Squarehead neck chain?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iwolf81

Squarehead neck chain?

Post by iwolf81 »

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a neck chain for the Squarehead dog tag folder. Any suggestions that would work well with its wide slot?

I just received this knife today, and I appreciate its design! My only nit is that the pointed corners could be less pointy, especially if it will be hanging around the neck.

Thanks,
Ira
Surfingringo

Re: Squarehead neck chain?

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi iwolf, I carry a Dogtag folder daily and use this setup. Makes the knife super useful!
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=67765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, I have to get over the the Off-Topic section more often, I hadn't even seen your thread Lance! I have a screw-type version of a break-away on my Dogtag, but it takes a few seconds to unscrew on and off. So given my complete lack of self-control with buying little gizmos like the ones you found on Amazon, I'll be trying the magnet type soon (I got the Al version)! It looks like a really great solution!

BTW, I have some much larger versions of these types of magnets, and I bet someone crafty (like yourself ;)) could figure out some type of boat rig that you could securely stash a larger blade onto/into the kayak frame (well away from your appendages). The ones I have are roughly the diameter of a nickel or quarter and they seem like a few of them could easily hold me up! You could just place one of the outside of the hull to securely hold its mate anywhere you want on the inside of the hull, plus the knife...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Wow, I have to get over the the Off-Topic section more often, I hadn't even seen your thread Lance! I have a screw-type version of a break-away on my Dogtag, but it takes a few seconds to unscrew on and off. So given my complete lack of self-control with buying little gizmos like the ones you found on Amazon, I'll be trying the magnet type soon (I got the Al version)! It looks like a really great solution!

BTW, I have some much larger versions of these types of magnets, and I bet someone crafty (like yourself ;)) could figure out some type of boat rig that you could securely stash a larger blade onto/into the kayak frame (well away from your appendages). The ones I have are roughly the diameter of a nickel or quarter and they seem like a few of them could easily hold me up! You could just place one of the outside of the hull to securely hold its mate anywhere you want on the inside of the hull, plus the knife...
hmmmm...I like that idea! I think maybe it would be a good way to mount a fixed blade in sheath. Have one of the magnets glued to the sheath and the other mounted inside the yak. Then you could just stick the knife sheath to the side of the kayak. I was going to glue or rivet the sheath to the seating well of the kayak but I would much rather have a system like that where I could remove the sheath and knife at the end of the day.

As far as the small magnets, I highly recommend them for the Dogtag. I wear and use mine all the time now. That carry system is a complete game changer for the dogtag.