Tell me why I need a Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
senorsquare

Re: Tell me why I need a Sebenza

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:No man, never did buy one. Came really close though. My general disdain for thumb studs that don't also double as stop pins (so as to be completely out of the way of slicing) is the big reason I passed on one...
I'm a bit late to this thread, but if you ever get the itch to try out some of that CRK precision etc. I would recommend the Umnumzann. Of all the CRK's the 'zaan is definitely my favorite. The thumbstuds double as stop pins and the hollow grind with a harpoon tip is just a thing of beauty. I also liked the simplicity of the knife as it is held together at the pivot and by one standoff at the butt. It's a sweet knife if you can find a deal on one.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I'm curious Dave, did anything ever come of this?
No man, never did buy one. Came really close though. My general disdain for thumb studs that don't also double as stop pins (so as to be completely out of the way of slicing) is the big reason I passed on one. I'd also like a different steel than S35VN for this price, but if the thumb studs were oriented differently so they nest against the handle when opened, I would almost surely own a large Insingo right now despite my preference of higher carbide steels...suffice to say if they ever put a thumb hole in one, my wallet will be bleed dry. It's just an unfortunate situation where I admire the heck out of the machining and tight tolerances that go into them, but they just aren't for me. For ~$500 I can't make compromises in what I like.
My sentiments exactly. Thumbstud only is pretty much a deal killer for me on any folder...even the ones that double as stop pins.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer the hole opener to studs but it certainly impacts some blade shapes. That and it makes for a fairly wide knife in pocket.

Spyderco will always be my #1 brand. I do finally get why people have gravitated to knives like the Sebbie though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:I prefer the hole opener to studs but it certainly impacts some blade shapes. That and it makes for a fairly wide knife in pocket.

Spyderco will always be my #1 brand. I do finally get why people have gravitated to knives like the Sebbie though.

Between my 2 main EDC's, the Military and the Seb 25 the Military is a lot bigger in pocket than the 25.

While the cutting edge is very close to the same, overall thickness is also very close while the Military blade is thicker (Spine Thickness).

6 to 1 or 1/2 dozen to another.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Good points Blerv, and thanks for the photos Jim. Now stop it!! Good lord, I buy way too many knives as it is. If I start considering all the thumb stud knives that I have excluded up until now....yikes. :rolleyes: :p
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Surfingringo wrote:Good points Blerv, and thanks for the photos Jim. Now stop it!! Good lord, I buy way too many knives as it is. If I start considering all the thumb stud knives that I have excluded up until now....yikes. :rolleyes: :p

Lance,

Well you know. :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

I had an umnumzaan for a while. cool knife but I couldn't stand the thumb studs and s35vn was disappointing after using 20cp, s90v, m390, and all them with my spydies.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I find if I start to get the urge to buy a knife, I can buy some bullets, shoot them and be over it.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I can't see how they justify the price. I looked at some at three different booths at the 2013 Blade Show and they were all so tight that I never found one I could open so that ended my fascination with these knives
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I went through the 'I need a CRK' phase about a year ago, and almost bought one. I handled all of them at a local store one day, but I left feeling underwhelmed. Lack of ergos, thumb studs and price were the biggest turn-offs. I can see why some people rave about them, but I have made peace with the fact that they are just not my thing.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's the precision machining that sucks me in. That sort of detail usually grabs my attention but the rest of the package isn't for me. I don't feel there's a large enough lack of precision in my Spyderco knives to justify the difference in price especially considering the steel options.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I can't see how they justify the price. I looked at some at three different booths at the 2013 Blade Show and they were all so tight that I never found one I could open so that ended my fascination with these knives
If it was a 25 or an Umnumzaan maybe the pivots were just tight also there is a bit of a break in period. I hear people say that they are hard to open and that thumb studs are a pain but as long as you don't put too much pressure on the lock bar and give them a little time to break in they really open pretty easily. Here is a 21, 25 and Umnumzaan all of which I think you would find pretty smooth. The 21 is the easiest of the 3, the detent on the 25 and zaan is quite strong but they are like glass once you overcome the detent.

Last edited by DRKBC on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:I don't feel there's a large enough lack of precision in my Spyderco knives to justify the difference in price especially considering the steel options.
I think you nailed it here, in one sentence ! :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
harronek

Post by harronek »

I owned a small Seb 21 For awhile , but it got Stolen when our house was burgled last Christmas .
Up until then I had a love hate relationship with it .
When it got stolen it sealed the deal for me and I didn't contemplate for one second replacing it with another CRK .
I'm glad I owned one so that the itch has been scratched .
My Gayle Bradley has given much more pleasure and pride of ownership .
I find that I as i get older I appreciate finely crafted tools more and more .
The Seb I had was finely crafted , but it never quite fit the role of tool for my requirements .

Ken
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:It's the precision machining that sucks me in. That sort of detail usually grabs my attention but the rest of the package isn't for me. I don't feel there's a large enough lack of precision in my Spyderco knives to justify the difference in price especially considering the steel options.
They encourage people to take their knives apart because you literally can put it back together, while drinking, and it works the first time. That speaks to the manufacturing tolerances. While I don't think it's necessary for knife maintenance (none of my Spydies have been taken apart besides the regrinds) it's certainly impressive.

The steel perspective makes sense. Getting "stuck" with CPM-S35vn as the only option is a bit odd given our experience with brands like Spyderco that give you the moon. In practice though, despite the internet hate on "soft heat treating", the blades are ground well and hold up for my daily uses. Plus, since I'm constantly touching my knives to the 701 Profile Set (brown) it's just a game of initial sharpness. If I was processing yards of cardboard and rope until dull I'm sure my tool of choice would differ.

If you don't dig the designs I totally understand that. I bought the TiLock because the other knives were just a little bland for me. My bro has two Insingos and the blade shape is really great. I think other makers like Ferrum Forge and Strider offer mid-priced offerings that have a bit more flair. My FF Fortis B has CTS-204cp and locks up like a tank, I recall it cost $550. If you took a Spyderco flipper and DNA Spiced a Sebenza it would make the Fortis.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I still don't need one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:I still don't need one.
We don't "need' much in this world. Your resistance to peer pressure is admirable sir! :D.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's the precision machining that sucks me in. That sort of detail usually grabs my attention but the rest of the package isn't for me. I don't feel there's a large enough lack of precision in my Spyderco knives to justify the difference in price especially considering the steel options.
They encourage people to take their knives apart because you literally can put it back together, while drinking, and it works the first time. That speaks to the manufacturing tolerances. While I don't think it's necessary for knife maintenance (none of my Spydies have been taken apart besides the regrinds) it's certainly impressive.

The steel perspective makes sense. Getting "stuck" with CPM-S35vn as the only option is a bit odd given our experience with brands like Spyderco that give you the moon. In practice though, despite the internet hate on "soft heat treating", the blades are ground well and hold up for my daily uses. Plus, since I'm constantly touching my knives to the 701 Profile Set (brown) it's just a game of initial sharpness. If I was processing yards of cardboard and rope until dull I'm sure my tool of choice would differ.

If you don't dig the designs I totally understand that. I bought the TiLock because the other knives were just a little bland for me. My bro has two Insingos and the blade shape is really great. I think other makers like Ferrum Forge and Strider offer mid-priced offerings that have a bit more flair. My FF Fortis B has CTS-204cp and locks up like a tank, I recall it cost $550. If you took a Spyderco flipper and DNA Spiced a Sebenza it would make the Fortis.

CRK is doing S35VN at 59-60 HRC and that's fine. :)

Edge retention is on par with S30V at 60 HRC from my own testing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not saying I wouldn't like the S35VN, just that I would also like options. I understand that the steel fits the knife and model quite well, and I'd be ok with that. If I could get a large Insingo with a flipper...oh man I'd jump all over that. One step further, if I could get a 25 with a flipper, without thumb studs at all, and an Insingo blade, I'd probably buy one right now.
GronK

Post by GronK »

There's room for both. I love the solid reliability of my Sebenzas but I love the unusual and leading edge designs and materials Spyderco uses as well.