Caly 3 FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EvanB.

Caly 3 FRN

Post by EvanB. »

This would be my dream EDC. Especially in gray.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Caly 3 FRN

Post by Doc Dan »

If they did this and it was in VG-10 it would be nice. I am sure some here would like to see the 3.5 in FRN.

I would like to see the Caly 3 in blue or red weave carbon fiber or nishijin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

This would make Delica purists who hate choils happy lmao.

I'd be a customer.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

ukpk leaf?
remnar

Post by remnar »

frn Caly 3? Yes please!
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I'll take one in orange.
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Let's just go crazy and do a caly 4 in polished cf and zdp189
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I don't mean to be a kill-joy or anything, but the cost of creating FRN molds is ghastly expensive. :( Never say never (because I agree it would likely sell well), but I imagine it would likely be more reasonable to see a Sprint run with a different type of G-10/CF vs. the FRN route.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is pretty darn close (dark gray FRN, VG-10)... :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpyderNut wrote:I don't mean to be a kill-joy or anything, but the cost of creating FRN molds is ghastly expensive. :( Never say never (because I agree it would likely sell well), but I imagine it would likely be more reasonable to see a Sprint run with a different type of G-10/CF vs. the FRN route.
Isn't the UKPK just a slipjoint version of the Caly3? Why not just use those molds? Then you can make it in Golden out of S110V with dark blue frn. :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RadioactiveSpyder

bearfacedkiller wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I don't mean to be a kill-joy or anything, but the cost of creating FRN molds is ghastly expensive. :( Never say never (because I agree it would likely sell well), but I imagine it would likely be more reasonable to see a Sprint run with a different type of G-10/CF vs. the FRN route.
Isn't the UKPK just a slipjoint version of the Caly3? Why not just use those molds? Then you can make it in Golden out of S110V with dark blue frn. :cool:
Yes, well technically the Caly 3 is a locking version of the UKPK (chicken and egg thing here, UKPK came first...). No go on the molds though, as you might guess simply from the different screw hole numbers and positions. These differences would force a new mold. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I remembered this coming up before but couldn't remember why it wouldn't work. That was why.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'd make those holes work :mad: :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I strongly suspect that the molds for the FRN Calypso Jr. handle still exist. If that's true, then the most feasible option would be bringing it back and the second most feasible would be bringing it back with a blade like the Caly 3's. That is to say, no swedge, no sharpening notch, jimping, and a slightly rounded transition between the thumb ramp and spine.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:I strongly suspect that the molds for the FRN Calypso Jr. handle still exist. If that's true, then the most feasible option would be bringing it back and the second most feasible would be bringing it back with a blade like the Caly 3's. That is to say, no swedge, no sharpening notch, jimping, and a slightly rounded transition between the thumb ramp and spine.
+ 100 Perfection. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Deacon wrote:I strongly suspect that the molds for the FRN Calypso Jr. handle still exist. If that's true, then the most feasible option would be bringing it back and the second most feasible would be bringing it back with a blade like the Caly 3's. That is to say, no swedge, no sharpening notch, jimping, and a slightly rounded transition between the thumb ramp and spine.
Paul wins again :)

If it happens, so do the rest of us ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

The Caly Jr. might indeed return as a sprint. We've asked for it several times previously.

Not sure what a Caly 3-shaped blade in a Caly Jr. frame would be called (a Caly Jr. 2, a Caly FRN?), or what the probability of actually ever seeing this would be. If I was a betting man, I'd say slim to none, but hey I'm often wrong... Sal seems to be placing reduced emphasis on the Caly and UKPK lines recently, with several models of both disco'd in the last few years (which is a shame).
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Just bring back the Caly Jr. with an FFG blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I also recently suggest a Caly 3 FRN, so I can only agree on that request !

Any new Caly would be much appreciated !!
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:Just bring back the Caly Jr. with an FFG blade.
Yes please!! Molds are there and for me it's even a better blade.
(and I want more fish scale FRN) ;)