Delica 4 Choil

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Delica 4 Choil

Post by MichaelScott »

I like my Delica 4. I also like my Dragonfly 2. I would like my Delica more if it had a choil like the Dragonfly. More options with a choil than without for an EDC knife. Looking closely it is apparent that adding a choil to the Delica (5?) would only surrender about a quarter inch of cutting edge. Or, make the blade a quarter inch longer on the Delica 5 and you have the same cutting length, plus the advantages of a choil.

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tvenuto

Re: Delica 4 Choil

Post by tvenuto »

Sigh
remnar

Post by remnar »

tvenuto wrote:Sigh
lol :)

MichaelScott, How 'bout trying a Caly 3? A Delica with a choil is not a Delica.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Haha, dead horse is still getting beat on sometimes around here.

OP try out a caly 3
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

swigert wrote:

OP try out a caly 3
A Caly 3 does not a Delica make.

Really appreciate the "dead horse" comment. Nothing like trying to stifle inquiry or discussion on a topic you care little about. To me, it is a legitimate consideration. If you don't care to participate it would be more courteous to keep the personal remarks to yourself. I certainly don't appreciate them.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

MichaelScott wrote:
swigert wrote:

OP try out a caly 3

Really appreciate the "dead horse" comment. Nothing like trying to stifle inquiry or discussion on a topic you care little about. To me, it is a legitimate consideration. If you don't care to participate it would be more courteous to keep the personal remarks to yourself. I certainly don't appreciate them.

In there defense I just brought this exact same thing minus the great picture about a week ago lol.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

here are some other recent threads about this topic:
Why no choil on the Delica?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've realized I love choils.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've realized I don't like choils.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

personally, i love my delica without the a choil
I would actually love to see a modified PM2 and manix2 without a choil... more blade ftw

edit
here's a cool delica mod with woodscales and a choil:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by flatearth on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

a 50 / 50 choil would require a handle redesign & new FRN molds...

both doable-- but costly ...

exactly what do you think the difference in performance would be with a choiled Delica over a Caly 3 or Caly 3.5?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

MichaelScott wrote: A Caly 3 does not a Delica make.

A choil does not a Delica make.

If you change the design of a model... it no longer becomes that model. Therefore, if you put a choil on a Delica, it is no longer called a Delica. There are other models intentionally designed with choils for those who like choils (Like the Caly 3).

As mentioned above... this topic continually comes up and discussion on it has been beat to death (hence the dead horse comment).
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

NO! NO! NO! No choil, not ever.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Yep, no choil
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Here we go again...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Doc Dan wrote:NO! NO! NO! No choil, not ever.
+1
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

How about getting a Meadowlark?

I like both my Endura & Cara 2.
Chris :spyder:
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I want a Native 6 with a hump,a slimmer handle and without a choil...sure,it will be no longer a Native,and this knife already exists,but i would like such a knife because in love the Native design... ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MichaelScott wrote:
swigert wrote:

OP try out a caly 3

Or possibly just someone reminding you that you were among a very small minority of people favoring such a change in this thread from just last month.

EDITED TO ADD: Sometimes the only way to get exactly what you want is to pay what I call the "my way tax". I've seen at least one Delica that was customized by modding the handle and the tang to create a 50/50 choil, so that's something to consider if you really, really, want a choiled Delica.
Last edited by The Deacon on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
swigert

Post by swigert »

MichaelScott wrote:
swigert wrote:

OP try out a caly 3

Hey OP,

Wasn't trying to offend at all. Just making a joke, doesn't always translate in Internet talk. Sorry about that.

In no way was I trying to attack you.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I actually squeeze in my finger in the Delica's choil area sometimes like it had a 50/50 choil.

They can't all have choils. Like many suggested, a Caly3 is is the closest thing, just no grip on the scales though, they should make another G10 available!. Chaparral and Byrd Mlarks are the other close ones.
swigert

Post by swigert »

FCM415 wrote:I actually squeeze in my finger in the Delica's choil area sometimes like it had a 50/50 choil.

They can't all have choils. Like many suggested, a Caly3 is is the closest thing, just no grip on the scales though, they should make another G10 available!. Chaparral and Byrd Mlarks are the other close ones.

I also squeeze in there at times.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

swigert wrote: Wasn't trying to offend at all. Just making a joke, doesn't always translate in Internet talk. Sorry about that.

In no way was I trying to attack you.
I too apologize for jumping the gun, or the choil, in this instance. Probably comes from my stint of moderating a gun forum where bush wars would spring up quickly in similar circumstances.

I had read some of the threads about choils, and choils and Delicas. But, as one who likes choils on certain knives, I wanted to interject some objective data concerning an objection in one of those threads over the loss of cutting edge with the addition of a choil on the Delica. I took the pictures help get my idea across.

Most responders to the choil suggestions are opposed to the idea. There may be more who like it but have not responded. I think Spyderco enjoys and profits from substantive discussions on ideas, likes, dislikes, features, etc. so I see value in these threads.

To respond to a few suggestions in this one:

"If you change the design of a model... it no longer becomes that model. Therefore, if you put a choil on a Delica, it is no longer called a Delica."

If I am correct the Dragonfly was modified with a choil, among other changes from the original, to be released as the Dragonfly 2. Still a Dragonfly.

"exactly what do you think the difference in performance would be with a choiled Delica over a Caly 3 or Caly 3.5?"

Performance? Probably not much, but neither of those are Delicas, which I prefer for various reasons over those two. The addition of a choil to a Delica would not require extensive modification I think. Could be wrong. I'm no knife designer, although I fantasize at times that I am...

Granted that most responders don't like choils in general, and specifically not on a Delica, we don't have to beat that horse (sorry, had to do it). If anyone wishes to offer objective pros and cons, I'd like to hear them.

Regards,
Michael

Team Innovation