Haven't seen much Stretch vs Stretch 2 talk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Haven't seen much Stretch vs Stretch 2 talk?

Post by twinboysdad »

i have only held the new G10 Stretch 2, so can't really weigh in on actual use. How do those with both like the new model vs the old stand by? I know it certainly looks bigger side by side
SG89

Re: Haven't seen much Stretch vs Stretch 2 talk?

Post by SG89 »

https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... omparison/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If I'm totally honest, the first Stretch (and specifically my STR customized one) is still my favorite. Fits my hand perfectly while taking up the absolute minimum of pocket space a 3.5" bladed folder can. The CF, FRN, and NGF version, (not sure whether to call them collectively "Stretch 1.5's" or "second generation Stretches") just reduced the fantastic blade to handle length ratio it provided in order to accommodate the same clip used with the Delica and dozens of other models, with no discernible benefit. The new G-10 Stretch 2, with it's still longer handle, reduces the blade/handle ratio even further. but at least doing so does make it more accommodating of larger hands.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

The FRN Stretch isn't my favorite and the new Stretch looks like a step in the wrong direction for my tastes ... so no excitement here. Plenty of other stuff to be excited about ...

Gordon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I want one but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I really wish this one was a little more affordable. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I want one but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I really wish this one was a little more affordable. :(
+1
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I get that, besides being strong for its weight, Spyderco's FRN is grippy, not least because its expensive molds are well designed.

But, rather like my feelings for the PM2, while I respect FRN (and have a bunch of it), I don't love it. I tend to prefer heft and am happy with G10.

Thus, I much like Stretches and their graceful lines but love the new one, especially with Sal's tweaks to curves and choil.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I want one but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I really wish this one was a little more affordable. :(
+1
+2 .......especially with the weak CAD dollar.

I will probably get one before they sell out but will wait till the end to see if the elusive CF ever shows up......because not only am I dealing with the cost of the knife......I will also have to pay for some custom scale work to replace the brown G10. This would probably turn it into one of my favourite knives but at about $280 CAD right now plus maybe another $75-$100 for scales......it will be a pricey endeavor.

Hard to justify with so many others that I would like to purchase right now.......so I am hoping that either CA interest rates go up or the price of oil goes up.....both of which will improve our dollar
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Why would you have to replace the brown scale? Just that offensive to you or is it texture of G10 vs CF?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

No, I like both G10 and CF.......I am just not a fan of brown G10. Others like it and all the more power to them......I don't like it and would prefer a CF version.....or alternate colour G10. But if I were to buy a brown G10 Stretch and modify it then I would be quite happy with some stabilized burl handles......just a little pricey to have it done.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

I used to only like G10 scales. I even bought a Manix 2 S110V/FRN and gave it to my son-in-law because I didn't like the scales. They reminded me of large Lego blocks. Then I bought my first Stretch VG-10/FRN. Then a Stretch with ZDP-189/FRN. Then another Stretch VG-10/FRN. I really like the way FRN is done on those knives, mainly the radiusing on the edges. I eventually bought another Manix 2 S110V/FRN, but I still don't like the edges of the scales. Stretch FRN scales are a whole 'nother matter.

I was gifted a Stretch 2 with the brown G10 scales for Father's Day. Despite my preference for G10 scales I really don't like them on the Stretch 2. The handle is too bulky and blocky on the edges for my liking. I'm looking forward to a future Stretch 2 with FRN scales. I just hope they're contoured and edged like those on the original Stretch and not like those on the Manix 2.

I hope any future Stretch 2s have more aggressive jimping, like on a PM2.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I do like the choil on the Stretch 2. It could even have a deeper choil as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by delphidoc on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I prefer the original Stretch. I don't care for the new brown one. The original was perfect. The change was unnecessary.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David Lowry wrote:I prefer the original Stretch. I don't care for the new brown one. The original was perfect. The change was unnecessary.
For you, and me, it was unnecessary (and perhaps even counter productive). But I suspect that, like me, you have relatively small hands. Quite a few people complained that their hands felt cramped when holding the CF/FRN/NGF versions of the Stretch. For them, the Stretch 2's larger and somewhat less structured handle may allow them to enjoy carrying a Stretch.
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still on the fence but very interested. I think the new handle will definitely benefit me, as the current 2 is a bit tight behind the choil. I'm also down for a G10 Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

It might be that you are just used to the old one? Do you have one of the new one's?

I much prefer the new one, but I'm biased and I designed the knife for my hands. In fact I'm wearing one today.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Stretch was one of the first models that caught my interest when I got into Spydercos. I still remember the first time I handled one on a trip to Knifework's b&m store in Louisiana. I wanted badly to like the knife but just could not get it to sit in my hand right. When I use a knife with a finger choil, i am almost always holding it in the choked up grip with finger in the choil. I found that when I held the original that way it just felt a little awkward. The handle felt too wide there. Anyway, it was enough for me to just forget about the design.

When the new Stretch came out and I heard that one of the changes was a deeper choil, I was interested to get one in hand. I have now had a couple of chances to handle it...once at Blade and once on a pilgrimage to the SFO. My thoughts? The new design melts into my hand in a way that the original never did. The improvements in ergonomics are a night and day difference in my opinion. Once I handled the new model, the Stretch moved from my forgotten models list to my highly desired list. If I had more money it would be on my "must have" list. :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:
David Lowry wrote:I prefer the original Stretch. I don't care for the new brown one. The original was perfect. The change was unnecessary.
For you, and me, it was unnecessary (and perhaps even counter productive). But I suspect that, like me, you have relatively small hands. Quite a few people complained that their hands felt cramped when holding the CF/FRN/NGF versions of the Stretch. For them, the Stretch 2's larger and somewhat less structured handle may allow them to enjoy carrying a Stretch.
Hey Paul. Been a while. Nice to see ya.

I have large hands actually but for some reason the hole feels like it's in the wrong place. I should check actually because I know the magic number is 1.1" from the pivot screw it seems. I never felt cramped but I liked the hook on the end for the pinkie.

sal wrote:Hi David,

It might be that you are just used to the old one? Do you have one of the new one's?

I much prefer the new one, but I'm biased and I designed the knife for my hands. In fact I'm wearing one today.

sal
Sal,

You may very well be right. I have a ZDP Stretch in FRN that I love. I don't have a brown G10 one but I held one in a local Fin, Feather, Fur Outfitters. It just seems like the dimention between the pivot and the center of the hole is different. It feels different when opening. Maybe it's the position of my hands when I hold the new one. Not sure. I love the G10, the steel and the craftsmanship. It's awesome. Maybe I am just used to the old one and if I carried a new one for a while I'd like it too. Maybe it'll grow on me like the Para 2 has. I hated it for a while but now I prefer it much more than the original Para. You're wise man and I appreciate your posts on this forum and all you do for us end users.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

David Lowry wrote: Hey Paul. Been a while. Nice to see ya.

I have large hands actually but for some reason the hole feels like it's in the wrong place. I should check actually because I know the magic number is 1.1" from the pivot screw it seems. I never felt cramped but I liked the hook on the end for the pinkie.
Good seeing you too, David. It appears that you blew my theory out of the water. :o Still, I know exactly what you mean about a models that feel like the Spyderhole is in the wrong place. My theory on that, which may be equally wrong, is that the "magic number" is only part of the equation. The other important factors are your thumb length and the way the backstrap of the closed knife positions itself in your hand when you pick it up. Those two combine to make the arc your thumb must travel when opening the knife either feel 100% natural, or something less.

As for getting use to it, FWIW, I've been carrying the black palm Stretch 2 that Steve Ketchen customized for me quite a bit over the last two months. It feels more natural now that it did when I first got it, but it still doesn't feel quite as "perfect" for my hand as the earlier ones and I'm not sure it ever will. It's not "off" by much, certainly nowhere near as much as the R which always makes me feel as if I need a variable length thumb, but just enough to be noticeable.

Nothing works for everyone. I suspect that, just like there are still folks who think the Delica 3's handle feels better in their hand than the Delica 4's, there will be those of us who favor the Stretch 1 and 1.5's handles over the Stretch 2's and those who find the "feel" of the Stretch 2 a marked improvement over the older ones.
Paul
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I think you guys are onto something. A perfect fit is heaven, but it's very personal. For me, that's the handle on the Centofante 3/4, and oddly enough, the Assist. It's hard to imagine two more different handles, but both of those become part of my hand in a way that other models never did.

Gordon
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Deacon wrote:
David Lowry wrote: Hey Paul. Been a while. Nice to see ya.

Good seeing you too, David. It appears that you blew my theory out of the water. :o Still, I know exactly what you mean about a models that feel like the Spyderhole is in the wrong place. My theory on that, which may be equally wrong, is that the "magic number" is only part of the equation. The other important factors are your thumb length and the way the backstrap of the closed knife positions itself in your hand when you pick it up. Those two combine to make the arc your thumb must travel when opening the knife either feel 100% natural, or something less.

As for getting use to it, FWIW, I've been carrying the black palm Stretch 2 that Steve Ketchen customized for me quite a bit over the last two months. It feels more natural now that it did when I first got it, but it still doesn't feel quite as "perfect" for my hand as the earlier ones and I'm not sure it ever will. It's not "off" by much, certainly nowhere near as much as the R which always makes me feel as if I need a variable length thumb, but just enough to be noticeable.

Nothing works for everyone. I suspect that, just like there are still folks who think the Delica 3's handle feels better in their hand than the Delica 4's, there will be those of us who favor the Stretch 1 and 1.5's handles over the Stretch 2's and those who find the "feel" of the Stretch 2 a marked improvement over the older ones.

I think you are spot on. I guess I like all of the Stretch handles....Ijust like the orginal the best. I also like the original jimping (the large steps) as was on the SS model. I'm 42 now, and the older I get the less I like change. ;)