Paramilitary serrated edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WCC

Paramilitary serrated edge

Post by WCC »

I believe Spyderco made two Paramilitary knives with serrated edges, being the C81GS (satin blade) and C81GSBK (black blade). What are your thoughts on them? I love the PM knives and also the serrated blades, so the combo seems like a perfect match or am I wrong?
Surfingringo

Re: Paramilitary serrated edge

Post by Surfingringo »

I would most certainly buy a fully serrated PM2!! Maybe they should offer that in Cruwear at the same time they offer the plain edge Cruwear PM2!! ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have one of the SE paras and i like it a lot. I would definitely buy a PM2 in full SE. They offer the native V in SE not sure why they won't bring it back for the para. Guess the market isn't there. My native will have to do for now.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:I would most certainly buy a fully serrated PM2!! Maybe they should offer that in Cruwear at the same time they offer the plain edge Cruwear PM2!! ;)
**** yeah! I'll take both.. I remember once holding on to a serrated PM1 for a night.
(the owner used it for work as a bicycle repair man and I was the bouncer at the club where something like that is absolutely not allowed and gave it back to him when he left)
Was a great knife, always wandered why there was never a serrated PM2.
I would love a 1:2 serration with 2/3 being serrated and still a decent part at the tip being plain edge.
(but I won't be picky when it comes out in Cruwear) :D
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

The PM2 would be one of my favorite models to be available in SE. I figure they just don't sell enough SE knives to justify making a run. Maybe a SE,sprint?
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I have two of the black/SE PM1s. I got one for $80 and the other for $75...and both are just slightly used. I have carried them a little, and the serrations are very aggressive and great for rope, in my experience. It's nice to have a comp lock Spydie with teeth.

palonej

Post by palonej »

I just looked at your pic Golden Spydie.....and my thumb started bleeding!!!
Majorly aggressive edge!!!
I have 2 PM2s, satin and black, and I'm thinking of sending one to Wiley's to have them make it SE.
I have an Endura with CE that seems to find my pocket more than PE for work.
Those teeth will go through just about anything!
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Joris Mo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I would most certainly buy a fully serrated PM2!! Maybe they should offer that in Cruwear at the same time they offer the plain edge Cruwear PM2!! ;)
**** yeah! I'll take both.. I remember once holding on to a serrated PM1 for a night.
(the owner used it for work as a bicycle repair man and I was the bouncer at the club where something like that is absolutely not allowed and gave it back to him when he left)
Was a great knife, always wandered why there was never a serrated PM2.
I would love a 1:2 serration with 2/3 being serrated and still a decent part at the tip being plain edge.
(but I won't be picky when it comes out in Cruwear) :D
SE Cruwear Para 2? Yes please.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

100% on board for this. Maybe when Para 2's start becoming a little more available spyderco will do this to juice sales a bit. The 3/4 to an inch plain tip would be my preference but I'll take any configuration or steel or handle color.

This platform would be the absolute ideal platform for serrations.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I am a fan of having a useful bit of pe at the tip but on a serrated model I would want to make sure that the main belly of the blade is still serrated. Not sure how much pe you can sneak into the tip without affecting the belly but I would think that about 5/8" of pe would work ok with the blade on the pm2. That ratio on the pm1 looks about right to me.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I agree with PE:SE ratio, looking at the pics of the PM1 I was already thinking a 1:3 ratio would be better than the previously mentioned 1:2.
(the PM2 does have more blade between the belly and the tip so also more space for some PE)
Believe that the serrated PM2 could be sort of an ultimate hard use edc, which is probably why it'd be hard to sell. Most people really hard using/'abusing' their blades will buy cheaper blades and most knife nuts won't do all that much hard use..

So far we're only a little bit into the 21st century but I think that the PM2 might be somewhat of an iconic edc like the Buck 110 was for the 2nd half of the 20th century, a serrated version should be a good version for a working knife.
(maybe even a combo edge, my CE Military is my favorite harder use folder)
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

Surfingringo wrote:I am a fan of having a useful bit of pe at the tip but on a serrated model I would want to make sure that the main belly of the blade is still serrated. Not sure how much pe you can sneak into the tip without affecting the belly but I would think that about 5/8" of pe would work ok with the blade on the pm2. That ratio on the pm1 looks about right to me.

100% agreed

The PM1 above looks like a perfect balance with just enough PE to do some fine detail cutting when needed and the rest is a business. I want one in a PM2 terribly bad.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

WCC

Post by WCC »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I have two of the black/SE PM1s. I got one for $80 and the other for $75...and both are just slightly used. I have carried them a little, and the serrations are very aggressive and great for rope, in my experience. It's nice to have a comp lock Spydie with teeth.

Wow, those are just awesome!
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Para1 SE is the holly grail of knives for me. I did carry a couple of them to Hawaii and served me unbelievably there (through Kalalau Trail, among others). One of my two Para1 lives in my car as an emergency cutting tool due to their reliability and the other one is my first choice as EDC.

Para1 PE/SE ratio is perfect for me. PE section is large enough to be serviceable. I do absolutely back Lance on his opinion on this.

I leave you a photo of my actual collection (downed to four knives), which won't be increased until the release of Para 3 or Para 2 SE.

Regards!
Attachments
image.jpg
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nice collection and interesting that all blades are virtually the same length. Out of curiosity, do you like the Native or Delica better is SE?
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

I do prefer either Delica or Native in SE over PE. Delica would be over PM1 if it would be USA made (s30v) and would have a bit thicker blade, or even native, whether it would be given with liners (I do like to feel some sturdiness).

For me, perfect blade length for a folding knife is delica's one. It means that I'm desesperately waiting for shorter paramilitary.

I used to have two SE para1 satin and another native, but they were gift to my brother in low, my cousin bs my father, to ensure they all well geared-up.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I thought about sending my para to the guy who does veff serrations. Ended up just trading my para for a custom Manix2 XL. Dat micarta doh :D
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

dubya3 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I am a fan of having a useful bit of pe at the tip but on a serrated model I would want to make sure that the main belly of the blade is still serrated. Not sure how much pe you can sneak into the tip without affecting the belly but I would think that about 5/8" of pe would work ok with the blade on the pm2. That ratio on the pm1 looks about right to me.

100% agreed

The PM1 above looks like a perfect balance with just enough PE to do some fine detail cutting when needed and the rest is a business. I want one in a PM2 terribly bad.
Let me jump on the bandwagon here. A bit of PE at the tip but not too much.
Any steel and any handle color would work for me. I would generally prefer if they were not sprints though to avoid the feeding frenzy and let enough be produced so they can get to users.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Where is JD? Hard for me to imagine a thread like this without him here to comment.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Agreed on the above... Personally I'd really love to see a Military with a serrated edge.

Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee