What is Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HoB

What is Wharncliffe

Post by HoB »

Can anybody tell me what the exact definition of a Wharncliffe blade is? What are the typical characteristics?
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha HoB!

Just look at the Spyderco Kiwi for general blade shape and characteristics...Case Knives also has some good examples...BTW, it's one of my fave's! (Blade style that is!)

God will put you over...if you let Him! Mark 11:23!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Basic definition is a straight edged blade with a sharp point. Fairly popular shape in whittlers. Generally have a curved spine, although most would consider the Ronin and Yojimbo to be wharnciffles and I've heard some refer to the Xacto #11 blade as a wharncliffe. Great shape for pull cutting and for slicing, works ok as a "mini cleaver" for chopping and mincing, but is just about useless for push cutting. I find plain edged wharncliffes with a Spanish notch, like the Kiwi, or a raised tang, like some of the CRKT wharncliffe KISSes, to be the easiest knives to sharpen.

Paul
zeus

Post by zeus »

Well, a photo is worth a thousand words:

http://www.customknives.com/pix129.htm
mystillwater

Post by mystillwater »

a gift from the good Lord. my favorite blade style. i use a knife maybe 120 times a day, mostly to open ups and cut boxes and i have found this general blade shape to be the best for the job.

-----collecter/user/trader----- (rotation) BM 710BT, BM940, BM 921, BM 551S, BM 180D2 Ltd., Dodo PE, Spyderhawk Ltd. PE, Endura SS PE, Delica FRN SE, REKAT Pioneer Tanto PE, Kershaw Chive (Want List) CF Lefty Delica PE, Grey Calypso Jr. PE, Paramilitary PE, BM 710HS, BM 732, BM 942, BM 960, BM 210, Emerson Commander, Microtech Amphibian, Chax Cutter's Delight
HoB

Post by HoB »

Thanks so much for the answers!

Hey Deacon, seems you are waiting as impatiently for the Yojimbo as me :-), which is were the question really originated.

Thanks again, guys!