Protection while walking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
paladin

Protection while walking

Post by paladin »

I currently carry a Matriarch 2 while walking for exercise...figure that's good enough if things get "up close & personal"

Any suggestions for something for keeping critters at range...

Also, I am probably more at risk from 4 legged critters than the bipedal variety...

And FYI, handguns are off limits most places I walk...

BTW, I'm looking into some of those hiking poles...I feel silly asking....but....are there "tactical" types of these? :o

I realize there's a wealth of knowledge here, and I'd like to tap into it...thnx much ;)
OldHoosier62

Re: Protection while walking

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As much as I hate to steer anyone to Cold Steel....one of their Sjambok's is brutally effective on 2 or 4 legged problems. It is a extruded polymer plastic whip patterned after a rhino hide whip of the same name from Africa. I used one last year (in town) on a pit mix that had been unstoppable to non-lethal means, three swats from the sjambok and it was crawling away screaming and it prompted its owners to finally take action and install a 6 foot fence. Its two year rein of terror is over. No permanent damage to the animal.

Google and YouTube are your friends.

A few years ago I would have recommended Foxlabs 5.0 pepper spray but with the prevalence of substance abusers whose reaction to it is greatly diminished I have turned to impact weapons when guns and blades are not an option.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Kimber PepperBlaster II
Model No. LA98001
$39.95

Works on all legs 2 and 4.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

A good pepper spray like Sabre or Fox is versatile. I stopped a charging Rottweiler in his tracks with a few short bursts toward his snout.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep, any decent pepper spray should get the job done on most anything that can attack you. That stuff has come a long way over the years. Of course you probably already know, you never want to run from an animal especially dogs. It may sound crazy but one of the best things you can do is call a dog's bluff and act even more crazy and start running after them. My older brother did this once to a Doberman when we were kids, he ran up to it and punched it right in the nose and that dog took off yelping. It was a sight to see lol.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd throw another vote into pepper spray.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've never had a "up close and personal" encounter, thank God, but I have played with pepper spray a few times. :) Not to de-rail the thread, I'll just say that once upon a time, a long ago, my brother and I once found a can of pepper spray in our yard. (Probably dropped by a meter reader). Naturally, we sprayed the bejesus out of anything that moved. :eek: :rolleyes: My parents got involved and promptly confiscated the spray. Heck, it worked WELL while it lasted...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Few things work better for four-legged critters than a good canister of pepper-spray.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree with the pepper spray. There are good small ones designed for people that can fit on a keychain and there are larger ones for bears that can spray many feet and deliver a ton of spray, watch out for the wind though. A lot of people think that for the big bears pepper spray is better because you have a better chance of hitting your target.

If you must carry a knife for protection then this is my take on it. Knives like the Matriarch are designed for slashing and not for stabbing and this in my opinion makes them well suited for incapacitation by severing key connective tissue. For that reason I would say that they are better suited to use on people than animals. I believe that you would finish an animal off far faster and easier with a few well places punctures than with a few well placed slashes. I have read that throughout history militaries have had to train soldiers to thrust with their bayonets rather that slash with them which is apparently more instinctual because thrusting with a bayonet is so much more deadly. I do not know how true this is but I have read it more than once.

I have had only one encounter with a four legged critter and it happened so fast I didn't know what to do but what i did learn is to never underestimate the power of the tip of a hiking boot. I was hiking with my wife and my dog back in upstate NY in some dense woods when we heard a commotion coming up the trail. We stopped hiking and waited a second and then all of a sudden a baby fawn that was being chased by a coyote that was being chased by a crazy doe came flying full speed around the bend maybe 15 or 20 yards from us. As soon as the fawn saw us it turned 90 degrees into the woods and the doe followed but the coyote came straight at us. My wife had the dog which was a rott/pit mix (actually it was the Bearfacedkiller in my avatar) and she reared back ready as the coyote came barreling into us. Things got a little loud for a second and I kicked that coyote with everything I had in the ribs and it took of running. The whole thing happened so fast and then it was over. I couldn't find any bite marks or blood so we kept on hiking but man was it scary. Anyway, my point is that any animal under 50 pounds that ever tries to mess with me is gonna get one **** of boot.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Add me to the list of those who carry pepper spray as dog repellent. Of course wind direction and velocity can be an issue. Someone suggested replacing it with a boat horn like this http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety-Sup ... 1440098782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for "tactical hiking poles", the inexpensive "non-tactical" aluminum ones can be quite effective, but there's always Pat Crawford's Original Survival Staff.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For walking and defending against bipeds I would take a blackthorn cane to a Matriarch2 any day. Where a knife comes in handy is being able to put something that weighs about 3 ounces into your pocket (can't do that with a cane...).

For quadrupeds my gamble would certainly be a quality pepper spray. People say that isn't a guarantee but nothing is in life. :)

You might as well add a flashlight to the list. I'm not of the "self defense light" mindset but having something bright and compact is a great idea. Simply because you won't walk into crappy situations if you can see what's lurking in the shadows. You are also less likely to trip and fall. :p
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

If I had to choose one thing for walking or hiking, I would select a hiking stick or staff. You can cut your own from a sapling or branch. Crepemyrtle make good ones. It should be long enough to come up to about the middle of the ear.

In addition to providing protection from undesirable critters, it can also be used to aid crossing irregular surfaces, test footing or water depth and poling up or down steep slopes. Sweep foliage and spider webs out of the trail and flip debris out of the path. It's handy to lean on for a rest and if you are hunting it can serve as a mono-pod for steady aiming. And it gives your hands something to do.

A cane would be my next choice. Blackthorn is good but hard to come by these days. Hickory makes a good choice. With your walking shoes on, it should come up to your wrist. My Grandad converted his favorite putter to a cane after he was too old to play golf.

My neighbor gave me spray to use on her own unfriendly dog! I never sprayed her dog. Merely pointing the can backed him off. One night however, I had forgotten the can. I took my Case knife out of my pocket and without opening the blade, pointed it at him. He didn't know what it was, but he didn't want to find out what it was either and kept his distance.

It's been a slow day at the office.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Do you own golf clubs? A sand wedge would suck to get hit with. You can also hit pine cones for fun while you walk
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wow...I knew you guys would come thru with the goods! :D

Pepper Spray looks like a must-own...

David & Darby your stories were entertaining and helped me make the choice to get some spray, for sure....thanks!

That Pat Crawford staff is sure enough tactical and that guy's got good taste-- hiking in a tux :p ...thank you Paul

Blerv, I totally do not want to have to get close enough to any critter to be able to employ the Matriarch, but our thinking is totally in alignment as far as having something with a great utility:size ratio...hey, why NOT carry a knife? it almost disappears :)

Hoosier, I never knew about the Sjambok before you referenced it...been researching it ever since, fascinating stuff...much like a blade, it is negligible in mass & can be folded up...again I ask? why not have one in your "toolbox"...seems like a good option to keep critters at range. As for Cold Steel, I notice Lynn Thompson is passionate about what he's into, and it's infectious-- kudos to that! :D

Not a golfer, so that would entail purchasing something I'd never use for its intended purpose, but the thought was good...

Again, thanks & keep the ideas flowing...I'm enjoying soaking them in! :) :spyder: :)
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

If you shoot handguns you will really like the Kimber it indexes like a small handgun points like one and packs 2 shots of a solution of 10% OC (2.4% capsaicinoid content) with benzyl alcohol for viscosity. Delivery speed of 112 MPH keeps blasts on target, reducing the risk of blowback or drift. At just 4.2 ounces weight. The original (not shaped like a gun) which is what I have has a nice wide clip I have worn it with jeans and running shorts no problem. You can clip it almost anywhere or in a pocket.

https://youtu.be/XMmiLCdPckk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/YnWFJZkdB8Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If I were you I'd head on down to the dog pound and pick up a dog of your own. If you tell the staff what you are looking for I'm sure they will have the right dog for you. If your goal is to get exercise then walking with a dog helps a lot. It will give you a routine, walks in the morning and evening and on those cold winter days when you want to spend the day on the couch with a six pack you'll have to walk the dog instead. Not only is a hound from the pound free it'll also be a friend for life :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Just a bit of clarification, I don't recommend those tiny keychain canisters of pepper-spray that are good for little more than inspiring a very false sense of security. The bigger units that put out an actual spray instead of one lone stream, are far better when actually needed.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Monocrom wrote:Just a bit of clarification, I don't recommend those tiny keychain canisters of pepper-spray that are good for little more than inspiring a very false sense of security. The bigger units that put out an actual spray instead of one lone stream, are far better when actually needed.
Seconded, I had one I carried several years while riding my bicycle. Most all the time dogs respond to my voice commands, I can sound like the redneck in that trailers they are near, including vocabulary. :eek: One day my commands didn't have the desired effect so I aimed the little canister and pressed the trigger. About a drop of some liquid eased out the nozzle. Doh! I threw it at the dog. Lucky for me it distracted him enough for me to get away clean.

Before relying on any spray I'd get several and test them to see how they work. For walking, a walking stick and a large pepper spray would do. Some locations are likely to have pit bulls or other vicious dogs on the lose, I would take further precautions there. Dog attacks have caused several deaths and one local woman lost an arm in an attack. Save the pit bull defense, it can be any dog or worse yet several dogs. If your pet is lose and not on your property, it's a threat, not a pet.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Today my wife and I were walking on a dirt road in town. Most of our roads are dirt. Anyway, there were two dogs out, one was feeling it's oats. Looked like a Great Dane crossed with something smaller. He couldn't make up his mind to be curious or aggressive. I thought he was a mite too aggressive. He tended to want to get behind us and take a run. Not barking and growling like he had made up his mind, but barking some and not wagging much. I gave him some voice commands and threatened him with my walking stick which made him stop a few feet away. I had both sticks in my left hand and my right on my M&P 9mm, just in case. We got far enough away from his territory that he stopped.

I'll be carrying my spray next time I'm out. Rather spray them than shoot them, but before I'll let a dog attack me or my wife, I will shoot it dead.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

A good Flame Thrower...will work to keep most things at abeyance, and it will light the way, (blerv: how many candlepower Lumens is that?) Just strap one on your back and take a stroll.....Works for me!.....Doc:)