Autonomy

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
squatch

Autonomy

Post by squatch »

2 1/2 year Autonomy backorder made it!
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Evil D

Re: Autonomy

Post by Evil D »

Man, really wish I could buy one of these. I'd also love one in plain edge. That's a nice looking wharnie.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:Man, really wish I could buy one of these. I'd also love one in plain edge. That's a nice looking wharnie.
I am very tempted.

Not sure how much I would actually use it though.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Evil D wrote:Man, really wish I could buy one of these. I'd also love one in plain edge. That's a nice looking wharnie.
I am very tempted.

What really sucks for me is I wouldn't know until I got it in my hands, and I can't even handle it. I've never really been into automatics, but I've always felt like for the Spyderco versions I might make an exception. And, given my experience with H1 and serrations and this type of blade, I think I'd use the heck out of it.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Evil D wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
I am very tempted.

What really sucks for me is I wouldn't know until I got it in my hands, and I can't even handle it. I've never really been into automatics, but I've always felt like for the Spyderco versions I might make an exception. And, given my experience with H1 and serrations and this type of blade, I think I'd use the heck out of it.

I am not a big auto fan either but as you say a Spyderco version has my interest.

Handled a ton of autos since they are legal for Soldiers to have and really they are no.faster for me then a spydie hole model. Maybe a little more consistent since there is no flick.to.mess up but how often do you need a knife right now. Never for me.

Yet.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

All I know is that I really would like to get one. :) And soon, I hope.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I broke down and ordered one from knifeworks and got the shipped notice today, $19 cheaper than BHQ, my first auto.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

farnorthdan wrote:I broke down and ordered one from knifeworks and got the shipped notice today, $19 cheaper than BHQ, my first auto.
I did the exact same thing today. I've been mulling it over for a few days and couldn't pass it up for 190 shipped!
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
I am very tempted.

That's my problem, I can buy and own an auto (as long as it's on my private residence) but can't actually carry one. I've had numerous autos and they never stay in my collection too long for that reason but my local dealer just got a big spydie shipment in at request and they'll price match the big online retailers so I'm tempted just to have a automatic spydie in the collection.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Got my Autonomy today. It fires open like a rocket! Made me all nostalgic, so I figured I'd break out some of my old gear to welcome it home.ImageImage
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The big circle is the opening button?

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:The big circle is the opening button?
Yes, it's designed (i'm guessing) for ease of opening with neoprene gloves. That was one of the issues we had with our old auto, the actuator was small and somewhat flush making it hard to open.
Mine takes a fair amount of force to depress and therefore deploy the blade. I'm confident that it won't open on its own, plus there is a safety.

Dan
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Very good, that has always been something that turns me off about a lot of auto.

A small button defeats the purpose of an auto imo.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice pictures, Dan. That Autonomy looks right at home with your gear. By the way, thank you much for your service! :)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

OldSarSwmr

Thank you for the photos that put the Autonomy in context and for your service.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Thanks all. I wonder if I can sign up again, just long enough to get the orange issue version? I'm just really happy that Spyderco took the time to develop a great piece of gear for the Swimmer program. To think, when I started we had a fixed blade, you couldn't reach, and a J-Hook!
I was thinking of doing a comparison of the original issue auto we went to but not sure if that would be inline with shiny footprints?

Dan
swigert

Post by swigert »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Thanks all. I wonder if I can sign up again, just long enough to get the orange issue version? I'm just really happy that Spyderco took the time to develop a great piece of gear for the Swimmer program. To think, when I started we had a fixed blade, you couldn't reach, and a J-Hook!
I was thinking of doing a comparison of the original issue auto we went to but not sure if that would be inline with shiny footprints?

Dan
I think it would be within the limits of it was a comparison not a review of you ripping the other company. I'd love to see the first auto.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

swigert wrote:
OldSarSwmr wrote:Thanks all. I wonder if I can sign up again, just long enough to get the orange issue version? I'm just really happy that Spyderco took the time to develop a great piece of gear for the Swimmer program. To think, when I started we had a fixed blade, you couldn't reach, and a J-Hook!

Dan
I think it would be within the limits of it was a comparison not a review of you ripping the other company. I'd love to see the first auto.
I agree with Swigert. I think it would be neat to hear a review of both knives from the perspective of someone with real-world experience on the issue. :)

OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

SpyderNut wrote:
swigert wrote:

Dan
I agree with Swigert. I think it would be neat to hear a review of both knives from the perspective of someone with real-world experience on the issue. :)
I have posted a pictoral comparison in the Restricted Models section if interested. Not much of a review but plenty of pictures. :o :)
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Waiting for these to come back at KW. Very very intriguing design. Must acquire.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run