Byrd Flight - Any chance of a black model in BD-1 steel

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Ashton

Byrd Flight - Any chance of a black model in BD-1 steel

Post by Ashton »

Finally after many years of just looking at them, I actually picked one up after being told they might be discontinued. Not sure if the that is true or not, but I really like this knife. Anyone know if (1) its being discontinued, or (2) if there are any chances of getting in with an little steel upgrade? (2.5) and then blacked out. Its a little tank of a knife!
sal

Re: Byrd Flight - Any chance of a black model in BD-1 steel

Post by sal »

Hi Ashton,

Welcome to our forum.

No new plans for the flight in the near future.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

You might want to get a 8Cr13 one Cerakoted. There are some people out there Cerakot-ing for a pretty reasonable price.

I don't know if BD-1 has a lot more edge retention, but BD1 seems to be more corrosion resistant and Cerakote will offer some added corrosion resistance.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

Cheers and thank you Sal for your response. And thanks Donut......That's not a bad idea. I have yet to have ANYTHING Cerakoted (or even Duracoated for that matter). Last I checked it the prices were going down though, and they even have 'do it yourself' kits - so I can make a mess of things. Hmmm..... I would be more willing to try it if I could take the knife apart.

Plenty of these Flight knives available still. Its funny how I have lots of 'high end' knives, but I really like this one.