Good Knife for Lawn Care?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DAYWALKER

Re: Good Knife for Lawn Care?

Post by DAYWALKER »

SpyderNut wrote:
Hee hee hee! :D Yep, I thought something looked odd when I saw Vampyrewolf posting. ;)
Aloha SpyderNut,

Roger that! When I saw Pat's name, that's when I looked at the date of the thread! :o

Be safe!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

DutchBlades wrote:
I never even noticed it was 13 years old! :p
And yes, for hard use a generic folder is the easiest solution.
Always carry a spydie but I tend to carry a cheaper blade as hard-user at work.
Alohallo DutchBlades,

Well sir, then that makes both of us! :o

As for "generic folder"...ya know...some of these are not all that bad. I would think it safe to assume they come outta the same factory where "some other BRAND knives" come from. By generic I do not mean the ones shown on late night TV, where you can order 200 different pieces for $199.99... :rolleyes:

Agree on the cheaper blade as a hard user...OR for those, "Hey, who has a knife?" moments. :p

Be safe!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm no knife snob and have nothing against using cheaper brands. I find, however, that the salt line hits the sweet spot for me between affordability and performance. Man, I can get a tasman or a salt 1 for just over $50. When I factor in performance and longevity due to higher quality and complete corrosion resistance, I find it a better value even at an extra $20-$30 over the cheapos. And at $55 it is still a knife that if I lose it in the line of duty, I can just go buy another one without losing any sleep over it.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm no knife snob and have nothing against using cheaper brands. I find, however, that the salt line hits the sweet spot for me between affordability and performance. Man, I can get a tasman or a salt 1 for just over $50. When I factor in performance and longevity due to higher quality and complete corrosion resistance, I find it a better value even at an extra $20-$30 over the cheapos. And at $55 it is still a knife that if I lose it in the line of duty, I can just go buy another one without losing any sleep over it.
Aloha Surfingringo,

I agree...I used to carry a 1st Gen Yellow handled Salt 1 PE or Pacific PE in the yard. However I often "needed" the abilities of a Hawkbill, and the Tasman was not yet born IIRC. I definitely appreciated the fact that I NEVER had to worry about corrosion. (Totally OT, but you should see what Hawaii does to D2... :eek: )

$55 is still too high for me at the moment, but that's where the Byrd line comes into play. ;)

Be safe and nice to meet a fan of H1!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

DAYWALKER wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I'm no knife snob and have nothing against using cheaper brands. I find, however, that the salt line hits the sweet spot for me between affordability and performance. Man, I can get a tasman or a salt 1 for just over $50. When I factor in performance and longevity due to higher quality and complete corrosion resistance, I find it a better value even at an extra $20-$30 over the cheapos. And at $55 it is still a knife that if I lose it in the line of duty, I can just go buy another one without losing any sleep over it.
Aloha Surfingringo,

I agree...I used to carry a 1st Gen Yellow handled Salt 1 PE or Pacific PE in the yard. However I often "needed" the abilities of a Hawkbill, and the Tasman was not yet born IIRC. I definitely appreciated the fact that I NEVER had to worry about corrosion. (Totally OT, but you should see what Hawaii does to D2... :eek: )

$55 is still too high for me at the moment, but that's where the Byrd line comes into play. ;)

Be safe and nice to meet a fan of H1!
Probably very similar to what Costa Rica does to it. ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Surfingringo wrote:
Probably very similar to what Costa Rica does to it. ;)
LOL...Yup. :D

Be safe!
araneae

Post by araneae »

DAYWALKER wrote:
araneae wrote:
Whoa, a zombie thread has brought out Chad. Long time no see.
LOL...aloha Knifebrother!!! Good to see you still here!
Be safe! :cool:
Good to see you around Chad. I hope all is well.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DAYWALKER wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Hee hee hee! :D Yep, I thought something looked odd when I saw Vampyrewolf posting. ;)
Aloha SpyderNut,

Roger that! When I saw Pat's name, that's when I looked at the date of the thread! :o

Be safe!
Haha! Yes, I thought to myself as I first read this thread, "Did Java give Vampyrewolf some of his high-powered java beans again or what??" :) :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:Dyad would seem like a good option, but it would be a waste of a hard to get knife... If the Endura is a PE, I'd go with the hawk or the Harpy. Huge fan of the Harpy myself :)
Yeah I think the big C-44 Dyad would be a great choice for outdoor work. I've also heard a couple of landscapers say that the H-1 Spyderhawk is also a great blade to use for all types of lawn and garden work. I've personally discovered that all of Spyderco's Hawkills are great for outdoor use. That's one of the reasons I became a hawkbill fanatic was when I personally discovered how well my VG-10 Spyderhawk got me out of a serious jam with some vines a few years back.

But the fully serrated sheepsfoot blade on the big Dyad is a very useful tool for all kinds of uses. But on the other hand don't overlook any of Spyderco's great FRN handled models and I'm especially talking about i.e. Endura, Rescue or any of the Salt Series models.