Ex Para2 fans converted to Manix2 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Ex Para2 fans converted to Manix2 LW

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I'm sort of in this club, but the timing screwed it all up for me.

I think when I started, the Para 1 was out and it was a nice knife, but it wasn't on the Para 2 or Manix 2 level.

The Manix 2 came out (standard production), I got one, loved it. I think I skipped the Carbon Fiber version because it was too expensive. The Blue and Green sprints came out, I jumped on some long pre-orders. The Sprints with skeletonized liners came out, I loved them even more for being lighter and felt just as strong. I think I abandoned the Manix 2 Production models favoring the light weight.

After that, the Para 2 came out and I never really fell in love with it because I was already knee deep in Manix 2's.

I had a similar start with all this. I started out with the Para 1 which I loved dearly, and if memory serves me right my Para 1 actually replaced my first Manix 2. My love of the Para 2 was a result of the improvements it made over the Para 1, and since the 1 had replaced my original Manix 2, it was just completely off my radar once I got a Para 2. It really wasn't until I had both knives in my hands that I realized how much better the Manix was for me. I like to think that years of perspective tell the tale in the truest way. There are impulse buys that I've fallen out of love with, but when you come back around to the same model after literally shunning it off for other knives, then you know there's something there that suits you. It's a lot like women LOL.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My first spydie was a PM2, I only got my first Manix years later. It was a sprint because I did not like the hollow grind and heavy full liners on the production model. The LW version is impressive in terms of blade to weight ratio.

I am not a huge fan of all that jimping on the Manix. In a hot climate I rarely use gloves, and have found the jimping quite abrasive in hard cuts. I have removed most of it on the LW and Cruwear versions.

I like the Manix line a lot, but still prefer the PM2 for its comp lock, easy carry, nested liners and fine tip.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:There are impulse buys that I've fallen out of love with, but when you come back around to the same model after literally shunning it off for other knives, then you know there's something there that suits you. It's a lot like women LOL.
The fact that you would leave a "model" is surprising. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Something we would probably all agree on: choice is great. :spyder:
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Dagnabit... I'm still getting used to my PM2, then I have to go and read this!!! Do I ? Don't I? To Buy? or Not to Buy? Y'all make it so easy for me :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:Something we would probably all agree on: choice is great. :spyder:

Yeah man, talk about "first world problems"...here we are debating on which is better out of two dang near perfect folders.
WCC

Post by WCC »

toxophilus wrote:Dagnabit... I'm still getting used to my PM2, then I have to go and read this!!! Do I ? Don't I? To Buy? or Not to Buy? Y'all make it so easy for me :)
Buy them all I say!! :D
palonej

Post by palonej »

I like how you think WCC!!!
I have 2 Para 2s and 2 Manix 2s.......none of them are going anywhere!!!
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

toxophilus wrote:Dagnabit... I'm still getting used to my PM2, then I have to go and read this!!! Do I ? Don't I? To Buy? or Not to Buy? Y'all make it so easy for me :)

Did we mention the M2 XL v Military lol :D
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Love my S110V Manix lw and thought for awhile that it might kick the PM2 out of my pocket, mainly because of the weight, but it's just too big and wide in the pocket.
Still praying that a PM2 lw will happen someday (if it would even be possible..) but until then I'll stick to my PM2 with the bit of extra weight but the much better design for me.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Joris Mo wrote: Still praying that a PM2 lw will happen someday

Any lighter and it will float away what is it now a weighty 3.9oz really I don't think it can get lighter with the compression lock I don't know what the weight difference is between FRN and G10 but I bet not enough to make any noticeable difference. Manix2 LW is 3oz. Delica is 2.3

Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390. If I just keep chanting it will happen right! :cool:
Ashton

Post by Ashton »

These are my two favorites as well. I tell myself that the Manix2 LW is 'only' my light weight/light duty knife - but it just happens to be what I always grab and carry. At first I never liked the design and stayed away from it. When the S110v came out I thought I'd try it. But now the Manix 2 is probably my favorite, and gets the most carry time. I love the PM2 though, and it has been (for the past few years) my favorite, and I'll still carry it whenever I can. Odd to say that I have never been much of an Endura or Delica fan, and love the Stretch! I just like the wire clip on the Manix better for lightweight carry. So, before I got the Manix2 LW, the FRN Stretch was my 'light duty' knife. Still would like a wire-clipped Stretch.

That Manix2 LW kinda kicked BOTH the Stretch and the PM2 out. The manix 2 might be a little wide, but with that nice wire clip and light weight its (in most situations) barley noticeable in the pocket.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Mic1 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote: Still praying that a PM2 lw will happen someday

Any lighter and it will float away what is it now a weighty 3.9oz really I don't think it can get lighter with the compression lock I don't know what the weight difference is between FRN and G10 but I bet not enough to make any noticeable difference. Manix2 LW is 3oz. Delica is 2.3

Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390 Manix2 M390. If I just keep chanting it will happen right! :cool:
That's why I doubt wether it would be "possible", I'm sure it would be but I doubt it would be worth the effort. I presume the weight loss would mainly be the difference between G10 and FRN because it would still need liners but it might end up somewhere between the PM2 and Manix lw in weight which would be fine with me. :)
The weight of the PM2 is great but the main reason I occasionally carry the Manix lw for a day is that that one does nearly float away.
(but still seems to be very capable of some pretty hard use)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

elena86 wrote:I was and still am a Para2 fan but... when Manix2 LW was released and I balanced one in my hand, something happened( it was in CTS-BD1 steel with black FRCP handle).I was never a fan of Manix design and platform and I never bought one ever since.It was too bulky and too heavy for my taste and for my pocket.Maybe because the first Manix that I tested was a G10 Manix2 with a 154CM hollow grind blade.I moved away and bought another Para2 :).But that LW Manix2 was an epiphany for me.It was not mine, but the guy who owned it wanted to sell it.I asked permission to carry it for one or two days and he agreed.I am not an OCD buyer but by the end of the two days I just knew I had to buy the knife.I came to apreciate the great ergos behind the choil of the Manix and even the full leaf shape blade with that slight curvature of the cutting edge.And the name doesn't do justice to the knive.They should've named it the Featherweight Manix2 :).Later on, I purchased a CPM Cruwear Manix2 sprint and the LW S110V version and things became even more complicated for my beloved flawless blue G10 Para2 in M390 :o. Interesting enough, I watched quite a few youtube reviews and read a few blog reviews on the LW Manix2 and those guys declare that they were Para2 fans but the LW Manix2 platform changed the "Manix paradigma" for them also,if I may say so.I'm not declaring myself a "converted" but from a former Manix " hater" I became a Manix2 admirer.Miracles do happen in the Spyderworld :eek:
Happy to take that M390 Para off your hands since you don't like it anymore.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
elena86 wrote:I was and still am a Para2 fan but... when Manix2 LW was released and I balanced one in my hand, something happened( it was in CTS-BD1 steel with black FRCP handle).I was never a fan of Manix design and platform and I never bought one ever since.It was too bulky and too heavy for my taste and for my pocket.Maybe because the first Manix that I tested was a G10 Manix2 with a 154CM hollow grind blade.I moved away and bought another Para2 :).But that LW Manix2 was an epiphany for me.It was not mine, but the guy who owned it wanted to sell it.I asked permission to carry it for one or two days and he agreed.I am not an OCD buyer but by the end of the two days I just knew I had to buy the knife.I came to apreciate the great ergos behind the choil of the Manix and even the full leaf shape blade with that slight curvature of the cutting edge.And the name doesn't do justice to the knive.They should've named it the Featherweight Manix2 :).Later on, I purchased a CPM Cruwear Manix2 sprint and the LW S110V version and things became even more complicated for my beloved flawless blue G10 Para2 in M390 :o. Interesting enough, I watched quite a few youtube reviews and read a few blog reviews on the LW Manix2 and those guys declare that they were Para2 fans but the LW Manix2 platform changed the "Manix paradigma" for them also,if I may say so.I'm not declaring myself a "converted" but from a former Manix " hater" I became a Manix2 admirer.Miracles do happen in the Spyderworld :eek:
So generous ! :D
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

elena86 wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
So generous ! :D
That's me, all about helping others.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I carry a manix 2 lw to work almost every day for almot a year and sold my pm2 after a few months.

Im a convert and didn't even know it.

I still prefer my enduras.
Also
I should have bought a combo edge.