Atlantic Salt for boaters

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jeffw920

Atlantic Salt for boaters

Post by jeffw920 »

Hi all, new to the forum but I've owned Spyderco knives for quite a while. I spend a lot of time on the water and always carry my atlantic salt. If there are any boaters on the forum you all are probably familiar with those deck plates for things like fuel or water filling. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else uses the "hump" around the thumb hole to open deck plates? I'm sure this is not a recommended use haha but my atlantic salt has been doing it for 7 years and has outlasted many purpose built deck plate keys. Just speaks to the quality of the construction.
NoFair

Re: Atlantic Salt for boaters

Post by NoFair »

Yep, but I use my pacific Salt. I open shackles with it as well :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I haven’t tried that yet on my boat with my Salts, but that's probably because I usually over-tighten the plates and need to use a key bar to break them free. :o ;)

On the other hand, I'd trust my handy Tusk to break them free. No doubt that little tank would do the job. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jeffw920

Post by jeffw920 »

Im sure it would!...NoFair: now I'm interested how do you open a shackle with it? Wedge the end of the shackle pin in the thumb hole and turn?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Between the scales at the pivot with the knife closed. For small shackles where you just need a bit more grip and leverage. No harm done and my Pac Salt is one of the first Spyderco made.. (Sal doesn't advise doing this btw, talked some sailing with him a few years ago ;) )
jeffw920

Post by jeffw920 »

haha nice. Yeah I can imagine these alternative uses aren't advised :rolleyes: . Both my atlantic and pacific are quite beat up but totally functional. I buy them to use as tools as opposed to collect I guess.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum.

Gail and I are sailors and I have often used my knives for all sorts of things I'm not supposed to do. :o

sal
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Same here. It's always the same, if I thought ahead I'd have a more appropriate tool with me, but I haven't so the knife in my pocket has to serve, whether that's to tap a drop-nose pin free at the bow roller, or to undo a shackle.
---------
Tony S
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, is there any estimated time of arrival for a larger version of the Tusk with a longer blade but made of the same basic steel and materials, or no? Just wondering. Thank you!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:Hi Jeff,

Gail and I are sailors and I have often used my knives for all sorts of things I'm not supposed to do. :o

sal
My parents do the same so I've ordered more Pac Salts (my dad uses his Sage II in the boat.., my mum has an old Boye folder)
Belasarius Jnr

Post by Belasarius Jnr »

Can I put this here? Had this one for four years or so and was my on-water carry until a Black/Black PE Pac Salt replaced it in my pocket (more versatile). Now it goes in the seabag to tackle larger diameter lines and going over the side (clear prop ect).Image
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Belasarius Jnr wrote:Can I put this here? Had this one for four years or so and was my on-water carry until a Black/Black PE Pac Salt replaced it in my pocket (more versatile). Now it goes in the seabag to tackle larger diameter lines and going over the side (clear prop ect).Image
Yes indeed! Love that picture. Especially of a model that's been loved and used. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal