the torx will spin the screw fine but you just can't get it out?

In my experience a stripped head is easier to remedy depending on the size and how much access you have to the head. Stripped threads are a different issue. And until you remove the screw you don't know if the screw threads or the threads in the hole are damaged. Or both.

Jack
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

mammuthus wrote:Try to search here: usaknifemaker.com but I don't really know parametres of original screws.
Couldn't find any metric screws there, maybe you want to consider a different supplier.
AFAIR the scale screws are M2.5, flat head in 5.3 mm length.
The clip screws are M1.6, don't know the size of the pivot screw, you should measure youself.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't know why Spyderco won't release the details of their screws to the public. It's been requested many times on this forum but as far as I know they haven't given any specifics publicly. I'm sure there is a reason for this. It's been requested many times with no info on it that I'm aware of. They are not known for just not answering a specific question for no good reason. But, I've seen some pretty inclusive screw thread determining tools out there on tool web sites. Some are made of steel and tapped with all sorts of screw and thread sizes. You take a screw and find a hole it fits in I think is how they work. Then you shop for those specifications. But some are more expensive than I want to pay since I only need something like that every 10 or 20 years. And if you have already disassembled a Spyderco the warranty is void so go ahead and re-tap the holes in the liners (or wherever) and get screws to match. I've never done it though and it may be easier to say than to do.

Jack
mammuthus

Post by mammuthus »

Well, I sent a letter to spy support with request. Answer is:
I can send you a few scale screws if you reply with an address. Please note that they may not be the same screws as what you had in your knife but they will fit the threads. We do not stock all repair parts for the knives that are not made here in Golden. Also damage from disassembling the knife voids the warranty and can cause lock up and blade play issues.

I will make some measures after receiving.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't know why Spyderco won't release the details of their screws to the public. It's been requested many times on this forum but as far as I know they haven't given any specifics publicly. I'm sure there is a reason for this. It's been requested many times with no info on it that I'm aware of. They are not known for just not answering a specific question for no good reason. But, I've seen some pretty inclusive screw thread determining tools out there on tool web sites. Some are made of steel and tapped with all sorts of screw and thread sizes. You take a screw and find a hole it fits in I think is how they work. Then you shop for those specifications. But some are more expensive than I want to pay since I only need something like that every 10 or 20 years. And if you have already disassembled a Spyderco the warranty is void so go ahead and re-tap the holes in the liners (or wherever) and get screws to match. I've never done it though and it may be easier to say than to do.

Jack
Perhaps because doing so would require obtaining screw diameter, thread pitch, length, and head diameter and head type information for each specific screw on every model, past and present. That's assuming the screw dimensions never varied during the production life of a model.

OTOH, there are only a small number of SAE miniature machine screw sizes in the range that might possibly be used by Spyderco. I would assume the same is true for miniature metric machine screws as well. So, finding a screw of the proper size should not be too much of a problem. Finding one of exactly the right length, with exactly the right head, might prove more challenging.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pechelman

Post by pechelman »

Would anyone be able to help identify the screws needed for a Southard?

I have already contacted Spyderco and they were of no help. They had no idea what screws were used to make the knife.

The clip screws are the same as the frame\scale screws and in my case, I need 1 screw that is slightly longer to accommodate a deep carry clip that interfaces a standoff. As it is, the current clip screw, appx .176-.178" long, that I am reusing only engages the standoff about .75 of a turn.

I've had a friend with a Delica measure his clip screw (also appx .175" in length) with a gage from Olander and it indicates as M2.5x.45. I just got that info, so i havent had a chance to measure my screw back at home, but I believe that could be close or right. I seem to remember my thread outer diameter was ~.089 but i could be remembering incorrectly as that was a couple of weeks ago.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You mIght consider trying this place. Never dealt with them, can't vouch for them, but they seem to have a bunch of small metric fasteners.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
pechelman

Post by pechelman »

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of that source, but rather than looking for a source to buy, I'm looking for confirmation from someone else with a southard that a 2.5x.45 is the correct thread and pitch.
pechelman

Post by pechelman »

Just wanted to reply back that i got my screws today and I can confirm, on at least mine, that the screws are indeed M2.5x.45.

I ordered from the link above. The screws are T8 and have a much larger head, so these are really only for clip screws. They wont fit inside the counterbored holes on the scale or frame.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ChrisinHove wrote:I use a Chicago as a household tool, at which it excels, being sharp, unthreatening and always to hand.

However, over time the blade has become badly misaligned, rubbing on the liner, and one of the screw heads stripped in trying to loosen the scales off to remedy this.

Does anyone know where replacement screws can be sourced?

Spyderco customer services can't help, other than suggesting it be sent in for a warranty assessment, but it's clearly not a warranty issue.

If you don't wind up sending the knife in for W&R to fix, and can tolerate voiding your warranty I'd suggest replacing the white polymer blade bushings with bronze washers as well as replacing the damaged screws. My Cat had bad blade centering and soft lockup with the OEM bushings, all that changed when I installed phosphor bronze washers in place of the originals. The knife now has stronger lockup and perfect blade centering, though it's a bit stiffer opening/closing than it had been.

I got the parts from USA knife maker, the new washers required fitting, for both thickness and outer diameter (I got a bunch of sizes so that I was fairly sure one would at least be close to a fit), but the work was well worth it, taking the Cat from typical budget grade lockup to very good lockup with a few bucks worth of washers and about 45 minutes of tinkering.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Deacon wrote: OTOH, there are only a small number of SAE miniature machine screw sizes in the range that might possibly be used by Spyderco. I would assume the same is true for miniature metric machine screws as well. So, finding a screw of the proper size should not be too much of a problem. Finding one of exactly the right length, with exactly the right head, might prove more challenging.

This is what dremel tools and precision files are for ;) adjusting length and outer head diameter are pretty easy tasks if you have a screw with the right thread and a head size that's close to original.
-David

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

awa54 wrote:
The Deacon wrote: OTOH, there are only a small number of SAE miniature machine screw sizes in the range that might possibly be used by Spyderco. I would assume the same is true for miniature metric machine screws as well. So, finding a screw of the proper size should not be too much of a problem. Finding one of exactly the right length, with exactly the right head, might prove more challenging.

This is what dremel tools and precision files are for ;) adjusting length and outer head diameter are pretty easy tasks if you have a screw with the right thread and a head size that's close to original.
I generally shudder when I see posts the mention a Dremel tool, but in this case I agree. I've had great luck with the thin emery cut-off wheels on small fasteners. They cut quickly and safely, are generally easier to make an accurate cut with than a saw, and leave a generally neat finish that you can easily touch up on the (this is bad technique...) side of the cut-off wheel. The only thing to be aware of is temps - if you are brave or silly enough to hold the fastener in your fingers, you may wind up holding an uncomfortably hot screw. I know this because... :o
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JNewell wrote: I generally shudder when I see posts the mention a Dremel tool, but in this case I agree. I've had great luck with the thin emery cut-off wheels on small fasteners. They cut quickly and safely, are generally easier to make an accurate cut with than a saw, and leave a generally neat finish that you can easily touch up on the (this is bad technique...) side of the cut-off wheel. The only thing to be aware of is temps - if you are brave or silly enough to hold the fastener in your fingers, you may wind up holding an uncomfortably hot screw. I know this because... :o

Yup, just like Vise-Grips and duct tape, the Dremel tool really *does* have legitimate uses... Too bad most people don't realize what they are ;)
-David

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Scale screw is 4-40 1/4 inch 100 degree FYI
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb