Compression Lock Liner Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MattM68

Compression Lock Liner Lock

Post by MattM68 »

Would it be possible to put a Compression Lock on the other side of the handle where a liner lock would be? Internally it would be a compression lock, but it would function as a liner lock. I prefer the compression lock on the back, how it currently is, but I know people who prefer the way a liner lock functions. I'm not sure if this has been discussed in the past, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. :)

Matt
Evil D

Re: Compression Lock Liner Lock

Post by Evil D »

The problem is the stop pin that creates the wedge effect that makes a compression lock work. I do wonder if you could add internal stop pins like the Chaparral has and get a similar action. It would be different enough to be a completely different lock though.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Evil D wrote:The problem is the stop pin that creates the wedge effect that makes a compression lock work.
Yes there is no way to put a stop pin on the other side because it would interfere with the blade closing. The compression lock wedges between the stop pin and the blade tang. On the other side of the knife it would be harder to get a direct wedge like that- the wedge would have to occur in front of the pivot and would have to touch the tang at the same time as some part of the handle, so it would have to be more 3-dimensional than just a flat liner. I can visualize several different ways to do it but they would be harder to implement and possibly less reliable than a liner lock.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Couldn't you basically just extend the tab? The lock could remain in the same spot, but the tab could extend to the bottom of the knife.

Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MattM68 wrote:Couldn't you basically just extend the tab? The lock could remain in the same spot, but the tab could extend to the bottom of the knife.

Matt

It would cut through the bottom half of the liner that way. You would end up with a 2 piece liner...you'd have a circle around the pivot, and then the back half of the liner.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

An interesting idea. But my question would be: if your liner lock isn't failing, what's the practical difference between this and a normal liner lock?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

tvenuto wrote:An interesting idea. But my question would be: if your liner lock isn't failing, what's the practical difference between this and a normal liner lock?
Nothing really. It just seems like people want the strongest locks available to them, and if it was operated the same as a liner lock, I feel like people would like it. Like I said earlier, I'd rather have a regular compression lock(I also don't have a problem with liner locks), I just thought it was an interesting idea. :)

Matt
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Turn the knife over....:p
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Great avatar! Giorgio Tsoukalos, huh? Is that where Sal gets all his great ideas? Communication with extra terrestrial entities??
:bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gbelleh wrote:Great avatar! Giorgio Tsoukalos, huh? Is that where Sal gets all his great ideas? Communication with extra terrestrial entities??
That's what ancient astronaut theorists believe... ;)

Notice the Earth in the address Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

How about a Tension-lock, since we already have one for Compression? :p

Or a Scale-lock, instead of Liner-lock... Or Non-Integrated, where you need to insert a separate part to lock the knife, haha.
Going back to Caly.
Kniferbro

Post by Kniferbro »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
gbelleh wrote:Great avatar! Giorgio Tsoukalos, huh? Is that where Sal gets all his great ideas? Communication with extra terrestrial entities??
That's what ancient astronaut theorists believe... ;)

Notice the Earth in the address Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth?

LMAO!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I did a pretty rough little sketch-up of this. Red is the handle and pivot, green is the blade, blue is the liner with compression lock.

I think moving it to the opposite side would create too much twisting. This is probably why the release nub is so short.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The way most compression lock blades swing freely, I'm not sure I'd want to unlock it with a thumb in the path of the blade.
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Our early prototypes were made that way. We still have them around somewhere. There were issues with the length of the tab and rigidity / twisting issues. that's why we moved it to the top. When I first came up with the idea, Frank Centofante was at Spyderco and we worked out a number of ways to release the lock. The patent also includes using a button as a release as well as a variety of tabs.

sal
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

sal wrote:Hi Matt,

When I first came up with the idea, Frank Centofante was at Spyderco and we worked out a number of ways to release the lock. The patent also includes using a button as a release as well as a variety of tabs.

sal
Very interesting Sal. So it's somewhat similar in use to the BM Nak Lock?

While I'm intrigued, I'd say there's no need to mess with perfection. I'd love to see more knives released with the current iteration of the compression lock. On that point, given the discussions of some of the prototypes at Blade show, I (and I'm sure scores of other Spydie fans) am giddy about what awaits us in the next year or two.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Thanks Sal! That's pretty interesting to hear. It would be cool to see some of those old prototypes. I actually just picked up a Military today for my birthday, and I don't doubt the strength of that liner lock at all. Awesome knife, I'm glad I picked it up. :)

Matt
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Pretty sure the naklock is just a liner lock with a tab. I don't have one but that's what it looks like. The comp lock with a tab would be nice.
sal

Post by sal »

VashHash wrote:Pretty sure the naklock is just a liner lock with a tab. I don't have one but that's what it looks like. The comp lock with a tab would be nice.
Essentially the Naklock is a lockback that comes in from the side like a Linerlock or Compression Lock. Sort of a hybrid between a lockback and a linerlock. It's, in my opinion, a good idea, the engineering is challenging. The Naklock is confusing to me as I thought that Warren Osbourne had "invented" a similar lock a decade earlier. Brian Huegel and I have had this discussion as well, but neither of us have any details, and it's really none of our business.

There are a lot of good locks out there now. It kinda started with Blackie Collin's "Bolt Action" lock that was made by Gerber. Then Michael Walker's Linerlock. Then the Axis lock, the Rolling lock by Bob Taylor, The the Compression lock by Spyderco, and onward and upward. Humans are great innovators!

sal
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

6,256,887 7/10/2001 Osborne, Warren J. of Waxahachie, TX - Folding Knife Blade Release Mechanism (Reverse Lugged Liner Lock)
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... /6,256,887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7,987,601 8/2/2011 Nakamura; Seiichi (Seki, Japan) assigned to the Mentor Group, LCC - Folding Tool (Nak-Lok™)
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... /7,987,601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI for anyone who might be interested.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.